Notices

How do you describe a craving?

Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you describe a craving?

Hello
I'm here because I drink too much wine:- (a bottle and a half each night thursday to sunday on a good week and every night on a bad week)
I've been trying to stop for about 10 years -my username is imready32-... I'm now 36 so I guess i joined here 4 years ago and I'm still in the same boat !

Im on day 3 after a 6 day stretch that I consumed 7 bottles of red wine and 7 small bottles of cider and ended up crying with frustration because I was drunk and telling my friends i want to stop and them not understanding telling me I didn't have a problem and a drink on a weekend doesn't hurt ... anyone had to fight to convince the people around you why you think you are a alcoholic or is that just me ???
(For info we are all successful woman with good jobs and children etc, In case you were picturing scumbags friends lol...well maybe they are if they can't see ive a problem and don't support Me?)

Anyway my main question is how do you know when you have a craving? I've read all the info on "riding it" etc but is it just where you think .. I really fancy a drink and you think of every which way to rationalise why you should have one etc?
It's the weekend/hard day/it's sunny etc

I wanted other people's experiences
Thank you xx
Old 04-10-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Once I crossed that line into alcoholism I had been drinking "for" and "at" everything for a very long time, so I didn't need an excuse for my craving, I was alcohol-dependent both physically and psychologically.

Happy - drink. Angry - drink. Bored - drink. Happy Hour - drink. Day that ends in Y - drink.

You get the picture. Addiction is by definition doing something compulsively despite negative consequences.

If you have been trying to stop for four years and have been unable, can I ask what you have done to facilitate your quitting? Meetings? Doctor consultations? Therapy?
Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to a local ran alcohol/drugs abuse centre, but tbh I didn't really feel like it helped
I answered an initial questionare and even tho the volume I drink I feel is massive It didn't really effect my life in a bad way so I was answering "no" "no" to most of the questions and I felt I wasn't the normal client the got through the doors so only went a few times
Xx
Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you don't have any negative consequences with that amount of alcohol I would say it's just a matter of time.

If you want to quit - then what is the plan?

I believe you can do it, but YOU have to make the commitment and do the follow-through.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I have a problem and have learned not to waste my time and energy telling others or hoping they understand. I don't need to convince them or need their approval. I can only work on me and stopping drinking.

If you think you have a problem then you have a problem. Others don't or can't understand or maybe have their own demons. Friends also don't like dynamics changing.

Just concentrate on yourself and your recovery would be my advice.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

. anyone had to fight to convince the people around you why you think you are a alcoholic or is that just me ???

why do you need to convince the people around you of YOUR problem?
you can start recovery without them beilieving it.

i didnt crave a drink until i had one.
until then it was an obsession in my mind- i couldnt stop thinking about alcohol and even when i didnt want to drink, i couldnt not drink.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As I was going to my doctors appt today I thought how lucky I am to not have had a drink in 10 days. The reason is because once I have that first drink, all bets are off and now my life is consumed with having the next drink and then drinking for a long period of time. If drinking, I wouldn’t be able to have time for doctors appts, etc etc.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like you may be trying to rationalize continuing to drink, while knowing deep down you want/need to quit. This is common, I was like this - wanting to quit but at the same time not being able to imagine life without booze.

If you’re ready to quit (and it sounds like you are), this is a great place to start. Your friends may not understand, probably because they don’t want to lose a drinking buddy. If they don’t respect your decision, they may not understand or know the extent of your drinking. Or they may have an unadmitted problem themselves. You have to do it for you.

Welcome back.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im on day 3 after a 6 day stretch that I consumed 7 bottles of red wine and 7 small bottles of cider and ended up crying with frustration because I was drunk and telling my friends i want to stop and them not understanding telling me I didn't have a problem and a drink on a weekend doesn't hurt ... anyone had to fight to convince the people around you why you think you are a alcoholic or is that just me ???
I sat around drinking with my drinking buds and they didn't believe me either.

You don't need to convince anyone else - it's your recovery. I suggest that drinking buds are not really the best source of recovery support either.

Try farther afield to find some sober people in recovery.

If convincing others of your problem is a prerequisite for you to stop drinking, you might be already setting yourself up to fail.

FWIW, my cravings were visceral - a gnawing in my stomach and a pounding jabbering in my head that my body screamed could only be fixed with alcohol.

I'm glad that simmered down fairly quickly to mere thoughts of how drinking again might be nice....

D
Old 04-10-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

An intense powerful primal feeling in my brain, aggression, anger, desire to the point where I feel like I’m going to loose it. A want for it so badly feels like nothing else matters
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I got out of rehab my brother asked if I was a REAL alcoholic and when I could start drinking again. We're really close, and he's not an ahole.

I'd say that your relationships with your friends when drunk is a negative consequence, and I bet if you were honest and really looked, you'd find others.

If there truly are no negative consequences, then why do you feel the need to stop?

My experience was that I knew that there had been very bad negative consequences, and the more I thought about it I realized that they were both worse and more frequent that I'd led myself to believe.

Oh, yeah, there was that time...I guess you could call my constant pot smoking from 11-21 an addiction...I forgot about ativan...
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi .. welcome
I was just like you .wine was my poison
I drank it every night ..it was consuming me to the point where I couldn't focus on anything else only when I would get my next fix ...
D hit it on the nail that's excatly what my cravings were like ..
I thought I could never do this ...
I couldn't imagine my life without my wine
I'm 106 days sober and I've never felt better
Yes I have hard days an bad moments
I've accepted the fact I can't EVER drink again ...but I just take one day at a time that works for me ....
Get help for you ...forget about everyone else ...
My best friend would love to see me drink again ...it sucks
When your sober for a while your only thoughts are WHY the hell didn't I do this sooner .
Good luck
Caralara ❤️
Old 04-11-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imready32 View Post
I went to a local ran alcohol/drugs abuse centre, but tbh I didn't really feel like it helped
I answered an initial questionare and even tho the volume I drink I feel is massive It didn't really effect my life in a bad way so I was answering "no" "no" to most of the questions and I felt I wasn't the normal client the got through the doors so only went a few times
Xx
Lying about your drinking isn't helping anything, it's actually just classic denial.
I'm sure you're exactly like those who go for treatment, but you're not coming to terms with that. Remember alcoholism gets nothing but worse over time, and the sooner you get it kicked, the better.