Notices

Relapsing alcoholic

Old 04-07-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsing alcoholic

Medication makes me want to drink and id drink anyway if I had the chance. I have schizophrenia and my dad died from alcoholism. Can I stop? If they banned alcohol. Do I want to stop? Yes. It's nine in the morning here and I'm completely toasted.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I think anyone can get sober after meeting so many people who have thought themselves hopeless, and for one reason or another unique amongst all other drunks.

There are plenty of other folk who don't self-medicate their schizophrenia with alcohol, and I have every faith that with support you could be the same, as long as you commit to sobriety and your recovery. Have you discussed the possibility of inpatient / rehab with your doctor? Do they know the extent of your drinking problem? If not, it's probably time to get honest so that they can help you.

BB
Old 04-07-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks BB,

Ive already been through detox. It was horrible. I guess I need to stay sober.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you said youd been drinking?
If so you may have de-toxed, but then you went and re-toxed.

And yes. You probably need to stop drinking, but I think you knew that when you had the last detox.

The trick to staying sober is working on our recovery. Being just sober without that is painful and depressing.

BB
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you said youd been drinking?
If so you may have de-toxed, but then you went and re-toxed.

And yes. You probably need to stop drinking, but I think you knew that when you had the last detox.

The trick to staying sober is working on our recovery. Being just sober without that is painful and depressing.

BB
Old 04-07-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome schizodoc - good to have you with us.

I think recovery is possible for anyone - certainly anyone who can acccess a site like this.

What do you mean your medication makes you want to drink though?

D
Old 04-07-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The medication I'm on is well known for negative symptoms like avolition etc. Drinking takes these away for a short while
Old 04-07-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that.
Sound like something to bring up with your doctor?

D
Old 04-07-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
Sound like something to bring up with your doctor?

D
Thing is... I wanted to go on Clozipine. But they wont prescribe it because of noncompliance issues. And the fact I'm an alcoholic. Its a vicious cycle.

Ive just got a new psychiatrist so will defo discuss it with him.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like a horrible cycle. "I need/want a particular drug but if I drink they won't give it to me. The drug they WILL give me while I'm drinking makes me want to drink."

Sounds to me like you're working your life so that you can drink. Pretty common with alcoholics - with or without other diagnoses.

I was put on benzos for anxiety and depression after my family all died. I had been sober for nearly two decades when they prescribed it. It gave me that urge to drink again, that feeling of release and relaxation. It took me nearly seven years to quit all of them. I'll never give myself that kind of permission again. It was awful.

I hope you find a way out. Another detox isn't a bad idea...it's safer than what you're doing.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I got diagnosed as schizophrenic a few years ago, now my current doctor label me as schizoaffective, after a few months sober I realized I had a lot of things to sort about my life and myself and I couldn't rely on alcohol to do that. Nowadays I have a lot more control over my actions and I learned a lot about interactions with other people, a thing I still struggle. I take a bunch of supplements and exercise 4~5 times a week to minimize the side effects of the antipsychotic medication.

Stick around Schizodoc, read and post on the other forums too. SR helped me tremendously on my journey, I think it will help yours too.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
I got diagnosed as schizophrenic a few years ago, now my current doctor label me as schizoaffective, after a few months sober I realized I had a lot of things to sort about my life and myself and I couldn't rely on alcohol to do that. Nowadays I have a lot more control over my actions and I learned a lot about interactions with other people, a thing I still struggle. I take a bunch of supplements and exercise 4~5 times a week to minimize the side effects of the antipsychotic medication.

Stick around Schizodoc, read and post on the other forums too. SR helped me tremendously on my journey, I think it will help yours too.
Congrats. My bf has schizoaffective condition as well. I know how hard it can be.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh the ways in which I'll justify my terminal uniqueness!!! No matter what your circumstances or condition, you're not alone and you're not the first. Somebody else has been there. Somebody else has done it. And somebody else has recovered from it. It sounds like another round of detox is in order. Sound terrible? Yup, it is. But not as terrible as dying a slow, painful, lonely, alcoholic death.

Keep coming back. You helped keep me sober today.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all share a common problem, but some of us come to that problem with all kinds of associated baggage, burdens and health conditions.

I'm not schizophrenic but I live with several people in my housing block who are, some medicated some not.

Its not something to wave away, get over, or dismiss - but I believe it is something you can treat at the same time as your alcoholism and achieve some great results.

D