SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What Do You Say? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426326-what-do-you-say.html)

daveglass1 04-14-2018 03:47 AM

What Do You Say?

Ive seen a few threads now on people who arent sure what to say if they are asked why they arent drinking.
" Cos it's ****" is going to be my chosen phrase - if anyone gets the chance to ask by the way!
My partner is so pleased with this new Dave, that Ive been told she has been out there telling people " Oh yeah..noooo..he doesnt drink anymore"
Job done then - nice one 😉😉😉
Dave 🤠

ReadyAtLast 04-14-2018 03:56 AM

I just say I don't drink. End of. I don't judge others outwardly (even if I might do internally :( ) Keep it brief is my advice to anyone. No need for long explanations. :)

wibble 04-14-2018 04:07 AM

Initially when I first stopped drinking I either lied and said I was on medication if I had to explain or my preferred option was to completely avoid situations where I would be challenged or have any cause to explain.
I've come across a lot of people in the early stages of recovery who make a massive fuss about saying they don't drink who end up drinking again because their mouths were saying one thing and their heads were saying another.

Its whatever works for the individual though, theres no right or wrong answer.

I think the only constant thing though is that you have to build your strength in your recovery and whatever helps you do that is the right way to approach it.

Nonsensical 04-14-2018 05:18 AM

You don't have enough.

entropy1964 04-14-2018 05:23 AM

I quit drinking.

daredevil 04-14-2018 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by daveglass1 (Post 6860140)
Ive seen a few threads now on people who arent sure what to say if they are asked why they arent drinking.
" Cos it's ****" is going to be my chosen phrase - if anyone gets the chance to ask by the way!

Is the new Dave the same version of Dave before Dave ever started drinking?

What would he have said?

DontRemember 04-14-2018 11:19 AM

People that know me..the old me...know damn well why i no longer drink. I spent over $100 at a bar last night in less than an hour..I had water and 'ducked out'..:lmao

biminiblue 04-14-2018 11:42 AM

I have different responses to different people and it really depends on who it is and how they are approaching their question.

I go from, "No thanks," all the way up to, "Are you questioning what I put in my own body? You aren't serious, are you?" (said rather incredulously, and loudly. :lmao: )

Lots of answers in between. Depends. I don't lie, and I rarely use the words alcoholic or alcoholism.

Snowydelrico 04-14-2018 12:01 PM

Don’t drink.
If the reply is don’t drink! Why?
Then there are a lot of answers I’ve used.
One being, do you want to shoot some heroine? No! Why?

August252015 04-14-2018 12:10 PM

Did we get an answer on your 5 months and... thread about whether you meant you had a relapse? For me, the definition of relapse is anything to drink, period. I don't believe in "slips" or "bumps" or ...

As far as what to say, "No thanks. I'd love water or a diet coke if you have one!"

And, quite simply, I don't have anyone in my life who doesn't support my recovery, and likely I don't have anyone who doesn't know that I am a proud recovering alcoholic.