SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I’m back with my tail between my legs (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426574-i-m-back-my-tail-between-my-legs.html)

Rar 04-21-2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oregongirlsite (Post 6868240)
It’s 3:36 pm my time. Have not had a drink and plan not to. I guess that’s the start of a plan. Thing is, I have always left the door open a crack “just in case”. Just in case the impulse overtakes me. Today I will not take a drink.

That's a good start. Maybe your next step is to make a plan for when the impulse overtakes you? I'm always tweaking my plan in case I'm met with a situation that might trigger an impulse in me. Hang in there.

time2shineagain 04-21-2018 06:51 PM

The thing that is helping me is keeping my mind in the present. Don't think about tomorrow or the future...just today. Every day my focus is on staying sober JUST FOR TODAY. And if that becomes too overwhelming I focus on just staying sober for one hour. If I think about not drinking FOREVER I feel quite overwhelmed (I'm only 35 days sober). By taking it one day at a time, before you know it the days will add up. Another very helpful thing to me is keeping a journal with a list of things to do if I feel like picking up a drink. And of course....playing the tape forward. You CAN do this, Oregon. Stay close to SR. :grouphug:

SoberLeigh 04-21-2018 08:59 PM

Welcome back, Oregonsitegirl. It is very good to see you.

The thread to which Dee posted a link is fabulous!

Stay close. We care.

Oregongirlsite 04-23-2018 07:00 PM

This is the best place. I said I would keep coming back here and that is one thing I can plan and do. I am going to the beach for 4 nights...alone. I will take my watercolors, 2 books, my walking shoes and SR. Oh, and my Bible. Keep you posted.

Arpeggioh 04-24-2018 02:26 AM

This forum is the best! Coming here every day, whether posting or just reading, is a huge part of sobriety for many of us, and it's really easy! Enjoy your beach time, and don't be a stranger...

MindfulMan 04-24-2018 04:10 PM

Deciding not to drink and sticking to it can work. Hedging your bets with some sort of formal recovery plan is way better.

Stop drinking and start wagging your tail.

Oregongirlsite 04-26-2018 08:52 AM

I am at the beach, Oregon Coast. I am alone and that’s just fine. Today I will go buy a journal and begin my plan. I will review the good things I read in SR about making a plan. As in...a plan must be WORKED to be useful.
Thanks to all who shared.

Rar 04-26-2018 05:38 PM

Wonderful news Oregongirl. Enjoy your beach time. Hang in there and stay close. :grouphug:

Oregongirlsite 04-30-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rar (Post 6873444)
Wonderful news Oregongirl. Enjoy your beach time. Hang in there and stay close. :grouphug:

I do not like the person I have become as a drinker.

doggonecarl 04-30-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oregongirlsite (Post 6880390)

Is this a general statement? Or does it mean you been drinking since your last post.

SoberLeigh 04-30-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oregongirlsite (Post 6880390)

I didn't care for who I was when I drank either, Oregongirlsite.

I felt soulless.

You can turn those feelings around in sobriety and recovery. My life is now a true 180 from my drinking days. It is exponentially better.

Jump back into recovery; get started on changing those feeling today.

Here for you 100%.

SoberLeigh 04-30-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Oregongirlsite (Post 6873049)
I am at the beach, Oregon Coast. I am alone and that’s just fine. Today I will go buy a journal and begin my plan. I will review the good things I read in SR about making a plan. As in...a plan must be WORKED to be useful.
Thanks to all who shared.

There is a fantastic SR thread on Plans.

I will post a link on a moment.

SoberLeigh 04-30-2018 10:52 AM

As Promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst

SoberLeigh 04-30-2018 10:53 AM

Have you been to Cannon Beach? Very beautiful!