SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just back from A and E (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426860-just-back-e.html)

Primativo 04-26-2018 02:30 PM

Just back from A and E

Reached out to my local GP and mental health services after a two week drink binge where I've been drinking from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed. There have been multiple instances of these binges so it's not the first, although this has been the worst by amount consumers per day. It's got to the point where I've been waking up at 4am every night after 2 hours sleep full of anxiety and terrible terrible thoughts. Hence why I reached out for support.

GP sent me straight to A&E after I met her to be treated for alcohol detox. Had IV fluid and was given a tablet when at hospital. Then examined by a psychiatrist who informed me I should never drink again as I've become alcohol dependent. He also gave many pearls of wisdom about much needed lifetstyle changes, am now entering into a recovery phase with my local community alcohol recovery services.

I'm scared. I'm scared that I have to face up to a life without alcohol but I know deep down that is the best thing for me. Controlled drinking is just wishful thinking.

Anyway here I am. Currently trying to taper off my alcohol intake as I've been advised not to go cold turkey. No idea the tablet they gave me at hospital but it's made me feel a bit buzzy which is slightly uncomfortable. Apparently it's to stop the shakes and such.

I've been self medicating with alcohol for years but now it's got to the stage where it's ruining my life.

andyh 04-26-2018 02:52 PM

hi Primativo & welcome to SR :)

sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it, but you've come to a good place.

it sounds like you're in the UK? if so, I've had a similar experience at A&E - IV fluids, a talking to, a tablet or two of Librium or Valium & then kicked back out of the door :(

I don't know whether you've talked to your local alcohol team yet, but they may be able to arrange an outpatient (ie at home) detox for you which is safer & a lot more comfortable than trying to taper on alcohol.

I know it's probably pretty scary for you at the moment, but you're doing the right thing & you're not alone.

:grouphug:

brighterday1234 04-26-2018 02:58 PM

Check out some AA meetings.

Dee74 04-26-2018 04:12 PM

Hi and welcome Primativo :)

It is scary but quittign drinking was the best decision I ever made :)

I drank like it sounds you did - this place and the support in it, helped me turn my life around. I know we can help you too :)

D

Rar 04-26-2018 04:23 PM

Hi and Welcome to SR Primativo. I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it right now, but it will get better. Hang in there.

Anna 04-26-2018 04:31 PM

Welcome and I'm so glad that you know controlled drinking doesn't work for us alcoholics. It is really scary to be facing stopping drinking and recovering. Please know that we do understand and we are here for you.

Arpeggioh 04-26-2018 04:47 PM

I know you're scared of the idea of no alcohol; it's a bit overwhelming to consider at first...

...but you should be more scared of continuing to drink yourself to the point of needing medical treatment; I've heard that liver failure is a nasty way to go out of this world. I was getting close to that point myself when I finally accepted that I couldn't drink anymore.

It sounds like you're reaching that point yourself. Don't think of it as giving something up; think of it as keeping yourself alive, because it really does get that serious.

Please take advantage of the local support you have available, and follow their instructions. If you can muscle through the initial detoxification, it gets better every single day that you're sober, I promise. And hang out here, and let us know how you're doing. We've all been there...

SweatyHands 04-26-2018 07:59 PM

Since it was your GP who referred you, maybe your GP could prescribe he necessary meds to detox safely, without trying to taper. I know from experience how difficult tapering is, and I would never recommend it if a medically assisted detox is a possibility.

Good on you for taking the first step to get medical help with this! It sounds like you are ready to step into a life of recovery. Aside from marrying my wife, getting sober is the best thing that I’ve ever done.

Keep posting, and let us onow hpw you’re doing

DontRemember 04-26-2018 09:53 PM

Welcome...I was scared of a life without ever drinking again too...weird thing when you 'dumb it down' and see it for what it is...a waste of;time,money,energy,life. It's well worth the quit! I can't say I'll never drink again,but it's not in my plans. There's a lot of great support and advice on this site.

Forward12 04-26-2018 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Primativo (Post 6873285)
Anyway here I am. Currently trying to taper off my alcohol intake as I've been advised not to go cold turkey.
I've been self medicating with alcohol for years but now it's got to the stage where it's ruining my life.

