Notices

Any tips?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Any tips?

Hi everyone,
I joined up last week and so far so good. This Saturday, compared to last, has been soooo much better and I felt the depression from drinking and blackout out AGAIN, for the gazzilionth time, lifting over the course of the week. There were a couple of moments after work in the week where I thought, hmmm...I could go for a beer, but I quickly shut that voice up. So this is my 8th day completely sober and I hope there are many more to come!

I do think though, as time goes on, that I may be lulled into a false sense of security and thinking that I can control my drinking, when in reality I cannot. This has happened in the past and I don't want to keep repeating the cycle. Does anyone have any strategies for those after work sunny day drink cravings? (I live in a tropical country)
Also, any strategies for events where drinking is around? It's one of my best friends birthdays next week and I don't want to miss it...but we will be in bars.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by froggle View Post
Does anyone have any strategies for those after work sunny day drink cravings? (I live in a tropical country)
Also, any strategies for events where drinking is around?
So you struggle with accepting never, ever, drinking again? There are no strategies for dealing with a less than 100% commitment to sobriety. It can't be a commitment to quit until an after work event, or a party, or because you deserve to celebrate. You have to quit, for good. And accept it...not as punishment, but as freedom from the constrictions of your addiction.

As for drinking events...avoid them in early recovery. Missing them, at least in the early days, is a sacrifice you have to make to your commitment.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great advice, as always, from doggonecarl.

We must always keep sobriety as our #1 priorities. Otherwise we seriously risk the existence and stability of #2 through infinity.

I have it often heard it said that if we aren't working on our recovery, we are working on our relapse.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it one day...

Take it one day or even one hour at a time. You don't need to worry about if you'll ever drink again. Just don't drink today. Tomorrow isn't here yet. So don't worry about drinking tomorrow until tomorrow gets here.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What helps me whenever I think about drinking is remembering that it was an endless and despairing cycle that could easily repeat itself very quickly if I decided to drink on any given night. That, and remaining cognizant of how good I feel when I wake up sober as compared to how I felt on mornings when I woke up still drunk.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think we all thought like that ..I know I certainly did ..how was I gonna get through Easter and my family wedding ..but I did get through it. The very best ...
Chill out with a soda water and lime or whatever soft drink you prefer ..
I'm 102 days sober and I take it only one day at a time
I'm at peace with myself
At the end of the day I can't drink again and I've accepted that ...yes it's hard but your the winner every day you stay sober
X
Old 04-07-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No-one seems to notice

Hey,

I don't know how your social situation works but to date (and both my extended family and work environments are very drink focussed), nobody seems to have really noticed.

Seriously! And yes, I was surprised.

My biggest challenge was at Christmas where I simply described myself as "cutting out drinking for a while" to avoid any difficult questions. As it turned out, Christmas Day was one of the best ever - I think my in-laws were surprised that I turned out to be more fun sober!

Keep at it!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I have it often heard it said that if we aren't working on our recovery, we are working on our relapse.
Thanks Leigh, this has really struck a chord with me

What Carl said too, about never drinking again and liking it! That is the difference this time for me. Every other time I only wanted to quit drinking forever when I was hungover and feeling like ****. But this time, at close to 2 weeks sobriety (which has never happened in my adult past), I genuinely want and feel, all the way down to my (no)bones, that I just don't ever want to drink again.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My experience is will power was never enough. I had to make systemic change in my life.

There are a ton of resources on this site to develop a sobriety plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What describes my passion for living sober is that I have to want to be sober more than I want to drink.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Here is a link

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You have to quit, for good. And accept it...not as punishment, but as freedom from the constrictions of your addiction.
This statement made me realize that I have been approaching quitting as a punishment. Thank you for giving me a different perspective.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Froggle

I found that posting here every day helped me break that cycle where I'd feel better and rationalise I 'wasn't that bad'.

Reading my old posts and other peoples stories helped remind I really was 'that bad'

Like others have said, recovery not like a diet - it's a lifestyle change.

I knew drinking like I did would kill me - but even that wasn't enough to keep me sober by itself.

I also had to build a sober life I loved.
I'll fight for that life now

D
Old 04-07-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My strategy was to work the AA program into my life. I have been able to handle everythign life has sent my way, good and bad, go anywhere, do anything, without the need to drink. The problem was removed completely, and has been gone for a very long time.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The other tip I'd advise to strengthen your recovery would be to practice gratitude every day. It really makes a difference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 04-08-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
So you struggle with accepting never, ever, drinking again? There are no strategies for dealing with a less than 100% commitment to sobriety. It can't be a commitment to quit until an after work event, or a party, or because you deserve to celebrate. You have to quit, for good. And accept it...not as punishment, but as freedom from the constrictions of your addiction.

As for drinking events...avoid them in early recovery. Missing them, at least in the early days, is a sacrifice you have to make to your commitment.
This. So this.