SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Changes since stopped drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426861-changes-since-stopped-drinking.html)

Soberlife35 04-26-2018 02:53 PM

Changes since stopped drinking

I just wanted to discuss the changes I've noticed since I quit drinking one month ago, some of you might know from my last post I'm struggling with forgiving myself and letting go however I'm trying to focus on the positives I've noticed. First thing is how great it is to wake up and not be hungover or have the dread of what happened the night before, to actually be clear headed and well rested. I've noticed I'm sleeping a lot better, takes a while to get to sleep but once I'm gone I'm gone, no more passing out then waking up numerous times during the night. My skin's also looking great and the heartburn I was getting on a daily basis is gone completely, at one point I think I as keeping Rennies in business. I no longer feel bloated all the time and I've started eating healthier and exercising after my initial first 2 weeks when all I wanted to do was eat sweets ( I've heard sugar craving is normal) all in all I'm feeling good and looking better than I've done in years. I'm interested to know what changes you guys noticed when you quit?x

Cuckoo 04-26-2018 03:04 PM

Thanks soberlife5.
I would love to hear peoples comments 😁

easyontheeyes 04-26-2018 03:19 PM

Soberlife, how great! I definitely experienced all of the changes you've outlined ... I've always been an early riser, but I love waking up fresh and hangover free. I am also sooo damn glowy now that I've stopped. My skin looks amazing, if I do say so myself. I also laugh so much more and my anxiety and depression are so much better. I'm 102 days in, and it just keeps getting better...although I will admit...I am still indulging in more sweets than I should be.

Mandy73 04-26-2018 07:03 PM

I'm only a few weeks in but. I'm sleeping better, dreaming of cheesecake instead of booze, and my head is def clearer.

daveglass1 04-26-2018 10:12 PM

I feel like Im never going to die - its like living on a white fluffy cloud with only blue skies above. Maybe closer to heaven that Id thought - or it could be a reaction to medication. Happy dayz ! 🤠
Dave.

b0glerd69 04-26-2018 11:48 PM

I am 6 months in. Off the top of my head:
I have lost weight,
skin looks better,
sleep well,
less stressed,
more able to deal with life's little frustrations,
much better husband and father,
more money,
I've rekindled many things I used to enjoy when younger (e.g. going to see live music),
no shame and guilt,
better performance at work,
I now appreciate the world around me more,
I feel gratitude; and
generally speaking, I am much, much happier.

Regards

b

Soberlife35 04-27-2018 12:41 AM

I woke up this morning and it's a beautiful day where I am. Normally on my days off work I would still be in bed, hungover riddled with shame, spend the rest of the day either in bed or on the sofa, blinds down until I went to the shops for more alcohol, today however I'm up, been out a walk, planning my day ahead. Soberity really is a wonderful thing and I'm now excited for the future. X

Buckley3 04-27-2018 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Soberlife35 (Post 6873719)
I woke up this morning and it's a beautiful day where I am. Normally on my days off work I would still be in bed, hungover riddled with shame, spend the rest of the day either in bed or on the sofa, blinds down until I went to the shops for more alcohol, today however I'm up, been out a walk, planning my day ahead. Soberity really is a wonderful thing and I'm now excited for the future. X

Yea, it really can be this good. I'm approaching 90 days and of late I've been experiencing less anxiety than ever, genuinely happy, etc. etc.. And all that in the face of still cleaning up and facing some wreckage from my previous life as a binger.

Great post! We don't have to be victims. We shouldn't be in fact. And we definitely should not treat this like a eulogy or a funeral - sobriety can be a celebration!

B

ClearPath64 04-27-2018 03:34 AM

Oh yeah, happy to chime in on this one on Day 34.

- Mornings are SO much better. Love the clarity, and how much better my coffee tastes.
- Genuine interaction with my teenage son.
- Taking care of myself in other ways.
- Smiling
- Having hope
- Thinking about the goods things that the day may have in store.

Just scratching the surface. How about this? Everything is better. What do I miss about drinking? Nothing.

