Notices

Hi Everyone -- New to the Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone -- New to the Forum

Hi Everyone,

I felt it time to finally introduce myself so I stop feeling guilty for reading all of the comments yet not participating.

I went through IOP in 2008. During and after that I went to a few AA meetings and half-heartedly tried to embrace it. I didn't care for it and for the next 9 years stayed clean basically through self-will and practicing gratitude. Then in June of 2017 I relapsed. Hard. The first drink I took in over 9 years wasn't even down my throat yet and I said to myself, "This isn't going to end well". I started drinking every day, from 6:00 am til about 9:00 pm every day. The depression and anxiety became crippling, I lost 20 pounds I could ill afford to lose, and I began to alienate not only my professional career but my wonderful family as well.

Somehow I kept my drinking a secret from everyone for a couple months. As the weight loss, unkempt appearance, and slurred speech progressed, the cat was out of the bag.

I woke up on the morning of December 17th shaking, sweating, unable to walk, and convinced that I was dying. I made it out of the bedroom and asked my wife if she could take me to the hospital. After detox I entered an IOP again and started to going to AA again. This time I gave it 100%, and it has really made the difference over the first time I went through this. I have a sponsor, I'm working the steps, and going to 3-4 meetings a week. I continue working on mindfulness, gratitude, and humility. So far, so good. Just passed 4 months of sobriety last week and feel pretty good. I found this website at random a couple months ago and have drawn quite a bit of strength and encouragement from all of your posts, encouragement to other members, and unwavering support you all have with one another. I'm very glad I found you all.

I'm working hard on regaining the trust that I have lost with my family--especially my wife--but I know that takes time. I have a great support group surrounding me, and this site has become an integral part of that support foundation.

To those struggling, it can be done. It will get better. It's hard work--daily--but so worth it. I'll stop my rambling. Thanks everyone, glad to be here.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your sober time Roger and welcome to SR

D
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Roger15; really glad that you joined us.

Congratulations on your sober time, both past and present.

Sobriety and recovery offer an exponentially better way to live. So glad that you are once again living it!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for poking your head around the curtain and sharing your experience! Posting is a whole other facet of this amazing forum, one I'm still trying to do more often.

"The first drink I took in over 9 years wasn't even down my throat yet and I said to myself, "This isn't going to end well".

I did the same thing after 8 years sober, and we were right! It got ugly real fast, and for me, lasted many more years. It's a good reminder against complacency: I can proudly count thirteen months sober, but remain completely humble and aware of how easily I could jump off the cliff again.

Hope to read more from you; let's not drink today!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addiction is serious. Very serious and
as we continue to read in the news or
hear of friends and loved ones affected
by it, it is definitely alive and well taking
down so many, too young to die from it.

Taking responsibility for our addiction,
doing something positive about it, turning
our sick lives around, we then begin to
heal and repair the damage from it.

Yes, it will take time, remembering that
we didn't just get sick in one day but from
yrs of abuse to our minds, bodies, and souls
of putting poisonous, toxins in our systems.

Getting into continuous recovery for
our addiction is important and necessary
if we want to be successful in all areas
of our life.

We need to hear from folks like you who
continue to share your ESH - experiences,
strengths and hopes of what your like was
and is like before, during and after addiction.

Sharing your inspirational journey with
us is noted, helpful as well as appreciated.

Thank you ...!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Roger. Welcome to SR. I'm glad you're here. I'm no stranger to relapse and I agree that it does escalate and go downhill fast. SR is a special place. I hope you stick around and post often. Congratulations on your sobriety. .
Old 04-24-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, Roger?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Big welcome, Roger! You have found a great place.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Roger, and welcome! I had my last drink on 12/17, so we are in this thing together. Thanks for sharing your story, and hopefully you will keep posting!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Roger - a compelling first post.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

My story is somewhat similar to yours. I was a daily drinker when my work day ended, but needed to quit after several years of this. I finally quit drinking in 2004. I was able to quit by myself. The first month or so was tough, trying to break the old habits, but then I managed to stay sober for 5 1/2 years. I don't remember it being that difficult after the first month.

Then I then got the notion that I really wasn't an alcoholic and I decided that I could have a couple of beers in a restaurant with my dinner. Well, it wasn't long before I was right back into my old habits. However, this time it was much worse and I couldn't stay sober very long. After a few days of drinking I could stop, however I would start again within a week or two. Then I would go off on another 3 day bender followed by 7 - 10 days of sobriety, and on and on. And the hangovers and physical withdrawal symptoms were getting pretty ugly.

After a year of this on again, off again sobriety I discovered this website and hauled my butt to AA because I couldn't quit by myself.

I recently celebrated 8 years of sobriety. If I can do it, so can you!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the fine welcome everyone. SoberLeigh, I'm doing pretty well today, thanks. Hope you all are as well. I'm currently working on my 4th step. Not cool with all of the memories and feelings it's bringing up, which means I must be doing it somewhat "correctly". The weather here is finally starting to break, so adding a lot of outdoor time to my recovery won't do anything but help. Just having the windows open today made me slightly giddy.