Notices

First Weekend Sober.... Hopefully

Old 04-06-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Weekend Sober.... Hopefully

Only Day 5 and heading into my first weekend sober. I don't remember ever going 5 days without drinking, except maybe deployment a few years ago in which case i didn't have any choice.

Yesterday wasn't as terrible as the day before so I'm hoping that trend keeps going.

I didn't really have any STRONG desire to drink yesterday, and took a lot of advice from the forum, got out of the house, walked my dog....I think my dog knows something is up, he keeps giving me curious looks like "Its 730, why aren't you stumbling around the house and yelling at video games?"

Sleep is still sucking. I keep hearing things, last night i kept hearing imaginary sounds coming from my fridge, loud clicks and clunks I'm fairly sure aren't really there, and i swear i heard a voice saying "uh oh". its creepy. I dread going to bed, I feel like when I'm awake and moving its easy to avoid thoughts of drinking but when I'm laying in bed staring at the ceiling, I have no choice.

It also helps that I have duty with the Navy this weekend so instead of sitting around all day thinking about drinking I will actually be working. And can also use that as an excuse to dodge any plans friends may have for going out tonight or tomorrow.

The mornings are taking some getting used to, even without getting great sleep i feel 100 times better. I've been getting up way before my alarm and just sitting on the patio drinking coffee and enjoying the silence., instead of my normal waking up ten minutes after the alarm and throwing up in the shower.

Im the first person to make fun of meditation type stuff but honestly someone recommended that and it seems to help relax during times i would normally be drinking.

Anyway, thats really all for now. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There always support here if you need it Cayde 24/7

D
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Cayde6
I am day 7, so right with you.
Stay strong this weekend and stay close to SR when you arent working
C😁
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 5 days and stay strong this weekend. It sounds like you’ve got a good change in the routine, which can be very helpful. I find it’s generally best to take things one day at a time, but a clean weekend is a beautiful thing.

Have a great day Cayde6. It’s nice to have you here at SR.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Cayde! I'm very glad you are here. Withdrawal is awful and I well know the horror of strange noises and voices in the darkness--creepy and awful.
Keep close by SR this weekend. There are lots of wonderful people here who get it and really want to help. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that reminder of early days.

I never want to go back there. Ever. So I won't.

Sleep will come, hang on. Those hallucinations will go too. It's so worth it to keep going.

Have a great weekend at work! Congrats on taking back your life.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Cayde.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found that the more weekends that I got through without drinking, the easier they became. It's great that you have something planned this weekend to keep you busy. My advise is to stay away from your drinking buddies until you are stronger.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's to the first of many for you Cayde6...good on you. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

5 days is wonderful, Cayde.

I had the same sleep issues for a few months. I kept the radio real low so I wouldn't obsess over drinking/not drinking when I was lying in bed. It helped my brain focus on something else.

Things definitely do ease up after a while. Be patient with yourself - you're doing a great thing.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

and just sitting on the patio drinking coffee and enjoying the silence

in moments like that i used to have a little internal chant....
this is better
this is better
this is SO MUCH better

it helped to imprint not only the visual, but also the moment overall.....sort of the reverse of a trigger where you SEE something and it connects to getting drunk. seeing the morning sun, or hearing the birds, or just the beautiful silence can be connected TO sobriety.