Notices

Refocusing the Addictive Voice

Old 04-19-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Refocusing the Addictive Voice

Im getting addicted to life management - if I am destined to always have an addictive voice then it has a new place to live.
Im 55 this year and although there was never a perfect time to refocus, it just so happens to have been now.
Alcohol no longer has a place - Im starting to organise finances , health , work and home.
I will have a ten year goal to retire at 65 and I am becoming more addicted to achieving this as we slowly go forward.
I feel the more I become addicted to achieving this goal then my addictive channel pathway will be re-laid with new information and old data will be cached.
I understand it might not be possible to permanently delete the cache - but I might prefer that to be the case would I ever need to call upon it to remember how dark the night had once become.
So theres the plans - and we have them specific - achieveable (with a fair wind ) and measurable.
Lets hope theres no health problems associated with this strategy!
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-19-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're fired up and getting things done. Don't forget to take it easy too. Having an obsessive approach, even to healthy things, can backfire .
Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Fricka - unlike previous jaunts - my aim is to enjoy every day on this new journey - less hare and more tortoise
🤠
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always thought even when I was drinking.. this is an obsession, I have an "obsessive" personality. If I could just re-direct my obsessiveness towards something productive like money or business.. imagine what I could accomplish.

I still believe that's true but am now afraid of my own intensity in approaching things (even healthy things like life management). Soo the first 6 months have been very much about laying low, surrender, etc.

I think as long as you're not putting yourself in highly stressful situations before you're really "ready" then it's all the better if you can re-direct it in a healthy way. Specific, achievable and measurable sounds like a great start.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This new addiction Cosima is a stress of sorts I suppose as it will require effort and discipline allied with determination. However , rather that stress than anymore bad stress associated with the dreaded poison. Im even starting to rid the 'a' word from my writing as it no longer deserves a place there.
Dave 🤠
Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dave, I'm so pleased that you're thinking positively about your future.

But please don't think you can harness or take control of your AV. It may well have become quieter and less frequent the more time between you and a drink, but its not gone, and it will lay low waiting for the opportunity to reel us back in.

The thing recovery can do for us is help us to not get dangerously obsessive about things (most things done in an addictive, compulsive or obsessive way will end up being detrimental to us). Transferring addictions can seem like an easier option than working on recovery. Trouble is, it means we don't master new skills for living life on life's terms, and that means that when our AV does pipe up again (usually when life's terms seem a bit shoddy) we are still susceptible to its whispering.

BB
Old 04-20-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im not sure what lifes terms are Berrybean but thanks for the post.
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-20-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

IME, urges are the best time to create something.

Solutions to your financial and health issues are great things to create!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cheers Nonsensical
🤠
Old 04-20-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If anyone else can explain what BB means by " life's terms" Id be obliged.
Dave 🤠
Old 04-20-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
If anyone else can explain what BB means by " life's terms" Id be obliged.
Dave 🤠
I cannot speak for BB, but my definition of life's terms is simply that there are some things we have to accept as part of life. Like the fact that there will be good days and bad, and that there will be sadness, sickness, and loss at times.

As it applies to our recovery, most addicts chose to NOT face life on life's terms and get drunk/high to escape or run away from it. Which of course only postpones the issue and many times makes it worse. So therefore, one of the biggest and difficult tasks we face is learning how to actually face those things and cope/deal/adjust.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ahhh ok Scott - just like the time before we were conditioned to thinking that drinking might help.
Ok - Ive got it.
Thank you.
Dave 🤠
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
J50

Great post Dave. I like how you are refocusing, not fighting. I think our mindset is one of the most important tools in our recovery. I like to look at it as a journey, not a struggle. As we move on our paths, we start to see things we didn't see before and can focus on what matters to us. Alcohol was just a detour and something that stalled us.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks J.
Last night shift tonight and Ive just emailed myself 4 important things to do on my weekend off. Other less important things will fill in gaps and I might even "have a minute".
Short term - long term - theres so much positive stuff I can do rather than worry about getting to the off licence and cope with hangovers etc .
Im just enjoying this and long may it continue 😃😃😃
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic Dave!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Purple - Keep Pushing ahhhhhh brings yet more music memories to mind. In all the storms I never lost my music 🎷🎸🎹🎤🎶🎵📻📢
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What's your fav type of genre of music?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry for the delay Purple - Im at work.
Favourite genre? Thats so difficult. I enjoy music for a variety of reasons - memories - the guitar bits - instant gratification or slow burner- the sax bit - the girl I was going out with - the child I named - the mood im in. All these things and more enhance the music.
I cant however do rap. Watch out though - me might get told to buzz off to a music lovers site 😲😲😲 you?
Dave 🤠
Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
... my definition of life's terms is simply that there are some things we have to accept as part of life. Like the fact that there will be good days and bad, and that there will be sadness, sickness, and loss at times.

As it applies to our recovery, most addicts chose to NOT face life on life's terms and get drunk/high to escape or run away from it. Which of course only postpones the issue and many times makes it worse. So therefore, one of the biggest and difficult tasks we face is learning how to actually face those things and cope/deal/adjust.
Thanks Scott. Yep, I'd agree with all that. (Wasn't ignoring Dave. Was out n about).

Sounds like youre doing well sorting things out there Dave. It's amazing what we can do with that extra time and energy what we're not drinking it all.

Have a great sober weekend.
BB