Notices

Considering drinking

Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Considering drinking

I'm on day 18 and really struggling this evening, I've had a crap week at work and I'm in tomorrow, I'm feeling really irritable and fed up. I just feel like escaping.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That would mean starting on say 1 again. Bad idea.

Go for a run, go to gym, read a book, take up origami (find some to do on Internet), make a smoothie out of fruit (don't use kiwi fruit as I find when you use kiwi in smoothies it's like drinking pins and needles for some strange reason). Fix a leaky tap, vacuum the car etc.etc.

Don't drink though. That's not good.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
I just feel like escaping.
Into what? A week-long-or-longer binge?

The crap week is over. You've already escaped it.

So, you just want to drink. I get it. But no one drinks and comes back to SR and tells us what a wonderful time they have had. They're miserable.

So find something sober to do to take your mind of the crap week you've had. Escape to a movie.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you drink, the satisfaction will last for just the brief seconds of that first sip. The misery you’ll feel afterward will last days.

Swallowing a substance won’t make the week better. It actually will make it worse. It increases your anxiety and depression.

Instead.. what I’d do: drink a huge sparkling glass of something tart and fizzy, like juice with seltzer with lime. Eat a piece of chocolate, and go out and sit in the sun. Cherish your surroundings. Take a deep breath. Imagine the cells in your body regenerating now that you’re not poisoning them. Feel your body getting stronger.

All you have to do is get past that very brief craving. It will pass, and you’ll come out stronger every time you do it.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to learn to deal with that wanting to escape feeling. It was hard and it took time. Escaping and numbing out with alcohol or other drugs isn't an option for me now.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had a crap week at work
Thats the addictive talk justifying a reason to drink. Drinking will serve no purpose, play the tape forward to when you are waking up hungover, feeling worse and wished you hadnt drunk. If I wobble and have a bad day and that AV starts rearing its ugly head, I always play the tape forward and then >
Old 04-13-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, if you’d had a great week, the AV would be trying to talk you into drinking to celebrate.

Whenever I heard myself saying “but I deserve it”, ie poisoning myself with alcohol, whether for celebration or solace, I’d counter that with “I actually deserve better.”

You deserve better, whether ithe week has been good or bad,
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m on day 28 and have felt the same today, just wanted to drink, the sun was shining, crap week at work etc.. but I started painting the bathroom door and now I’m knackered and forgot about it lol! You can do it!!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

Don't give in. You can do it!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Drillbit. I'm sorry for your bad work week, but...

Drinking gives us no real relief - just a temporary numb feeling that leads nowhere. Nothing gets resolved - & we end up frustrated & disappointed in ourselves. You don't need that.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone that replied it really helped get me through.

I cleaned my room, had some food and then went for a long walk . The urge to drink has gone, another small victory which I'm sure I'll be thankful for tomorrow!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Life is life even when we are sober, there will be ups and downs. On a side note, when I was attempting to get sober, if I "thought about drinking", little did I know the decision was already made, and I would end up drinking. I hope you can avoid that. 18 days is great.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I cleaned my room, had some food and then went for a long walk . The urge to drink has gone, another small victory which I'm sure I'll be thankful for tomorrow!
It's a big victory. A few more of those, and weeks will pass and you won't even think about drinking. Freedom!
Great username btw
Old 04-13-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
J50

Nice job! 👍

I think I read here that urges last around 10 minutes on average. When the next urge comes, do what you did this time. Change the channel and the urge will pass!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through drillbit

D
Old 04-13-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's Friday...they're always the worst in the beginning. Look forward to waking up to a Saturday morning without a hangover!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I spent 18 hours of labor working on a truck only to add coolant today and it was leaking out in a spot I have to remove everything again to get to it. Needless to say a ****** day. Not going to drink though. Not drinking on a bad day will make you feel better about it. Plus you’ve almost got a month. No need to be starting over now