Notices

Addiction and association.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction and association.

So was looking around today and found a fire pit that I thought would be a wonderful addition to the deck. As I sat and looked at it I thought man that would awesome for spring time to sit around and drink some. It struck me in kind of a wrong way. So I got to thinking what all do I associate as a good reason/place to drink. After spending a couple of minutes on it it absolutely throttled me.

Before the last few months I never thought of myself as am addict but recently I've looked deep and found that I am. And today as I was pondering what all I associate alcohol with it hit me like a ton of bricks just how large of a portion of me and my life revolve around alcohol. Thanks for reading just thought in would share some thoughts.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear this! I'm the same.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea, most of my adult life I’ve used anything and everything as an excuse to somehow squeeze in alcohol. I even bought a condo near a bunch of bars downtown a long time ago so I could walk home and not worry about driving. Red flags should have gone up then, but there were others just like me.

It’s a struggle learning to dissociate activities with drinking. I’m still raw. I just hope with time it lessens.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah with some things its almost like a knee jerk reaction. I'm only a few days back in to sobriety. But it is almost disappointing when you start to think of an activity as providing the permission sought after to have a guilt free drink. Which a drink inevitably in my case leads to several.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Onmyhighway. I know just what you mean. It was way too important to me, and ended up ruling my entire life. I knew I had to quit, but I was resentful at first (fear of missing out). Now, it feels wonderful to be free of it.

I'm so glad you're here to talk things over. We all get it.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've found that writing it out helps. It also helps to read everyone else's post and see that what I'm going through is a shared experience.

But it is going to be an adjustment to get the voice out of my head that tells me that having 1 or 2 is alright. And the one that always tells me that whatever I'm doing could be made better with a drink.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Onmyhighway
And the one that always tells me that whatever I'm doing could be made better with a drink.
Ever have a friend that always says the same dumb things over and over and whatever they suggest doing always ends in a ********? That's what that voice is like to me...it's always got the same dumb ideas. I pretty much respond to the voice just as I would that idiotic friend "Oh you again? *eyeroll*"
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Ever have a friend that always says the same dumb things over and over and whatever they suggest doing always ends in a ********? That's what that voice is like to me...it's always got the same dumb ideas. I pretty much respond to the voice just as I would that idiotic friend "Oh you again? *eyeroll*"
Yep, that voice is a conman.