Notices

Day one

Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

After a few lost days I’m here again. Thanks for those looking out for me.

I’ve come to a decision, it’s now time for me to put all this booze addiction in the past. Along with my old relationship and the negativity surrounding that. I can get out of the agreement for the house in November at which point I plan to have 7 months booze free

I’ve realised (it’s only taken 1000 times) that in order for me to develop and grow as an individual, I have to accept that the 2 destructive relationships in my life (booze and ex) do not define me or my future

So I’m on day 1. I’m willing and able to take the necessary steps each day to actively work on my recovery. I’m using here , SR and my network of friends and family who are all aware of the recent issues.

I commit to my recovery. There is a big job opportunity just been advertised and I’m going to apply and use that as motivation to heal from my issues.

This is not about my ex. This is about me and my daughter and kicking that disgusting poison to the curb once and for all!!!!

So I’m Stewy, and I’m on day one
Old 04-11-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Stewy, and stay strong one day at a time my friend! You already know everyday gets better👍🏼
Old 04-11-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. I slipped up last night so I am right here with you on Day 1 again after I was making progress. I too, have made decisions and put a better plan in place for myself going forward. We can do this.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Stewy

So I’m on day 1. I’m willing and able to take the necessary steps each day to actively work on my recovery. I’m using here , SR and my network of friends and family who are all aware of the recent issues.
this is a good start - but it wasn't enough to keep you sober last time.

I'm not saying that to annoy you.

I think you really want to change things, but I also think when push comes to shove you're reluctant (or scared) to change too much.

I think I get it - I wanted to squeeze through without changing my friends, my ideas of fun or my hobbies.

I wanted to live my old drinking life...but stay sober.

I couldn't do it.

When I did finally quit I changed everything - I left friends behind, I got out of music for a while and I gave over several hours a day to working on my recovery.

It was a mammoth effort - but I had a mammoth problem.

D
Old 04-11-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post

stewy, comtting to recovery is great.
HOWEVER,
cmon,dude- this is the program of recovery that keeps bringing you to day one. it keep taking you around the same mountain. it is quite evident over the years.
these are your words on the 6th-
Therefore it’s time to get to some aa meetings as well as the smart. And it starts this week. I think I need to be getting to 3 a week to keep this momentum alive

and no mention of that THIS WEEK.

what are friends and family that are aware going to do? how can they help with what they dont know how to help?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnyb View Post
Welcome back Stewy, and stay strong one day at a time my friend! You already know everyday gets better👍🏼
Thanks Donny
Old 04-11-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gymratgirl View Post
Glad you are back. I slipped up last night so I am right here with you on Day 1 again after I was making progress. I too, have made decisions and put a better plan in place for myself going forward. We can do this.
Let’s do it!
Old 04-11-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Stewy

this is a good start - but it wasn't enough to keep you sober last time.

I'm not saying that to annoy you.

I think you really want to change things, but I also think when push comes to shove you're reluctant (or scared) to change too much.

I think I get it - I wanted to squeeze through without changing my friends, my ideas of fun or my hobbies.

I wanted to live my old drinking life...but stay sober.

I couldn't do it.

When I did finally quit I changed everything - I left friends behind, I got out of music for a while and I gave over several hours a day to working on my recovery.

It was a mammoth effort - but I had a mammoth problem.

D
I think I am scared- but I see that as a good thing, a time to push myself through the breakup pain and into a new life that doesn’t include booze

Extra effort is required this time and I understand it’s going to be hard
Old 04-11-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
stewy, comtting to recovery is great.
HOWEVER,
cmon,dude- this is the program of recovery that keeps bringing you to day one. it keep taking you around the same mountain. it is quite evident over the years.
these are your words on the 6th-
Therefore it’s time to get to some aa meetings as well as the smart. And it starts this week. I think I need to be getting to 3 a week to keep this momentum alive

and no mention of that THIS WEEK.

what are friends and family that are aware going to do? how can they help with what they dont know how to help?
Thanks Tomsteve, My friends and family are a big source of support, they understand it’s been a rough time and I’m going to spend time with them and out of my own head
Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
Thanks Tomsteve, My friends and family are a big source of support, they understand it’s been a rough time and I’m going to spend time with them and out of my own head
best of luck to ya. its very sad to read the same thing over and over with the notion the results will be different.
i assume what your saying here is no AA or smart meetings then? thats off the table again?

idk, stewy, i understand the big source of support thing, but it seems if that alone worked it wouldnt be day 1 again

stew, i took a little time and went through past threads of yours.
theres been a LOT of talk of actions TOMORROW mentioned.
then tomorrow becomes today and all of those actions change.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am also struggling with day 1. Giving you support
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Stewy. So glad to hear that it is Day 1; you have made my day.

It is so important to have a strong and plentiful toolbox.

Maybe spend some time today reading Dee's thread on plans and put together a rock solid plan including and incorporating some proactive sobriety measures and techniques (AVRT, AA, SMART, etc.) to utilize several days a week.

Work it, my friend!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Stewy!

I have never doubted that you will be able to recover.

I hope this is the time that you make it work for you.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

From one to Stew to another Stew, good luck. I was in a similar spot not too long ago. Make something with your daughter and tie it around your wrist, and every time you think about a drink, look at it and think of her. I used line from a fishing net that my girlfriend and I found together on the beach. Also, think how how much you getting sober and getting your life together will crush your ex. If I know her, she wants you to drink yourself to death. But most of all, do it for yourself!

Also, there is a cool app called Quit That! keeps tract of time lapsed and money saved. It is a helpful tool.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Best of luck
You can do this
One day at a time ....
Caralara ❤️
Old 04-11-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back Stew. Like others have said, I think I've read similar posts from you in the past. They say all the right things, yet here you are on Day 1. Something isn't working. We all need to find our way, and I can't tell you what will work for you. I found what works for me and it has changed my life. Wishing you the best.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope this time is more successful than the last Stewy. You deserve to have a happy life! Again, see a counselor...it really helped me! I think getting your thoughts out FTF with a professional could help you too.

CT
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If someone paid you to go to AA meetings would you go?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi stewy!! It’s completely about you. You are number one and your child. Sending you support strength courage and love. I’ve failed to many times to count. All we have is each day. To decide today I am not going to drink.