Notices

SR mods and succesful quiters !!?

Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR mods and succesful quiters !!?

Its 1.30 in the morning here in UK. Having trouble sleeping tonight.
I have been scouring SR as I am sure many lurkers, newcomers and established members have/are at this moment.

Something that occured to me.......
I/we as stated above get hooked and find SR a lifeline and sometimes check in every ten mins.

The mods and successful quiters do the logging in as well, maybe, but from a completely different perspective.

They come here to help, offer advice, support, guidance and anything else to us that are needing it.

I cannot imagine coming to SR from their side of the fence but I sure would like to........
C
Old 04-13-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

Sorry you cannot sleep. I read when I cannot sleep as well. The mods here are truly remarkable. Their input day after day is such an inspiration to so many people. Myself included. I have just over 2 years and I read a lot more than I post now I am just very gratefuland thankful for my sobriety. Good luck to you.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started the same as most of us do, Cuckoo - I was deathly scared, wanted help and found SR

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...everybody.html (hi everybody)

D
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey HTown,
I remember seeing you on here when I first joined quite a while back.
Well done on your journey.
C
Old 04-13-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I came here scared and found friends and support. I try to give back what was given freely to me when I was in need.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still come here for the same reasons I did on Day 1. The people and the support!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a lot of trouble sleeping, too. I hope you get some rest.

For me, SR is a place where I know my feelings and concerns will be understood. Going through addiction and recovery changed me completely, and this is a place where I feel comfortable.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Dee.
Think I may have some health issues going on but not in a good place to address them at the moment.
Just....thank you to you super special people that have crossed back over the crazy line to help us all.
C
Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The mods are fabulous and so are all the good people of SR. There is always someone here to help no matter the time. Good on your 2+ years of sobriety, HTown--I am on 27 months myself and it feels wonderful.
Cuckoo, it is so good to see you sticking here and posting often. SR has been a lifeline to me at times. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I joined SR on my first day of sobriety and never left.

I couldn't sleep and found comfort reading the posts, night after night. I read through the Stories of Recovery and found the strength to fight for my life.

I owe SR a lifetime of gratitude.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cuckoo hope you get some rest! Or are already getting it.

Dee how cool to see your first post! That is AWESOME!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Hey Dee.
Think I may have some health issues going on but not in a good place to address them at the moment.
Just....thank you to you super special people that have crossed back over the crazy line to help us all.
C
I quit drinking 5 & 1/2 years ago, and by now it's automatic for me. But I come to SR to offer the same support that SR gave me when I was scared and sure I was gonna die. And even though I sometimes feel like I don't "need" any help to stay sober, every time I log in and interact with others I get at least as much out of it as I give. Amazing how that works!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dee.
Amazing to see your very first post here on SR.
Its very grounfing to see that you really were just as scated and damaged as the rest of us.
I wonder though, what happened to the persuasive drinking buddy ? Did ypur friendship endure in the end ?
C
Old 04-14-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Cockoo.

I came here precisely 5 years and 6 months ago - October 14, 2012.

SR was my life support system because I had to cut off my chains to "drinking matrix" and find another way to breathe.

I didn't notice how I found myself on the other side of the "fence". I can't locate in time that moment when drinking stopped being an option any more.

Doesn't matter how many yeas of sobriety we have, we are still in this together.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Dee.
Amazing to see your very first post here on SR.
Its very grounfing to see that you really were just as scated and damaged as the rest of us.
I wonder though, what happened to the persuasive drinking buddy ? Did ypur friendship endure in the end ?
C
No I haven't seen that guy since I went to his place on day 3 (!) and barely escaped with my sobriety intact.

That was the day I realised I wasn't going to squeeze through on this challenge on no preparation, all luck and charm, like I usually did - I needed to make real lasting changes if I wanted a sober life.

I have no regrets at all

D
Old 04-14-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning Cuckoo I hope you're catching up on your sleep right now sweetheart. I'm pleased you were right here on SR during your sleepless night. I know it can be a great comfort to know there are people online 24 7 when sleep escapes us and some fear may creep in.
What I read in your post were something I felt too. That long term sobriety is a pipe dream and I just can't even imagine how that would feel. I was a broken woman when I stumbled on SR in April 2016. Absolutely in the clutches of active addiction and lonely as hell. And there they were....Dee, Anna, Soberwolf, Venuscat, Kris, Soberleigh and many many more. Guiding and sharing every day. Wow.
During that first year I was a yo-yo of drink-relapse and if I'm brutally honest I was jealous as hell of these wonderful kind people. The booze had me in a prison of poisoned thinking and I didn't even know it. Something changed on 19th April 2017. I was beaten, done, hands-up ready to submit and commit. That was the day the fight for sobriety began. The only thing I felt I could commit to and actually trust myself to go through with was to post here every day on SR and always tell the truth 100% good bad or ugly. That I have indeed done and that commitment holds for the rest of my life.
I could cry with gratitude for this place and the help I received which saved my life. SR is a part of my life which is non negotiable. Like an extension to my family. It is an honour to be here every day.
Cuckoo there is s 100% chance that you can do this. It will be bloody hard. You may need to seek additional support. But if you commit to sobriety and work for it like your life depends on it then that pipe dream will come true.
Take care sweetheart xxx
Old 04-14-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning Cuckoo. I agree the mods and folks here are indeed inspiring, supportive, wise and totally awesome. SR is my lifeline too. During my first days I also was checking in every few minutes and spent a good portion of the day here. I still do. I wish I were as wise and articulate as many of the folks here, but I try to give back when I can.

Thanks for sharing your first post Dee.

Hang in there Cuckoo - you're going to do this.....

((HUGS))