Notices

Procrastination will kill me

Old 04-18-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Procrastination will kill me

I think it was Einstein who said something along the lines of reapeating the same action and expecting different results is a sign of madness (or was it stupidity?). I'm too lazy to look,plus I spilt beer on my keyboard and the space bar no longer works, so it takes me ages to write anything.

Anyway, in Glasgow parlance I'm 'gubbed'. I manage a couple of days without drinking with the promise that I will stop for good and then I crave it.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Auch,

After a while I couldn't understand how folks could drink beer to get drunk. So much liquid required.

As my drinking progressed I switched to spirits or wine.

Glad those days are over.

Booze is a highly addictive neuro toxin that insidiously fries the brain. Once addicted, the addiction is for life.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I manage a couple of days without drinking with the promise that I will stop for good and then I crave it.
When you promise yourself you are going to quit, you stick with that commitment. No matter what. No matter the cravings. Everyone who has gotten sober has gone through them without picking up. So can you.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!!!

If your expectation is to not have cravings you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Make a plan to deal with them, because they are coming back.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Auchieshuggle and welcome
I've tried getting sober without support and then with support - and with support wins hands down.

I was an all day everyday drinker and had been for several years - this place helped me to turn my life around. I know we can help you too

D
Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Years before quitting booze, I quit eating beef, just because. These days, I get occasional cravings for beef and they are much stronger than the cravings for booze. Wonder what that tells you.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...however it is pretty easy to resist eating beef. Anyone who would argue otherwise is just a belly-worshiper.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was actually drunk and disappointed with myself when I wrote that message, and consequently forgot about it.

I will begin anew.

Thank you all so much for replying. I have never looked at alcohol as a neurotoxin before, but I think that's about right. I will need to work hard at this.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR Auchieshuggle. You are in the right place for support in becoming sober. We can help.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The quote by Einstein is "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

I remember hearing an AA speaker stating to extent "As an alcoholic, the true definition of insanity of doing the same thing over and over knowing exactly what the result will be"
Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am actually not special. My alcoholism is just like everybody else's and there is no reason I can't quit in just the same way others have.

In fact, my alcoholism is just like the disease the drove my grandfather off a bridge into a river when my dad was two years old, and drove my father into drinking himself to death in a pique of self-pity (or anger--we don't know).

I don't say, "gosh, that mole on my cheek is super special and I can't have it removed..."

Am I saying it's easy? Compare my join date to my sobriety date. I am not.

But I have struggled and survived long enough to know this is a very, very simple problem with an enormous, simple solution.

It's like climbing a mountain. No big deal but not easy.

Hang in there. Buy a new keyboard after 30 days as a reward!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

How are you doing Auchieshuggle?