JimiC 04-27-2018 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by b0glerd69 (Post 6873702)
I am 6 months in. Off the top of my head:
I have lost weight,
skin looks better,
sleep well,
less stressed,
more able to deal with life's little frustrations,
much better husband and father,
more money,
I've rekindled many things I used to enjoy when younger (e.g. going to see live music),
no shame and guilt,
better performance at work,
I now appreciate the world around me more,
I feel gratitude; and
generally speaking, I am much, much happier.

Regards

b

Wow, exact same for me so I’ll just quote :)

Especially appreciating life everyday, being positive and seeing lots of live music.

Eaglelizard 04-27-2018 05:49 AM

I feel like Thomas Jane in "The Punisher (2004)", except without the Wild Turkey. Lean, mean, and ready to fight. Bring on your zombie hordes!

Dustitoffman 04-27-2018 06:06 AM

For me things went bad before they started to improve.

Tension
stress
mind games
More tension
brain fog
Cognitive dysfunction
Depression just a few of many

Things did get better slowly and steadily for me.
I am well into 3 months and agree very much with the positive list that
B0glerd69 put.
I will add that Hope has shon a light.
Hope is a beautiful thing when it starts to take over from the feeling of futile desperation.
I hope that you get the pink cloud that others speak of. I did not experience anything like a pink cloud moment.
It's been a tough and bumpy road but things are much better than they have been.
I am looking forward to experiencing the improvements that sobriety still holds in store for me.
Best wishes��Dusty

thomas11 04-27-2018 06:13 AM

The most dramatic changes I noticed was the quality of my sleep, and my appetite. I sleep like a baby and I eat like a normal person now. I'm hungry all the time. When drinking i'd eat once a day.

tealily 04-27-2018 07:14 AM

I remember making a similar list when I was only about 6 weeks in to no drinking. I looked it up and here it is... I'm now coming up on a year: It only gets better!
----------------

-- I'm sleeping great, waking up rested and relieved, and falling asleep naturally at a decent hour, not just "passing out".

-- My blood pressure was 119/73 a few minutes ago, after having crept up to worrisome levels only a few months ago when I was daily drinking.

-- I've lost 6 pounds and my stomach is almost flat, after looking like I was 7 months pregnant with bloat just a few months ago.

-- I'm taking the antidepressant that had been prescribed to me but which I had stopped taking so I could drink.

-- I have been laughing out loud.

-- I have an early morning appointment tomorrow, and I don't need to worry if I will have wine seeping from my pores when I go in.

-- My skin looks glowier, my face less puffy, and my eyes white instead of bloodshot.

-- I'm in my 50s, and I'm getting more compliments/looks lately than I've had in years and years.

-- I've saved at least $550 on wine alone. I used to drink about a bottle a day. That's the calories of eating a Big Mac every single night.

I'm only 55 days in, so I know there's more good to come.

I truly see I was poisoning my mind and body.

Hope this encourages someone

b0glerd69 04-27-2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by JC-NY (Post 6873820)
Wow, exact same for me so I’ll just quote :)

Especially appreciating life everyday, being positive and seeing lots of live music.

I'm off to see LCD Soundsystem in May, the Eels in June and Natalie Merchant in July.. was at Jethro Tull recently.. surreal :)

JimiC 04-27-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by b0glerd69 (Post 6874065)
I'm off to see LCD Soundsystem in May, the Eels in June and Natalie Merchant in July.. was at Jethro Tull recently.. surreal :)

Excellent! I didn't know Tull was touring, thought it was Ian as a solo act. I saw them at MSG in 1979. My last big shows were Roger Waters and Judas Priest, I'm seeing mostly local bands and love getting out.

Now back to the fantastic positive changes sobriety brings!

Soberlife35 04-27-2018 11:37 AM

I'm also loving making plans and not breaking them, I was awful when drunk to make plans with friends and family then cancelling them last minute as I was too hungover to leave the house or I wanted to drink alone. At least now sober when I make plans I stick to them and genuinely look forward to them. 😊x

MindfulMan 04-27-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JC-NY (Post 6874086)
Excellent! I didn't know Tull was touring, thought it was Ian as a solo act. I saw them at MSG in 1979. My last big shows were Roger Waters and Judas Priest, I'm seeing mostly local bands and love getting out.

Now back to the fantastic positive changes sobriety brings!

I saw them at MSG in 1978. It was recorded and beamed to the UK, and made into a concert video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_a...re_Garden_1978