Notices

Day 8

Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Well here we are... day 8! Yesterday started off a bit low and that suprised me as I was so positive on day 6.. all I wanted to do was stay in bed, thank god for dogs ha, my dog came and lay on the bed looking sad (isn’t it odd that it’s like they can tell you’re feeling low)! It was such a lovely sunny crisp day here in Ireland, so my bf and I drove to a beautiful place with an old Celtic ruin and walked the dog! We ended up walking for 2 and a half hrs and talking about, well everything!
It was just what I needed, and by the end I was so hungry we had a lovely roast early dinner extra veggies and lots of water! It was the first time I’d been around alcohol since I gave up. Didn’t really mind, I said to my bf he could have a beer but he said no, I feel so lucky to have his support in all of this.
So today is the first full day “on my own” as he had to go back to work. I’m laying in bed still but going to get up and walk the dog and then do some cleaning! Try and keep my mind focused and a positive outlook on things!
What do you guys do to keep busy? I don’t think I’ll be returning to work until after rehab! And I don’t go there for another 2 and half weeks, any suggestions welcome! I hope everyone has a great day and stays strong! “Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over, it became a beautiful butterfly” x
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 8, I spent a lot of time here in the early days posting and reading - if you have the time it could be very useful.

D
Old 04-09-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on day 8, I spent a lot of time here in the early days posting and reading - if you have the time it could be very useful.

D
Thanks d I have read a lot here, I found it extremely helpful! I’d like to try giving back to my body what I haven’t for the last year, I need to work from the inside out! I think another nice long walk today will be good! But I can’t just walk for 2 weeks lol I’ll end up in Australia haha x
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about walking to an AA meetings. You can easily Google the times and locations.

Yoga classes might be good. Or swimming. Depends what's in your area..

BB
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
How about walking to an AA meetings. You can easily Google the times and locations.

Yoga classes might be good. Or swimming. Depends what's in your area..

BB
All great ideas B.B. but my car is in the garage until next week! And I live in a village with literally one shop, the size of your average spare room ha
Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ahh. Yes. And those villages don't always have very reliable or frequent bus services (as I've known from livjng in the sticks before myself).
Maybe at least look into possibility of bus excursions, even if only in a couple of days, just so you don't go crazy. If you're brave enough to call the AA hotline they might be able to put you in touch with a localish AA member (same gender for safety) who could put out feelers for others driving your way to meetings who'd give you a ride- I've done that myself for a lady who was visiting from the states and staying with family somewhere with no buses at all that would have been useful for getting to meetings at the weekend. That's the beauty of a real fellowship. We know that we get better by helping each other, so there's a lot of willingness and live there. Maybe not the romantic love-hearts type. The more gritty, courageous, forgiving and accepting type. Love IS all we need. Sobriety and recovery has taught me a lot about love that I couldn't have even started to understand when I was living my old life.

Alternatively, there are lots of recovery speaker recordings that you could listen to.... http://www.recoveryaudio.org

Gratitude Lists and journaling could be useful as well.

There are lots of guided meditations that you could use online.

Reaading around your recovery, but also some lighter and fun reading (it can be hard to focus early on). There is a sticky here with a good list of books if you want some ideas for recovery focussed reading... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

I rekindled my childhood passion for writing stories. If that's something you enjoy you could even set yourself a challenge and write one specifically for a short stories competition for a bit of a fun distraction.

I'm no artist, or photographer, but if you are that way inclined perhaps you could draw on your gorgeous surroundings and immerse yourself in nature through that.

Cooking?

Or borrow / hire / buy a wii-fit if that's a possibility. (I found that esp useful when I stopped smoking - Sorry if it seems a bizarre suggestion lol)

Time seemed to pass SO slowly for me in my first month or so of sobriety. Please be assured that this is a transient phase and it'll soon speed up again once sobriety seems more natural to you.

BB
Old 04-09-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Ahh. Yes. And those villages don't always have very reliable or frequent bus services (as I've known from livjng in the sticks before myself).
Maybe at least look into possibility of bus excursions, even if only in a couple of days, just so you don't go crazy. If you're brave enough to call the AA hotline they might be able to put you in touch with a localish AA member (same gender for safety) who could put out feelers for others driving your way to meetings who'd give you a ride- I've done that myself for a lady who was visiting from the states and staying with family somewhere with no buses at all that would have been useful for getting to meetings at the weekend. That's the beauty of a real fellowship. We know that we get better by helping each other, so there's a lot of willingness and live there. Maybe not the romantic love-hearts type. The more gritty, courageous, forgiving and accepting type. Love IS all we need. Sobriety and recovery has taught me a lot about love that I couldn't have even started to understand when I was living my old life.

Alternatively, there are lots of recovery speaker recordings that you could listen to.... http://www.recoveryaudio.org

Gratitude Lists and journaling could be useful as well.

There are lots of guided meditations that you could use online.

Reaading around your recovery, but also some lighter and fun reading (it can be hard to focus early on). There is a sticky here with a good list of books if you want some ideas for recovery focussed reading... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

I rekindled my childhood passion for writing stories. If that's something you enjoy you could even set yourself a challenge and write one specifically for a short stories competition for a bit of a fun distraction.

I'm no artist, or photographer, but if you are that way inclined perhaps you could draw on your gorgeous surroundings and immerse yourself in nature through that.

Cooking?

Or borrow / hire / buy a wii-fit if that's a possibility. (I found that esp useful when I stopped smoking - Sorry if it seems a bizarre suggestion lol)

Time seemed to pass SO slowly for me in my first month or so of sobriety. Please be assured that this is a transient phase and it'll soon speed up again once sobriety seems more natural to you.

BB
Thanks for all that B.B. x! I might try bake something today! I’ll see what I have! Also might TRY do some gardening! Neither I’m very good at, but I suppose you can’t get good at something without working on it! I’m trying to read as much as I can and will definitely look through that list!
Thanks again so much for your help and support x