Notices

Serenity

Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Serenity

The Serenity Prayer, popular with persons in AA, was originally composed by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (18921971).. Back in 1983, when a close friend of mine joined AA he said he "had more Serenity than he could handle!" He was sober and serene for the rest of his life and helped other alcoholics. I miss him!
It looks like Spring has finally come, and with it increasing serenity after the blizzards of winter.

Bill. (My dog is also serene and helps me all the time!)
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover
 
least's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 100,079
My dogs and cats make me feel at peace. When the dogs are in the den with me I am the definition of serenity. And when Billie snuggles against me at night, I am at ease.
least is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member
 
SoberLeigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 121,425
So good to see you, Bill.

Serenity is such a gift.
SoberLeigh is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by least View Post
My dogs and cats make me feel at peace. When the dogs are in the den with me I am the definition of serenity. And when Billie snuggles against me at night, I am at ease.
So, Least, what breed of dog would make a good President of the U.S.? I vote for a Golden Retriever. St. Bernard would be good but had better avoid the brandy cask. An Alaskan sled dog is another good choice. Newfoundland also. Cat lovers might pick a Maine Coon Cat. Or a Raggedy Cat. (makes a nice fur wrap in winter)

W.
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 62,115
Thank you, Bill! It's been a long, long winter here in eastern Canada and I am so looking forward to Spring.

My beloved cat is always nearby and he always brings peace to my mind.
Anna is online now  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 212,733
It's good to hear from you Bill

D
Dee74 is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
So, Least, what breed of dog would make a good President of the U.S.? I vote for a Golden Retriever. St. Bernard would be good but had better avoid the brandy cask. An Alaskan sled dog is another good choice. Newfoundland also. Cat lovers might pick a Maine Coon Cat. Or a Raggedy Cat. (makes a nice fur wrap in winter)

W.
Rottweilers.

I'm a bit biased, I'm owned by one.


They are extremely loyal and much friendlier than their reputation!
MindfulMan is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar
Member
 
Rar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida., USA
Posts: 3,252
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
So, Least, what breed of dog would make a good President of the U.S.? I vote for a Golden Retriever. St. Bernard would be good but had better avoid the brandy cask. An Alaskan sled dog is another good choice. Newfoundland also. Cat lovers might pick a Maine Coon Cat. Or a Raggedy Cat. (makes a nice fur wrap in winter)

W.
Border Collie
Rar is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Border Collie
May be useful to guard the border with Mexico until we get the "Wall" built!

W.
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Serenity prayer is very Stoic.

Learning to recognize what's out of one's control.......and focus on what's in one's control, definitively is the recipe for a serene and calm mind.

I so want to get a dog
Gellybelly is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
ps I have zero idea how that quote appeared in what I posted????
Gellybelly is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by Gellybelly View Post
Serenity prayer is very Stoic.

Learning to recognize what's out of one's control.......and focus on what's in one's control, definitively is the recipe for a serene and calm mind.

I so want to get a dog
Get a dog immediately! It will be your HIGHER POWER!

W.
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by Gellybelly View Post
ps I have zero idea how that quote appeared in what I posted????
The Dalai Lama was right. Sleeping with a mosquito is being out of control. And sleeping in a tent with holes (holistic?) which allows entry for many mosquitos is being completely out of control.

W.
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
The Dalai Lama was right. Sleeping with a mosquito is being out of control. And sleeping in a tent with holes (holistic?) which allows entry for many mosquitos is being completely out of control.

W.
Yes, but I never heard of the quote.

I didn't write it.

Now everytime I write something, it's in my profile.
Gellybelly is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
Originally Posted by Gellybelly View Post
Yes, but I never heard of the quote.

I didn't write it.

Now everytime I write something, it's in my profile.
If you didn't put it there then I would think that you are entitled to have it removed.

W.
wpainterw is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik
 
saoutchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 16,438
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
May be useful to guard the border with Mexico until we get the "Wall" built!

W.
ll

Lol!

Amen to your friend from 1983 Bill
saoutchik is offline  
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member
 
MythOfSisyphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,940
I think we are to have one last blast of winter here. Supposedly we're supposed to get a foot of snow this weekend where I live. Winter, go away!
MythOfSisyphus is offline  
Old 04-13-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member
 
Carpathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,742
I would think a well trained German shepherd would do well as POTUS. For Vice President, my vote goes to Jack Russell.
Carpathia is offline  
Old 04-13-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar
Member
 
Rar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida., USA
Posts: 3,252
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
May be useful to guard the border with Mexico until we get the "Wall" built!

W.
Border collies are great at herding too. LOL
Rar is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
wpainterw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,550
We don't need a Pit Bull!

W.
wpainterw is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 PM.