The UK for some reason recommends the taper method for withdrawal. Not as a doc, but from your medical care I would cold turkey from here and get your rear end to AA daily. Just a couple sips leaves the door wide open for another trip right back to the ER, or worse,...

Pulaski 04-27-2018 12:44 AM

The UK doesn't really do 'rehab' unless you're a rich celebrity. They advise cutting down/tapering because they medically can't advise cold turkey. The support service I was referred was OK but never told me outright I had to stop or that it needed to be permanent. I worked that out for myself though (with help from SR) . Because I'd stopped at various times before with no really bad effects I just did it again but his time for good (well 4 months and counting ...)

PhoenixJ 04-27-2018 01:52 AM

Tapering off was dangerous for me. I had seizures. Could you get support from your GP, and do the 5 day valium thing..with supervision. Much safer.
Support to you.

Primativo 04-27-2018 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 6873304)
hi Primativo & welcome to SR :)

sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it, but you've come to a good place.

it sounds like you're in the UK? if so, I've had a similar experience at A&E - IV fluids, a talking to, a tablet or two of Librium or Valium & then kicked back out of the door :(

I don't know whether you've talked to your local alcohol team yet, but they may be able to arrange an outpatient (ie at home) detox for you which is safer & a lot more comfortable than trying to taper on alcohol.

I know it's probably pretty scary for you at the moment, but you're doing the right thing & you're not alone.

:grouphug:

Thank you. :) Yes I'm in the UK.

I contacted my local detox service earlier this week by phone which is in the same hospital I went to A&E. They called me back for a quick chat on Tuesday but said I'd be properly assessed in a week which was no use to me as I needed support immediately. However when I arrived at hospital yesterday their alcohol liaison person got in touch with the detox team and said to get in touch and chased it up for me. Apparently I'll receive a call today.

It's been 9 hours since my last drink now and I managed to avoid waking up at 5am and having a drink so at least I've got through that initial period so that tablet did it's job. Having huge cravings to drink right now but going to try to keep nyself busy and distracted. I know the cravings will pass but it's easier said than done.

Primativo 04-27-2018 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6873749)
Tapering off was dangerous for me. I had seizures. Could you get support from your GP, and do the 5 day valium thing..with supervision. Much safer.
Support to you.

I've been given 6 valium so just taken my first one now. Hopefully that helps. Psychiatrist prescribed them to take one a day against his better judgement. Warned not to drink on them and has instructed my GP never to let me have them again. On the plus side he said I'm not mentally ill.

He also said he was going to instruct DVLA to suspend my driving license but I said I was gutted if he did that so he agreed not to.:thanks

andyh 04-27-2018 07:23 AM

how are you doing Primativo? have you heard from the alcohol team?

Primativo 04-27-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 6874034)
how are you doing Primativo? have you heard from the alcohol team?

I'm not doing well. Back in hospital as had a bad anxiety attack lunchtime and went pale and clammy. Bloods have come back today and they are ok initially. Having huge cravings for a drink and feel like I'm losing my mind. Got no access to alcohol here so that's making me feel anxious. Might ask them for meds to calm me down. The valium this morning didn't do much. I could absolutely necka bottle of wine right now.

Not heard from the alcohol team yet.

Primativo 04-27-2018 08:35 AM

I knew today would be tough but not this tough.

The Dr suggested I have a small glass of wine to settle my anxiety down but we all know I'll end up doing the bottle and then where will it end.

ScottFromWI 04-27-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Primativo (Post 6874095)
The Dr suggested I have a small glass of wine to settle my anxiety down

I'd recommend you find a different doctor.

andyh 04-27-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Primativo (Post 6874095)
I knew today would be tough but not this tough.

The Dr suggested I have a small glass of wine to settle my anxiety down but we all know I'll end up doing the bottle and then where will it end.

<sigh> addiction is really badly understood, even by many doctors :(

can you see if you can get hold of the alcohol team before they disappear for the weekend?

Primativo 04-27-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 6874106)
<sigh> addiction is really badly understood, even by many doctors :(

can you see if you can get hold of the alcohol team before they disappear for the weekend?

Missed them by an hour. I should have chased them up earlier but they were supposed to call me today. Now they aren't around until Monday.