Notices

Hello!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Hi! I'm finally actually getting around to posting. I've actually been lurking around for about a month or so.

So, I finally decided to do it! I made my mind up while I was drinking a bottle of chardonnay with no glass, while I was putting together my kids Easter baskets. Classy right?
So, I've been sober for 5 days. Woot! Longest I've made in in a while.

A little back story for y'all. I used to drink super heavy from '07-'13. I ended up getting in trouble for my alcohol consumption and was court ordered to do random UA's and get into a recovery program. I took my sobriety very seriously as I did not want to go to jail. I had be on the program for 18 months. I started my recovery July '13 and ended in Jan. '15. I stayed sober because for the first time ever in years I liked who I was. I enjoyed going on adventures ( I love the outdoors), learning my guitar, hanging out in coffee shops and reading, Listening to music and cleaning my house. I was positive, and i smiled.The list is endless. I actually liked who i was, and for the first time I felt like I knew me.

Then July 4 2016 came. I went to a forth of July party and one beer in to two and so on... until March 31st 2018.

I woke up and I was depressed after a night of binge drinking. Of course ashamed, and pissed I let it happen again, because of course i was supposed to only have one glass and safe the rest of the two bottles I bought for another time..

So I went to the store. I bought one bottle because I didn't want to have a hangover too bad, because it was Easter. Isn't that great logic??? And while I was drinking it I was thinking of the time I has with out my family. Alone with a bottle of wine on the floor of my old apartment. I didn't want to be there again, and told myself this is it. It's enough. Lol my teenage kids only want candy, once they get it they ignore me to their phones.

Guys, I'm done. I dont like me. I'm lazy. I'm tried all the time even after a "good" nights sleep. I'm irritable. I'm anxious. I'm depressed. I let thing get to me. I hold on to things instead of forgiving and letting go. I don't like this version of me.

So for the first time ever in this history of my alcoholism, I'm sobering up for me. Yes me! Ill be selfish with this one. I have slowed my drinking or even stopped for awhile but never for myself always for something/someone else. I know what I need to Do just gotta do it and keep going.

That's all.

I look forward to getting to know everyone! And happy sobriety!!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Spunksta. That's a happy name
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Spunksta. I look forward to getting to know you, too.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Spunksta and congratulations on 5 days. Getting sober for yourself is not selfish, it is probably the only way to stay sober for the long term. Getting sober for a spouse or partner or because of a court order doesn't not usually work long term as resentments build up which is not the case if you are getting sober because you want to. That your immediate family and friends benefit from your sobriety is a bonus.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome welcome welcome
Your not been selfish one bit
Your human
I think your awesome 💜
Hang in there
You can do this
Keep posting
Caralara ❤️
Old 04-06-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem spunksta
I agree with the others - an empowering and necessary refining of priorities - not selfish

Glad to have you here.

D
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR!
It's a new day and a new beginning! Glad you are here with us!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR Spunksta. Stay close to SR. Read the the threads and post. There's lots of wisdom and support here. SR is really helping me to stay on my sobriety path. It can help you too. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Spunksta - you had 2 identical threads so I merged them and the replies in this one

D
Old 04-07-2018, 12:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spunksta View Post
Hi! I'm finally actually getting around to posting. I've actually been lurking around for about a month or so.

So, I finally decided to do it! I made my mind up while I was drinking a bottle of chardonnay with no glass, while I was putting together my kids Easter baskets. Classy right?
So, I've been sober for 5 days. Woot! Longest I've made in in a while.

A little back story for y'all. I used to drink super heavy from '07-'13. I ended up getting in trouble for my alcohol consumption and was court ordered to do random UA's and get into a recovery program. I took my sobriety very seriously as I did not want to go to jail. I had be on the program for 18 months. I started my recovery July '13 and ended in Jan. '15. I stayed sober because for the first time ever in years I liked who I was. I enjoyed going on adventures ( I love the outdoors), learning my guitar, hanging out in coffee shops and reading, Listening to music and cleaning my house. I was positive, and i smiled.The list is endless. I actually liked who i was, and for the first time I felt like I knew me.

Then July 4 2016 came. I went to a forth of July party and one beer in to two and so on... until March 31st 2018.

I woke up and I was depressed after a night of binge drinking. Of course ashamed, and pissed I let it happen again, because of course i was supposed to only have one glass and safe the rest of the two bottles I bought for another time..

So I went to the store. I bought one bottle because I didn't want to have a hangover too bad, because it was Easter. Isn't that great logic??? And while I was drinking it I was thinking of the time I has with out my family. Alone with a bottle of wine on the floor of my old apartment. I didn't want to be there again, and told myself this is it. It's enough. Lol my teenage kids only want candy, once they get it they ignore me to their phones.

Guys, I'm done. I dont like me. I'm lazy. I'm tried all the time even after a "good" nights sleep. I'm irritable. I'm anxious. I'm depressed. I let thing get to me. I hold on to things instead of forgiving and letting go. I don't like this version of me.

So for the first time ever in this history of my alcoholism, I'm sobering up for me. Yes me! Ill be selfish with this one. I have slowed my drinking or even stopped for awhile but never for myself always for something/someone else. I know what I need to Do just gotta do it and keep going.

That's all.

I look forward to getting to know everyone! And happy sobriety!!
Welcome Spunksta, I have found that sobriety does enhance your inner relationship with yourself. You do indeed learn to understand yourself better, what you are good at and where you need to be aware of your limitations.

One of the major improvements for me has been in my ability to be there, conscious, un-hungover, un-buckled for my son. I am able to assist him as he faces the stresses of growing up.

Sobriety, for me, has also enhanced my sense of mortality and the basic fact that we are only here, amongst our loved ones for a very short time so we really should make the most of it. I realised over the past 30 years, slowly but inevitably that this requires the removal of alcohol.

I'm still learning to live sober but I've got to the stage that the 'stinkin' thinkin' of alcoholism has mostly gone e.g. 'when will I get to the shop to buy booze', 'how many hours will that leave me in the pub', will there be any booze there', etc.

Personally, my life is so much better without the fear, shame, depression, anxiety and downright danger that inevitably results from alcohol consumption.

All the best and welcome