Notices

Anger: would the real me please stand up?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger: would the real me please stand up?

Hi all,
Day 2 here after first relapse.
I’m in the process of figuring out my plan.
For me, it’s the mood swings in early recovery that are the biggest challenge. I guess I was in the pink cloud the first few weeks but slowly my repressed feelings caught up.

I became an angry drunk, lashing out at anyone who’s hurt me my entire life-so lame. I realize the anger is probably displaced and it’s also me angry/disappointed with myself. A lifetime pattern of numbing my hurt and anger until I explode. I do try to implement tools-meditation, exercise, but all is takes is particular circumstances stacking up: very busy at work, not sleeping well, husband away on work trip, hormonal changes ... to just have me say “to hell with it”. The scary thing is it’s not a whoops but a conscious decision of not caring about my life. That’s what’s so insidious about alcohol.
I worry that I’m just an angry bad person and it won’t matter if I’m sober. What if that’s my baseline? I’m so scared of who I’ve become.
I also think it would be helpful to see a timeline of what to expect physically and emotionally in early recovery. I know it’s different for everyone but I’m sure there’s commonalities. If anyone knows of a thread/resource with this type of thing, please let me know.
This week I’m going to start attending meetings again and look for a sponsor. I’m also seeing a weekly CASAC therapist.
Thanks for listening. I’m so grateful to the generosity of this group.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"First relapse"?

Are you giving yourself permission to continue to drink?

The emotional stuff can be fixed in time. Sometimes that will require therapy or the 12 Steps or a combination of many things.

Job #1 is continuous sober time. The rest will be sorted out as you remain sober.

You can Google, "Jellinek Curve," for a general description of the rise and fall. Or more aptly, the fall and rise.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"First relapse"?

Are you giving yourself permission to continue to drink?

The emotional stuff can be fixed in time. Sometimes that will require therapy or the 12 Steps or a combination of many things.

Job #1 is continuous sober time. The rest will be sorted out as you remain sober.

You can Google, "Jellinek Curve," for a general description of the rise and fall. Or more aptly, the fall and rise.
Thank you. I’m not sure if I’m using the term relapse correctly. I’ve stopped drinking before but not really at any level of commitment. This time (29 days) was the first time I was in a certain headspace about sobriety being necessary so that’s why I called it my first relapse. I’m not currently drinking and am trying to be back on the path.

Thanks for the resource-I will check it out!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I find with more sober time under my belt,the raging anger transforms into something else....irratibility......after time i hpe this too will level out.Hang in there!!!Cheers