Notices

Back to the Lab

Old 04-11-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Boxer

Back to the Lab

Well, thought after passing a number of major landmarks and having almost 8 months sober and losing 30 pounds I had it nailed.
My sister attempted suicide, I was in a serious car accident (several other things as well) and remained sober.
My son (who is my heart) moved to the other side of the country for a job opportunity he couldn’t and shouldn’t refuse last month and that ignited a craving I thought was long gone and I caved. I didn’t drink every night but certainly still have a hollow leg.
I post this for accountability I know the next question will be “what will you do differently this time?” and posting here is one of those things.
I really didn’t think his moving would have the effect on me that it did but here I am. I am also checking for A.A. meetings in my area. I really don’t want to go but if I don’t change anything, nothing changes. Maybe I got cocky, another lesson learned. Getting back to the gym will help too.
Thanks for reading, I’m a long time lurker (occasional commenter), appreciate this site and everyone here.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!
Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back too!
Wow I'm 8 months sober and it's posts like yours that keep my fear of relapse alive and remind me that this thing is damned patient so thank you for being brave.
Maybe now is the time to lurk less and post more?
I made myself a promise to post at least once every day and to always be totally honest. I still do and honestly it is so helpful.
Welcome back and I look forward to seeing more of you around xxx
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck Box. I myself have no excuse for where I am at, fell far off the wagon as well.

Insidious and sick disease.

Stay strong.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big hugs
Xxx
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what if drinking weren't an option, no matter what?

Cravings really only gain traction if we have left drinking on the table as an option.

Grief will happen. Intense worry will happen. Regret. Pain. Guilt. Boredom. Sadness. Anger.

These are normal human emotions. when they happen again, what do you do if drinking is completely off the table?

So when your brain goes there, you immediately shut it down, because it's not possible. What then?

This is how you cope moving forward. You CAN cope. Remove the option of drinking, and you will find ways to soothe yourself.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
I'm glad you're back too!
Wow I'm 8 months sober and it's posts like yours that keep my fear of relapse alive and remind me that this thing is damned patient so thank you for being brave.
Maybe now is the time to lurk less and post more?
I made myself a promise to post at least once every day and to always be totally honest. I still do and honestly it is so helpful.
Welcome back and I look forward to seeing more of you around xxx
You’re probably right, unfortunately I took my eye off the ball, became complacent and underestimated emotion which is difficult to admit. Hiding emotion became a survival function when I was young and peers would be shocked to know how sensitive I really am. I’m not crying a river, many deal with worse problems. Thank you for your support :0)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
what if drinking weren't an option, no matter what?

Cravings really only gain traction if we have left drinking on the table as an option.

Grief will happen. Intense worry will happen. Regret. Pain. Guilt. Boredom. Sadness. Anger.

These are normal human emotions. when they happen again, what do you do if drinking is completely off the table?

So when your brain goes there, you immediately shut it down, because it's not possible. What then?

This is how you cope moving forward. You CAN cope. Remove the option of drinking, and you will find ways to soothe yourself.
SO logical and on point! The struggle is real, I love this site. Trying to be a Tough Guy is exhausting, for real.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are here for you Boxer. I'm also considering AA as an option, for the social and support side of things. You CAN do this!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
We are here for you Boxer. I'm also considering AA as an option, for the social and support side of things. You CAN do this!
Thanks Shine :0)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If my grandchildren moved across the world from me I would be a mess too! My children and grandchildren are my life. Sending hugs and positive thoughts!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Boxer, I'm new to sobriety, I'm only a couple of weeks in, but seeing these sort of posts help to instil the fact that I can never be complacent as the weeks turn into to months and then turn into years.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you came back😊 I had some significant sober time before and started drinking. It took almost two years to get stopped again. I’m now at nearly eight months. This time I posted a lot to SR in the first few months. Maybe you can try that too. I also think it’s a good plan giving AA a proper go. Do whatever you can because this is such a crucial time if you want to get your sobriety back. Best of luck!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Boxer! I'm glad you made it back!

I hope you get to an AA meeting soon.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Boxer, I've done it too - thought drinking would comfort me & ease my anxiety. Now we know it never will. I'm happy to see you.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
Glad you came back😊 I had some significant sober time before and started drinking. It took almost two years to get stopped again. I’m now at nearly eight months. This time I posted a lot to SR in the first few months. Maybe you can try that too. I also think it’s a good plan giving AA a proper go. Do whatever you can because this is such a crucial time if you want to get your sobriety back. Best of luck!
Thanks Stronger, I think that is good advice 💯
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Boxer

Agreed Hevyn,it aplifies the anxiety x10. I didn’t drink to dull it ( consciously) but it woke the Beast I thought was defeated. I learned a lot with this, back to the lab...
Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How’s it going today Boxer?
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Boxer. Glad you're here. I am sadly familiar with relapsing. We're here for you as you continue to work on your recovery. ((HUGS))
Old 04-14-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcoholism is a chronic condition. We will have it until the day we die and the best case scenario is we can keep it in remission. For myself I know I’m more than capable of drinking again so I do what I need to do on a daily basis to stay sober.

For me AA worked and continues to work as long as I’m willing to work an active program of recovery.