Notices

I failed

Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I failed

I had a drink last night. I’m so disgusted in myself. No surprise that I’m low this morning.

I can’t afford to go back to the drinking

Got to get back in the saddle today, I’m sorry
Old 04-06-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Time to make a plan yet? https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

When you go to your Smart meetings what do they give you to do throughout the week? (Sorry, I've never been to Smart, but as alcoholism isn't a once a week thing, I'm presuming they give you some work to do, or tools to use that can help).
If not, perhaps you need a different recovery plan that can be racked up a notch. Once a week isn't really working out for you is it. And that s not a criticism. It wouldn't be enough for me either. Not NOW, but certainly not in early sobriety.

Is there someone you can call from Smart? Or some extra meetings you could go to perhaps if you are completely sold on Smart?

Thing is. If we keep doing the same thing, we're likely to get the same results. It's insane to expect otherwise. Something needs to change if you want this to stick.

BB
Old 04-06-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you don;t want to hear it Stewy but you need more solutions.

The one tool you have in your toolbox that you consistently use right now is beers.
You need more than that.

SRs in there somewhere too sure - but if you can't find it in the depths of your despair to come to us before you drink, you going to need some other recovery alternatives as well.

Counselling to help you get past this ex relationship is another tool I'd recommend.

AA meetings too - you mightn't like them as much as SMART but they are everywhere and I bet you can find one everyday?

have you got any other ideas?
D
Old 04-06-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stewy,

Don't fall for the I have had a slice now give me the cake logic.

You did something you regret. OK. Everyone has, trust me.

You came straight back here. Great.

You can do this. BB and Dee are right, the more tools the better.

Do what it takes.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What made you decide to drink? Have you been going to the SMART meetings?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Winding back to yesterday it was just a couple of hours of discomfort. I started to feel a bit apathetic about things, I knew I had band practice coming up and I knew the other lads would be drinking.

I HAVE to get a grip of this again today. It was a slip, I’m not going to turn it into a complete disaster now as I’ve done before.

Regarding the smart meetings. They tend to consist of an opening round where everyone gives a progress update and then there is a break and then a closing round.

I’m going to see about getting some counselling

I’m also going to sit down today and do a plan- one big thing I have to make sure I put in it is the alternatives I go to instead of having a drink

I’ve got this, I’m not letting this beat me
Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I'm sorry you drank. Really, sorry that our support wasn't enough help.
Keep trying. Today is another day.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your support here is honestly so much help. It was just an AV moment and I went with it. I’m sticking close on here, this is my life, I can’t afford to waste it
Old 04-06-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

The Ex is a recurring theme in your other threads. Perhaps counseling in that area, along with addiction counseling would be really helpful. You keep spinning around with the Ex anguish. Such counseling migh help - can't hurt. Your toolbox needs more tools. ((HUGS))
Old 04-06-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’ve got an appointment with the Gp on Tuesday so I’m going to ask about the counselling then

How the hell am I going to get through the weekend?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post

stewy,cmon man!!! HUNDREDS of people have said over YEARS about a recovery program.you are talking about this AV thing. so what you DO is look at what AVRT says to DO and DO it.

you can also help around the house or neighborhood to get out of yourself.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’ve got an appointment with the Gp on Tuesday so I’m going to ask about the counselling then

Give your insurance company a call now and ask for referrals for local addiction therapists to schedule an appointment with, no need to wait for the doc.
AA also is always there for you. They have meetings from first thing in the morning to late at night. I know at least around here they have meetings until midnight on the weekends. No appointment needed, just walk in the door and sit down, as easy as it gets!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Try saying this in the mirror:
"I am going to get through this day sober." Then " JUST DO IT"!
Don't ask yourself. Tell yourself the fact that:
"I AM GOING TO MAKE IT THROUGH THIS WEEKEND SOBER."
Then stay away from any activities that are surrounded by alcohol. It is way too soon to be around it. Make new plans!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You only fail if you quit trying.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You stumbled, but you didn't fall. Really let how you feel this morning sink in and know that you don't like how it feels. You don't want more mornings like this where you are beating yourself up.

I know that for myself, there is a window of time every day that the urges come like clockwork. I am working on filling that time with activities with my kids (where I know I need to drive), or something that gets me away from my normal environment at that time.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep trying, Stewy--never give up. You are stronger than your alcoholism. You are better than this monster. I think seeing a therapist who specializes in addiction would be a great idea; I needed a lot of help to get and stay sober. SR was and is an important part of my recovery but I see a therapist weekly and play bass in the contemporary band at my church--I have a lot of support there. I also do volunteer work to get out of my own head so much and try to help others.
I'm rooting for you, dear Stewy.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

weekend days or no different than any other day - you don't drink NO MATTER WHAT.

as i stated before, set yourself up for SUCCESS. what can you do this weekend as a NON-drinker?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just by coming back here, you are showing your resolve.

A slip. Don’t let it slide.

You can do it.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's just a blip Stewy. We've all had them. What's important is you came back here and you posted. Keep going....!

Now that you know your plan has some flaws, time to tweak it. Counseling sounds like a really good idea. A good counselor should be able to help you with your obsession with your GF and set you off on the right path with your alcohol addictions. When I started my journey (the last time) I saw a counselor regularly and it really helped. Another tool that helped me with my cravings in the beginning was Naltrexone. Talk to your GP and get a solid game plan together. You CAN do this...you know it because you have had success in the past.

Be strong!
CT
Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Embracing Joys of Sobriety

Dude, you did NOT fail.

You merely stumbled. You are already bouncing back and moving on. Consider yourself a success!