Notices

Still here, still sober, and still eating cheesecake

Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still here, still sober, and still eating cheesecake

I had a drinking dream last night. It was my birthday and I wanted to drink to celebrate. But I haven't had a drink in about 3 months now and I never want to go back to that horrible place.

I found a sponsor. I made a comment to someone in my new home group that seemed to bother him (but I think it bothered me more. I said that I thought it was helpful in a marriage to go out occasionally without the kids. He and his wife have never done that. I didn't just say it out of the blue, we were having a conversation about marriage and kids). My sponsor said the next week I should apologize to him for my comment. So, I went up to him and apologized. He said, in kind of a nasty tone, "What does that have to do with MEEE?" It was very awkward because I didn't know how to respond.

It's minor but I am trying to learn how to deal with people.

Still not drinking but definitely still eating cheesecake. Somehow I've only gained 3 lbs. But I am focusing on NOT drinking today vs. worrying about what I am eating.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you find another sponsor? I dont see why you should apologise. Thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

Well done on the 3 months. Xx
Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think apologies are also for you, though. I mean if it was bugging you and you felt you owed an apology or you couldn't let it go, then an apology was a good idea.

How he reacts (to anything) is his business. Not your side of the street.

With that said, it was an opinion - not a command, was it? Let it go and accept that there are many opinions. People in AA are not always going to agree with you and you aren't going to agree with them. That's just life, really.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

He should chill out.

His reaction was more about himself and his feelings about his marriage than you. Otherwise it wouldn't have bugged him.

FWIW, I feel the same way. I've never been married nor have kids, so what do I know. My observation over the years is that people who can do things just for each other once in a while are happier, so I tend to agree with you.

I know two couples with kids under two. One has a date night every week, the other (their child is a bit younger) really don't want to go out, but they didn't go out much before they had kids.

Both couples took a long weekend off with me at Coachella last weekend. They both missed the kids, but both seemed glad to have a break.

You definitely need a new sponsor.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you chowchow

I assume your apology was along the lines of being sorry if you offended him.
Thats a good thing to do.

His response has nothing to do with you
Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Chochow,

I agree with Dee and the others, his response has nothing to do with you. He's just a socially awkward person who cannot accept apologies gracefully. Good for you for keeping your side of the street clean

Congratulations on 3 months!!! and have a slice of cheesecake for me

Old 04-27-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Apologize for what? your sponsor sounds bat**** crazy

Last edited by Dee74; 04-27-2018 at 06:24 PM.