Notices

Do you find the word "addict" derogatory?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I didn't read all the replies...Just stay focused on yourself,is my advice. He views you as an addict,so don't even bother 'defending/arguing it'..that's where it is. Focus on your recovery and future.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"Substance dependent"? Does this help? Whatever you call it it's been traditionally viewed as a "character defect" (e.g. "He did it to himself! It's all his fault!"). A large part of getting ready to drink is subconscious, It's only the prefrontal cortex which acts as the gatekeeper and that this may be relatively ineffective as a result of alcohol. There's also a genetic and social component.

W.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

O, I've been thinking more about this. May have already been mentioned. But, technically speaking, we're all addicts about everything.

The basic function of doing things to get a dopamine spike could be considered 'addictive' behavior and we do it for everything. Sugar, validation, sex, money, you name it.

When people use it in a derogatory fashion or with the intent of implying the negative cultural stigma and stereotypes they are simply exposing their own bigotry and lack of empathy and compassion.

I say you call it out. Ask him, what, exactly, do you mean by 'addict?' Is he so sure he doesn't have behaviors that themselves are 'addictive?' Is he sure that he's not just projecting his own insecurities and dissatisfaction with himself all over you?

If he ends up doubling down and pressing home the negative stigmas that's called toxicity and maybe even verbal abuse. Don't stand for it. Not for a second.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Why not put it this way? Get"addicted"to sobriety.

W.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am a dedicated AAer and I also run a non-AA based recovery group for both "alcoholics and alcoholics" ie anyone who is struggling with addiction.

Addiction - just a term for what we are.

Recovering - a term that means warrior, survivor, blessed.

The former doesn't bother me, the latter is everything good in my life.