Notices

Alternative drinks

Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative drinks

I apologize if this is in the wrong part of the forum but it's my first day here so go easy I'm looking for alternative things to drink on the weekend evenings (normally the time when I drank alcohol) I don't have a "trigger" as I mainly drank beer then when that ran out whatever I could find in the house. I find that soda gets a little repetitive and I drink coffee/tea during the day. I have asked friends who have quit this same question and they all agree that it's a learning curve to find something non-alcoholic to enjoy.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, I have lots of time to "stock up" for Friday night and the wonderful thing is if I need anything I will be sober and very able to drive to the store

Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Water with lemon, lime, strawberries or orange slices.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't see the need for me to have a replacement drink around the house. When I am thirsty, I drink water. Sometimes some sugar free coolaid. I have always been a big water drinker. When I go out to dinner, I have a slice of lemon in it. You could start drinking a lot of water. Not as a substitute but for health reasons.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I don't see the need for me to have a replacement drink around the house. When I am thirsty, I drink water. Sometimes some sugar free coolaid. I have always been a big water drinker. When I go out to dinner, I have a slice of lemon in it. You could start drinking a lot of water. Not as a substitute but for health reasons.
True, maybe it is best to break the replacement habit completely. My wife is able to sit and have 1 or 2 glasses of wine and call it a night. I was aiming at finding something I can enjoy as well. Perhaps breaking the cycle and finding an alternative to the "norm" is key on my weekends.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I suggest you don't drink from the same type of glass you poured your beer in or if you were a bottle/can guy..don't drink from that type of container.

Sounds simple I know...but the feel of drinking alcohol and not getting the buzz was unsettleing to me in my early sober days...

My drinks of choice...year round...at home or out....Ice Tea or Water with Lemon.

Good to see you again....
Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

I have been rediscovering soft drinks that I enjoyed as a child - particularly Gingerbeer (non-alcoholic of course!)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peony1 View Post
I have been rediscovering soft drinks that I enjoyed as a child - particularly Gingerbeer (non-alcoholic of course!)

I am not sure what gingerbeer is. Is it like root beer? I loved rootbeer as a kid. Especially a rootbeer float. I also use to love cream soda and bottled pepsi. I don't drink sodas now but every once in a while I have a craving. Think I am going buy some diet rootbeer and low fat icecream for a root beer float. Thanks for bringing back some of the good childhood memories.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still stuggle a little with this question. I enjoy soda but all the sugar keeps me from having more than 1. I don't like diet or sugar free drinks that are artificially sweetened. However, I do really like peach fresca and black cherry fresca. For some reason, I can't taste the artificial stuff as much in those. I also like fruity teas because the fruit gives a bit of natural sweetness.
I drink a lot of La Croix sparkling water which comes in a variety of flavors. Sometimes it gets tricky though because it's what I used to mix my vodka with! So.... I stick with new flavors or flavors I didn't usually mix with in the past.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had root beer in the US and didn't really like it much. My other half loves it. Ginger beer is perhaps a UK thing? You can get it diet as well. Rather sweeter than Ginger Ale. I love it and I'm going to use this time as a great opportunity to check out the oldie drinks from the 70s (well, those still around)! Love your idea for the ice cream floats as well...

I am very sad but googled it in the US and it says that you can get it in some wholefood stores.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Ginger Beer is out there, at least here in Baltimore, I generally buy Goslings, but I also see Reeds and a few other brands, generally in the soda isle with the 'specialty' sodas.

I also love San Pellegrino mineral water. (Sparkling) Perrier is nice too, though not quite as 'minerally' seeming.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Arnold Palmer's for me, 1/2 iced tea 1/2 lemonade. Arizona iced tea markets it now but you can get it made at any restaurant. I had a waitress ask me if I wanted to make it a John Daly by adding vodka...uh... no thanks- lol
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Go out and get a few different things that you've never had before. Fuze is really good, and the Simply Naked fruit drinks are good too. I never really had anything like that I liked enough to spend the money on, and now it feels like a reward!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hello and welcome
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I learned about this concoction here and it's delish. Pineapple juice and Sprite w/ a splash of grenadine, on ice. I also sometimes do cranberry juice with a flavored sparkling water. I agree..pop gets old, so these are nice alternatives when you want something fizzy. Welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I stay away from most soda as it's really bad for you. I do like Arnold Palmers. For a special treAt I have a Ginger mixer that I drink with seltzer water. It's made by Powell & Mahoney and can be tricky to find but it's got an awesome bite, if you like that sort of thing. Also, Ginger beer which I find drier than Ginger ale.

There is actually a ton of stuff if you start looking and experimenting
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since quitting my 12+ beers a day habit I'm much more mindful of my sugar intake and glucose levels.

Peppermint Hot Tea - all evening. It's what I look forward to most when I get home from work. No sugar, very relaxing.

When I'm out for dinners and people have cocktails before dinner I'll get a perrier or other carbinated water, twist of lime. Very sippable. Doesn't stand out at all so few people would ever ask or notice (if it's an occasion that might be the preference). I also find it very enjoyable.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to stop my weekend drinking as well, and I am trying different flavored carbonated waters, which many are good. There have been a lot of companies coming out with these lately. I also do club soda with a splash of cranberry juice sometimes. I am also drinking more tea lately.

The difficult thing are the triggers that make me want the real deal, so still working on getting past those.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Speaking only for myself, when I quit drinking I did not try to substitute anything. I got cravings and urges like anyone but they eventually died down a bit. Now the things I drink are the things I drank before I was old enough to drink alcohol. Things like milk, orange juice, soda, coffee and plenty of water. I also only drink when I'm thirsty, I no longer need to be sipping on something. I dunno.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Here in La La Land, sober is the new black. At trendy restaurants we don’t have bartenders, we have “mixologists.” A lot of places have a list of mocktails now, and if not, your friendly mixologist is usually more than happy to come up with one for you when you’re out for dinner or whatever.

Keto diet means no sugar, so for me it’s usually sparkling water (if I’m not being completely keto strict I will live on the edge and add a splash of juice), water, or iced tea.

If I’m at a Mexican place I will get a margarita with orange juice and a squeeze of lemon instead of the tequila. The Margie flavors go so well with Mexican food, and the OJ/lemon version is really delicious.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Finding the same.

Hate water with a passion.

Diet gingerbeer, sparkling water with lime ice and splash of chili sauce