SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   295 days and I'm craving (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/426087-295-days-im-craving.html)

Chilledice 04-09-2018 08:23 AM

295 days and I'm craving

295 days sober and I'm craving lager BIG TIME , been feeling like this for a few days now. I think this is the first time since I quit where the cravings are super strong!

I don't know WHY I'm feeling like this , but I just wanna get buzzed and chill with ice cold lager :(

Not gonna throw it all away but I had to talk.

AnvilheadII 04-09-2018 08:55 AM

outing the cravings is a great start. remember too, you have had cravings before and they passed.........these will too. they are just thoughts, urges, temporary. do the good stuff you know to do in response!

295 days is freaking awesome! :You_Rock_

dwtbd 04-09-2018 09:02 AM

That's just the addiction trying to get out of the lock box, yeah? Notice how It dressed up the idea all fancy and refreshing, ice cold and chilling?

It would be just as happy if the great buzz came from a discarded ,opened, pea warm, cig butt floating bottle in the back of a closet.

Tell It to bugger off

Chilledice 04-09-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dwtbd (Post 6854752)
That's just the addiction trying to get out of the lock box, yeah? Notice how It dressed up the idea all fancy and refreshing, ice cold and chilling?

It would be just as happy if the great buzz came from a discarded ,opened, pea warm, cig butt floating bottle in the back of a closet.

Tell It to bugger off

Hahaha I like the way you worded that! :D

SoberLeigh 04-09-2018 09:19 AM

Really glad that you came here to talk, Chilled, and really glad that you won't give in. Well done recognizing that creepy AV and kicking it to the curb.

Do you like root beer? An icy cold root beer in an icy mug may be the solution. You could add some ice cream, too, for a root beer float.

I am so very proud of you, Chilled. 295 days is awesome.

SoberLeigh 04-09-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by dwtbd (Post 6854752)

Tell It to bugger off

Indeed. Our AVs are creative little slimes.

dwtbd 04-09-2018 09:26 AM

ok, now, somebody said something about ice cream ?

:)

Chilledice 04-09-2018 09:51 AM

Root beer? Hmm never heard of that :) not sure if we have that in the UK....I'll Google it now!

Thanks so much for your kind words my friend :)

SoberLeigh 04-09-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chilledice (Post 6854808)
Root beer? Hmm never heard of that :) not sure if we have that in the UK....I'll Google it now!

Thanks so much for your kind words my friend :)

It might be called birch beer in the uk.

Anna 04-09-2018 10:53 AM

I hope you are hanging in there, Chilled.

I'm glad you posted here!

August252015 04-09-2018 11:02 AM

Glad you shared.

I actually just left my noon (AA) meeting and the main topic was the sudden cravings, urges, thoughts that can come on...any time. Several people with a LOT of sobriety - as in, 20 years or so- spoke up about their recent "surprise" moments. For those of us in AA, a lot of us - I should say, I do, and I've observed and heard others- feel that when we DON'T feel like drinking - and for me this has been 99.9% of my 25+ mo sober- is when we need to be sure to keep our "sober muscles" in shape.

For any challenges I face in general, I find that adding a little extra to my recovery routine- more meetings, calls to my sponsor or sober friends or just close friends who are great support, more sleep or exercise...whatever- is a big help.

Keep going!!

saoutchik 04-09-2018 01:00 PM

Root beer is uncommon in the UK although I have seen it in Asda.

Dee74 04-09-2018 03:45 PM

Root beer is sarsparilla here, Chilled.

Try not to freak out - it may be a long time between cravings but you know what to do about them, yeah? Coming here was a good start :)

Think about HALT - hungry angry lonely tired - think about urge surfing...think about what your life was like as a drinker and how much better it is now.

D

MindfulMan 04-09-2018 05:05 PM

....and?

Kidding. I know it can scare the crap out of you. But it really is just a craving.

They happen.

Before I quit smoking I read that nicotine cravings never decrease in intensity, but they do decrease in frequency. My father told me that's what he found. Patted his shirt pocket for his pack of cigarettes 15 years after he stopped. Out of an old habit.

I've found this to be true for cigarettes and alcohol; TBPO the nicotine cravings are worse and harder to ignore.

At this point they're an abstraction. Look, there's a craving. What's for dinner again?

NoBones 04-10-2018 01:14 AM

I'm glad I caught this post, as i have been curious about urges later in sobriety, and asking others about this very question. Unfortunately I didn't get an answer.

Thanks for the post. I love synchronicity.

CharlieAu 04-10-2018 09:53 AM

L-Glutamine

Try taking L-Glutamine - you can get it from the health food shop. It works a treat. It was the only thing that broke my cravings after years of trying to quit, and it heals your gut, muscles and brain too.