Notices

Ugh. Anxiety & depression

Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh. Anxiety & depression

I am very thankful for SR & AA & my sponsor. I am over 7 months sober. My problem is I can't get over how I messed up life pretty badly when drinking. I beat myself up way too much.

Any advice on staying in the moment & staying positive. I try to live just for today & for the next 24 hours when I wake up in the morning.

I am working my program but still struggling. I try to say to myself "stay out of my own way", & "do the next right thing".

However, I feel pretty crappy. My fellow AAs promise it will get better. I want to know when? When will my mind switch? I feel it getting better but it only comes in spurts.. when do I feel better most of the time? I hate this anxiety & depression!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Start practicing gratitude every day. I found that practicing gratitude strengthened my sobriety and gave me a better, more positive attitude. Makes me happier too. Give it a try.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your mind will switch with your help. If the depression/anxiety is a result of drinking, it might clear up on its own. For me, the depression/anxiety came long before the alcohol and I take medication which helps to level the playing field for me. I still have struggles with those issues, but now I know they won't last.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Once sober I experienced the worst depression ever--perhaps the booze was masking how I really felt.

Here's the good news, ok. Being sober, writing an gratitude list like least suggested, exercising, working the steps, going to meetings and a bunch of other stuff too got me feeling better.

After awhile, depression returned. I sought outside help as the Big Book suggests. Medication by itself does not keep me enjoying the wonderful life sobriety brings, I do all the AA stuff, take meds as prescribed (very low dose these days) and something else helped me too--getting off the sugar--but not at 7 months!

You're reaching out, doing what you need to do (SR, AA & sponsor), be grateful and proud. Have you heard the phrase yet "this too shall pass"?

Peace to you my fellow trudger on the Road to Happy Destiny.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you

Many thanks to all of you who are posting. I am going to do some program work. Women in Recovery book & journaling on it. I also made a gratitude list today.

I am on medications to help. It's just really, really tough for me right now. I know I should feel thankful. However, I feel scared instead. Don't like the feeling at all.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You are doing great. Be proud of the 7months you've achieved.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

Check out the book The Law of Attraction by Jack Canfield. In a nutshell, it says you will attract into your life what you spend the most time thinking about. If you are focused on the past, how can you move forward? What are the things you want in your life? Start there, and spend your time thinking and reading about them.