SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Intoxalock Blues (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426676-intoxalock-blues.html)

Rodney18 04-22-2018 12:50 PM

Intoxalock Blues

I’m getting this thing put in my truck tomorrow
Basically a breathalyzer- court ordered
I’ve heard that stuff like foods that contain yeast could give false positives as well as mouthwash
I’ve heard that any drinking isn’t recommended while this device is in one’s vehicle
It’s another good reason to avoid booze
Anyone have any experience with these?

ScottFromWI 04-22-2018 01:38 PM

I have never had one myself but know others who have. Mouthwash does contain alcohol for certain. Yeast in bread is not going to set it off - the amount is miniscule.

As a sidenote, I would not recommend drinking any alchohol when operating any vehicle, whether it has an interlock or not. Remember there is likely a reason that they put it in your vehicle in the first place, right?

KG77 04-22-2018 01:41 PM

I only ever had a false positive one time. In over 2 years. I was drinking an Atkins protein water and I guess the sugar alcohol messed with it . I rinsed my mouth out and tried again and it was fine. I have mine voluntarily.

sobersolstice 04-22-2018 02:22 PM

Had one for 2 years. In my state, the interlock violates at 0.02 bac, so everything set it off. I had to have some contested because it is triggered by windshield fluid methanol, and other alcohols.

I had violations due to drinking the night before, so I had to limit my drinking to 3 beers before 8pm if I wanted to start my car by 8am. If you're still drinking, I recommend getting an in home breathalyzer so that you don't trigger the interlock. My rules were set so I couldn't have 3 violations in a year. I had 5 that were not related to me drinking alcohol. Also beware, it picks up on every kind of alcohol, whether it be ethanol, methanol, or Isopropyl...

axeman5971 04-22-2018 02:52 PM

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but if your drinking got you a breathalyzer car lock, you shouldn’t be worrying about yeast and false positives or whether you should or shouldn’t drink when you have this thing on.

Are you interested in help and getting sober?

sobersolstice 04-22-2018 03:27 PM

False positives construed as real positives can turn a 2 year process into a 4 year process or permanent revocation of your license, so it makes it an issue. Likely the most frustrating part of my punishment. I set the thing off more when I wasn't drinking than when I was...

Dee74 04-22-2018 03:43 PM

You can disagree with me, but sounds to me like you have it backwards SS.

I think any drinking when you have a lock fitted is an... interesting response - its bound to result in 'the thing going off' more than if you weren't drinking at all.

D

sobersolstice 04-22-2018 03:58 PM

I agree. You shouldn't be drinking at all while you have the interlock in place. I'm just sharing my experience with interlock. The only thing it did for me is to further dislike the state system in place as it doesn't help for anything. DUI education and therapy became a network of people to go to bars with after each class. Granted, I wasn't supervised and didn't require UA's. The process of the DUI made me want to drink, as I wasn't thinking about stopping at the time. I just thought I was screwed, and drank because of it.

The best recourse of course is to not drink during the process, but I was very upset with the device. There were many days my truck didn't start due to temperature, miscalibrations etc. It just wouldn't work. Lost 2 jobs.

DontRemember 04-22-2018 05:16 PM

Worked with a guy who had to have them in every vehicle in his or his companies name..Was weird when I'd be riding passenger or driving his truck..BUT...one of those "don't do that again" things I guess...

iamsolost 04-22-2018 08:34 PM

I had one for 18 months. It was wired wrong from the beginning, and I spent 6 months fighting with the company that put it in to fix it. I also had trouble when it didn't work properly, because it meant I didn't go anywhere. I cursed the thing many times. If it got too cold, it didn't work. If it got too hot, same. I had to keep it out of the sun in the summer, and wrap it in a towel during winter, when not in use. False positives are real. Hand sanitizer is a bad idea, in my experience, along with things others have mentioned.

Rodney18 04-23-2018 08:03 AM

I’m a tad confused by a couple of responses
But maybe my message wasn’t clear
I ain’t drinking, and besides two slip-ups (and that’s how I personally would define them still), I haven’t in months
My dui was months ago and it took the state 4 court dates to get my blood work back
I’m absolutely concerned with yeast, mouthwash and such since it can make the device fail- when I haven’t drank alcohol
Ah, and here’s something I wanna add- the breathalyzer, the night I was arrested, registered 2.01(I think...don’t have the paperwork to look at right now)- but I know it was twice the legal limit in the state
When my blood work came back it was .09
which seems accurate with the amount I drank
Here .08 is legally drunk
So that huge inaccuracy amazes me
Anyhow, while not drinking for the year that I have this device, I don’t forsee major problems with it
At least, hell I hope not

DontRemember 04-23-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney18 (Post 6869888)
I’m a tad confused by a couple of responses
But maybe my message wasn’t clear
I ain’t drinking, and besides two slip-ups (and that’s how I personally would define them still), I haven’t in months
My dui was months ago and it took the state 4 court dates to get my blood work back
I’m absolutely concerned with yeast, mouthwash and such since it can make the device fail- when I haven’t drank alcohol
Ah, and here’s something I wanna add- the breathalyzer, the night I was arrested, registered 2.01(I think...don’t have the paperwork to look at right now)- but I know it was twice the legal limit in the state
When my blood work came back it was .09
which seems accurate with the amount I drank
Here .08 is legally drunk
So that huge inaccuracy amazes me
Anyhow, while not drinking for the year that I have this device, I don’t forsee major problems with it
At least, hell I hope not

Really depends on how long between stop/arrest and when the blood was drawn. You could have been 'coming down'. Also..I know a few attorneys who use "breathalyzer calibration" as a defense for some clients.

DreamCatcher17 04-23-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney18 (Post 6869132)
I’m getting this thing put in my truck tomorrow
Basically a breathalyzer- court ordered
I’ve heard that stuff like foods that contain yeast could give false positives as well as mouthwash
I’ve heard that any drinking isn’t recommended while this device is in one’s vehicle
It’s another good reason to avoid booze
Anyone have any experience with these?

My friend has one in his car and his is not that sensitive. When he had one at his home, they did advise him to NOT brush his teeth before he had to blow in it. I would ask them to be sure.

Rodney18 04-23-2018 12:32 PM

Thanks for the responses
I’ve got the hang of it now and I think it’s gonna be a positive-if rather expensive- thing for me