Notices

Toxic Living Situation

Old 04-11-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Toxic Living Situation

Hello everyone - I am new to sobriety and would love peoples’ opinions on how they do or would handle staying with a toxic person who drinks all day. I co-own a condo with my sister who has a ton of mental problems and can be emotionally abusive and drinks a lot. I used to just act like a helpless victim and give in and drink to numb out but I won’t do that anymore - any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Barb.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

As someone who spent a lot of precious years sharing the same roof with toxic family member my advice would be to find a way to get a place of your own.

I know, I know, it much easier said than done. But they call them toxic for a reason. Even if you build perfect psychological defense, toxicity still affects you.

Try to spend less time with her. Maybe, join some group for people who are in the same situation so you can get face-to-face support?

Hugs to you.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I’ve been spending time at my Father’s which has been great
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am new to sobriety and would love peoples’ opinions on how they do or would handle staying with a toxic person who drinks all day.

carbon monoxide is toxic. what do people do when its detected? stay around it or get away from it? stay in the envorinment its in or get into fresh air?

there was a problem with wood floors containing formaldehyde. did the people that had that flooring keep that toxin in their home or remove it?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The real estate market is picking up in most areas. Sell the condo. Find your own place even if that means renting. Or have her buy you out of the condo.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Barb, I'm sorry that you are living in such a toxic environment. I think spending as much time away from your sister as you can is probably the best short-term solution. Long-term, hopefully you can sell the condo and move to a better living situation.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
The real estate market is picking up in most areas. Sell the condo. Find your own place even if that means renting. Or have her buy you out of the condo.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here - another idea if you could afford it would be to buy your sister out?

D
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I am new to sobriety and would love peoples’ opinions on how they do or would handle staying with a toxic person who drinks all day.

carbon monoxide is toxic. what do people do when its detected? stay around it or get away from it? stay in the envorinment its in or get into fresh air?

there was a problem with wood floors containing formaldehyde. did the people that had that flooring keep that toxin in their home or remove it?
I understand - and did leave but do need to visit here and there
Old 04-11-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;6857393]Some good advice here - another idea if you could afford it would be to buy your sister out?

I’ve been saving as much money as possible toward that end