Notices

Scared

Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Hi everyone. I'm trying to quit drinking but have been having a hard time. Today I have a terrible hangover which is causing my anxiety to sky rocket. I am afraid that I'm going to die. Can anyone talk to me to calm me down?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!

I can't count the number of times I've felt just as you describe. Pretty much every day for years. I finally realized that the only way to stop those feelings was to stop drinking. If you feel like you're in any danger, you should get yourself to a doctor immediately.

Have you experienced these withdrawal symptoms before?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR cait, and congrats on your decision to quit. You will not regret it!

Anxiety is very, very common early on. Your body and mind are dealing with a lot of change and alcohol is a depressant, so when you quit abruptly your anxiety can spike. Anxiety cannot kill you either....but it does feel like it sometimes.

Having said that withdrawal can be dangerous for some, so if you’ve quit cold turkey and never done so, you may want to check with a doctor to make sure all is well too. Even if nothing is wrong it can ease your mind.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I often felt the same way as you and was on the brink of going to the ER each time. Luckily, I somehow got through it, called it an early night and was feeling better the next day. It’s like the alcohol withdrawal syndrome plays tricks on our minds.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Can you go back to bed? Have a grilled cheese sandwich? Take a walk?

I agree that it's really uncomfortable, but necessary to go through in order to come out the other side healthy and happy.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can sympathise with this. Once the brain starts down that road it's difficult to control. Something that always worked, or at least helped me was physical exercise of some sort, working outdoors, walking or anything to get and keep the body moving.

I too have had anxiety at times due to withdrawals that seemed crippling. Just remember that all those irrational thoughts are just that, irrational, and that they will pass.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Cait; very glad you found us.

A medically supervised could greatly help ease the withdrawal process. A call to your doctor or a visit to the ER would be wise.

Stay close. We care.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi welcome XXX
An early night and plenty of water and a slice of toast
Yep I know that feeling to well
Thank goodness it was almost 4 months ago now but I can tell you honestly it's the best thing I've ever done
We are all here to support you when your ready
Lots of hugs
Caralara ❤️
Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cait!!

How often are you drinking, how much and how many years? You may be in withdrawal or a hangover can itself cause severe anxiety, mine do always. Hope your hanging in there, I have been in that place so many times I can’t even tell you. Wondering if I need an IV and the ER. I’ve gone for severe hangovers. Hope your ok, keep us updated ! Sending you hugs 😘
Old 04-13-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Cait2018! It's good to have you with us here at SR.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cait - how are you feeling now?

D
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Cait.....Welcome to SR. I hope you're feeling better today and the anxiety is lessening. Stay close to SR. It will help. .
Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cait

I too hope that you're feeling better today - are you feeling any more settled in yourself? (Hug)

I echo the above. SR is a wonderful, supportive environment. The people here genuinely care. Please don't be a stranger x