Notices

My first weekend sober.... Anxiety through the roof!

Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first weekend sober.... Anxiety through the roof!

I decided out of nowhere to put the bottle down and get sober only 5 days ago. (I began to see a gallon of vokda being consumed in less then 4 days was a problem). Although this week has been the hardest week I have ever endured I faught the urges and withdrawal and didn't drink at all.

But now the weekend is approaching and I don't have work to distract myself I don't know how to make it through without having just maybe one drink. I'm afraid I'm not strong enough. But I don't want to hibernate either. I don't know life without a drink in my hand. Feels scary and uncomfortable. I want to drink yet I don't at all. Stuck.

Help please.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Amberose2 View Post
...I don't know how to make it through without having just maybe one drink.
Maybe one drink? If you could have maybe one drink, you wouldn't be on Sober Recovery. But you can't. So you are here, seeking sobriety.

You can do it. Plan for the weekend. Stay busy, resume old hobbies, and don't let boredom or the fear of "missing out on fun" drive you back to the bottle. You won't be a hermit forever, but it wouldn't hurt to be one this weekend to avoid temptation. But if you must venture out, pick sober things to do...not bars or clubs.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in the same position amberose2. Determined to check in with you all tommorow though and proclaim day 1 done and dusted. How about you ?
Cuckoo
Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You can do it!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
I am in the same position amberose2. Determined to check in with you all tommorow though and proclaim day 1 done and dusted. How about you ?
Cuckoo
What is your plan? I'm told I should have a plan in place but I don't know what to do.
@cuckoo
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At this stage its just to not drink. I am meeting a friend in Costas for coffee at 5pm which is usually my witchy twitchy time !
After that its just home and hunker down for the evening. Maybe watch a film with my daughter. Thats it for today. What do you think you will do ?
C
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At this stage its just to not drink. I am meeting a friend in Costas for coffee at 5pm which is usually my witchy twitchy time !
After that its just home and hunker down for the evening. Maybe watch a film with my daughter. Thats it for today. What do you think you will do ?
C
I'm not sure. Getting through the workday won't be to bad but I need to make plans for after when I would normally run to the bottle. I wish I could just hunker down but my partner is also in go go go go mode. That sounds like a great plan you have. Its hard. Is it this hard for you too??? @cuckoo
Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. Its going to be difficult. I think that drinking as we have been has been selfish so a bit more selfish time wont hurt. Have to do whats best for us and our road to recovery not what other people want from us
C
Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey you two. Im 16 weeks sober. Its bloody great. I have a life now. No hangovers dragging me down and lots of time to do things that got put to one side for the usual two bottles of wine a night. Ok so this weekend will seem weird and your AV (addictive voice) will be nagging on and on but ride it out. Its worth it for how great you will feel in a little while. Log into here and read posts from all different sides....family and friends, newcomers etc. It will inspire. Hugs Xx
Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi girls I totally agree I'm four months sober and my god it's an amazing feeling ...
Be kind to yourselves
Watch TV .binge on Netflix
Read .walk
Eat ice cream till it comes out of your ears
Chocolate whatever ...
Pamper yourselves and remember the weekend is only two days it will come and go
Bugs hugs
Keep posting
You can do it
Caralara ❤️
Old 04-27-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

How about seeing the new Avengers movie? Even by yourself? For the most part it's a few hours of distraction in a place where you can't drink.

During the day...museums? Hiking? Beach walking? Anything to keep moving and distracted.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

What is your plan? I'm told I should have a plan in place but I don't know what to do.
@cuckoo
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR, Amberose; very glad that you found us.

There's some really good advice above.

Let's stay sober together.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
Hey you two. Im 16 weeks sober. Its bloody great. I have a life now. No hangovers dragging me down and lots of time to do things that got put to one side for the usual two bottles of wine a night. Ok so this weekend will seem weird and your AV (addictive voice) will be nagging on and on but ride it out. Its worth it for how great you will feel in a little while. Log into here and read posts from all different sides....family and friends, newcomers etc. It will inspire. Hugs Xx

I was actually at a friends house last night and they were all drinking and the temptation was real. However I discovered last night that I didn't NEED the liquor to socialize. There is a different person inside of me that I was drowning with liquor. I don't know it felt kind of good to walk out of there and been strong enough to fight every urge. It feels even better to wake up this morning with no hangover and a full memory of everything that happened last night every conversation all of it. Its nice. And I even was on here at the friends house reading. finding encouragement. Thank you all for your kind words and sharing.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
J50

I was actually at a friends house last night and they were all drinking and the temptation was real. However I discovered last night that I didn't NEED the liquor to socialize. There is a different person inside of me that I was drowning with liquor. I don't know it felt kind of good to walk out of there and been strong enough to fight every urge. It feels even better to wake up this morning with no hangover and a full memory of everything that happened last night every conversation all of it. Its nice. And I even was on here at the friends house reading. finding encouragement. Thank you all for your kind words and sharing.
I think true recovery occurs when you get to a point where you realize that you don't want and don't need alcohol. A point where you can be around others who are drinking, but it doesn't faze you, because you know it's not something you want to do. I don't know how long it takes to get to that point but it looks like you are on the right track!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

I don't know how to make it through without having just maybe one drink.
I didn't know how either until I did it. Every time I have done since then it gets easier and I get more comfortable doing it. It now is my normal and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything or have it any other way. I now have over 15 years of recovery. I don't say that to pat myself on the back, but just to provide hope that it is indeed doable and enjoyable.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on last night AmberRose. Awesome willpower and sneaky peaking SR as well.
I have spent this afternoon reading (This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay).
Very funny book written by a real doctor about his experiences in his job. Its sad, honest, funny. I thoroughly recommend it.
Have a sober Saturday evening.
C
Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done on last night AmberRose. Awesome willpower and sneaky peaking SR as well.
I have spent this afternoon reading (This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay).
Very funny book written by a real doctor about his experiences in his job. Its sad, honest, funny. I thoroughly recommend it.
Have a sober Saturday evening.
C
I will definitely check it out thank you for the recommending it! And last night was tough but as I was leaving I did feel a tiny sense of "yay amber maybe you can do this" it was great
Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the natural inclination of many of us is to road test our recovery and put ourselves in situations of being around drinkers cos thats all we know - but thats not always the best way to go.

I avoided alcohol and other drinkers for a while. Didn't mean I stayed home with the curtains drawn - I just got a little more creative about what I did for fun - coffee dates, movies, picnics, walks, sports hobbies...

I was lucky I had a few friends who went along with me.
I made lots of new ones too

D