Notices

Pouring it out

Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pouring it out

I have alcohol in the house, leftovers from the weekend. GAH I know I need to dump it, Im the only person who would drink it in the house. It just seems so wasteful. All that wine and beer...should I give it away? to who? No you wont give it away ..you know you wont
BUT until I get rid of it I know I have one foot still in drunkville.

Why is it so hard...god just dump it already!

OK what if I picture it as poison , its poison that my mind is telling me I will want to drink..

If there was a bottle of lysol in the fridge and my mind was telling me hey you don't want to waste that ..well i'd be crazy

This is crazy!

If anyone else is struggling with this maybe you want to pour yours out with me so I don't feel so ridiculous.

OK then....Be right back...
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why is it so hard
it can be a scarey proposition in that the action is the start of change for a life of sobriety and that alone can be scarey for people that dont know how to live life without alcohol.

OK then....Be right back..

good on ya!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thinking alcohol was liquid gold.

I remember not leaving even a drop in my glass when leaving a restaurant. Going so far as chugging as I'm putting on my coat. Couldn't understand why people would leave glasses half full (half full, not half empty (lol)). I'd get that desire to go over & drink it! I would think-what a waste!

Yeah for throwing it out!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is scary but I really want this, I dont want to have this daily internal struggle anymore when life is already so hard!
I want to be strong, mindful, healthy, happy and present.

I poured it all out, it was a lot... but its done and I can move forward.

I need to learn how to stop viewing alcohol as a reward and something deserved, celebratory, and as a means to relaxation and fun.

I'm a work in progress.

But the booze is gone and I feel lighter already.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mandy on taking the first step towards recovery. Do you have a plan?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good job MANDY!!!!!!!!

it's gone and YOU remain!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan?

Today Im working on a plan of action. There are a few items in my toolbox such as research AVRT, continue seeing therapist, work on mindful meditation and self compassion exercises, physical exercise, SR
I'm still trying to find my way and figure out what is my best course of action going forward.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay!!!! You will not regret it. I chose not to pour out a bottle I found a while ago and i definitely regretted it later. Here's to moving on to a better life!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats that was an important step that you just accomplished. After about a month of sobriety I discovered some beers in the back of my refrigerator. I remember how hard it was to throw them out. A year later I am very thankful that I did and you will be too. Good job!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
I need to learn how to stop viewing alcohol as a reward and something deserved, celebratory, and as a means to relaxation and fun.
I hope you can come to the understanding that you've been chained to alcohol for years, its prisoner. Your addiction has blinded you to that. But you've had moments of clarity. Many of the posts you've made to SR have come when the "lights go on." Sometimes they read like you are miserable in sobriety...but they aren't. You are miserable in your addiction and in your struggle to get out of it.

Sobriety is the door.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If in doubt dump it out!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

personally i dont think you need to learn that- you already know it, so i think its just accepting it.
also accepting that pouring it out and not drinking isnt punishment.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I hope you can come to the understanding that you've been chained to alcohol for years, its prisoner. Your addiction has blinded you to that. But you've had moments of clarity. Many of the posts you've made to SR have come when the "lights go on." Sometimes they read like you are miserable in sobriety...but they aren't. You are miserable in your addiction and in your struggle to get out of it.

Sobriety is the door.
I agree with this, no question I am miserable in my addiction. So unbelievably tired of of struggling with it. With every ugly moment alcohol has brought me I feel that in my core, alcohol addiction makes me absolutely miserable.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is still a bottle of unopened wine in my refrigerator that someone brought to the house back in December. It definitely grabs my attention. I also need to pour it out or give it away.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I also need to pour it out
fixed that to make it the simplest,easiest solution.

seemed to work pretty good for mandy.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
There is still a bottle of unopened wine in my refrigerator that someone brought to the house back in December. It definitely grabs my attention. I also need to pour it out or give it away.
I was genuinely hoping someone would join me in clearing their house of alcohol! I really do feel empowered after doing it, its against our nature to be wasteful I believe and that part was difficult but I knew I wouldn't give it away and it was sitting there ..just in case..I wanted it again. No thanks, thats dangerous and thats the thinking that has me waking up hungover and anxiety ridden. I hate that feeling.

Go ahead...dump it out..what are you waiting for? JOIN ME AND GIVE IT TO THE PIPES lol
Old 04-17-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with this, no question I am miserable in my addiction. So unbelievably tired of of struggling with it. With every ugly moment alcohol has brought me I feel that in my core, alcohol addiction makes me absolutely miserable.
Once I stopped struggling with it and accepted that I will not drink again and life is so much better without having alcohol in it, things got easier.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go ahead...dump it out..what are you waiting for? JOIN ME AND GIVE IT TO THE PIPES lol
Let the sewer rats have a hangover!

I had one beer left for a just in case-poured it out. Thanks. Thought of it as the extra 100 calories I don't need!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was genuinely hoping someone would join me in clearing their house of alcohol! I really do feel empowered after doing it, its against our nature to be wasteful I believe and that part was difficult but I knew I wouldn't give it away and it was sitting there ..just in case..I wanted it again. No thanks, thats dangerous and thats the thinking that has me waking up hungover and anxiety ridden. I hate that feeling.

Just did it! Kind of felt powerful!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rar

Good for you Mandy and Ladybug. That was hard for you and a giant step in your recoveries. I'm proud of you.