Notices

Feeling pretty bad today

Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Leftfield, 7 months sober is wonderful! Keep up the good work.

I know what it's like to lose a job. I remind myself that I didn't lose it because of a lack of competence, quality, or contribution. And so this is my mantra: I'm competent, qualified and a contributor. Somebody will want that in their organization.

Sounds like you could use this as your mantra as well.

Congrats again on the 7 months. Keep up the good work!
sb
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
Leftfield, 7 months sober is wonderful! Keep up the good work.

I know what it's like to lose a job. I remind myself that I didn't lose it because of a lack of competence, quality, or contribution. And so this is my mantra: I'm competent, qualified and a contributor. Somebody will want that in their organization.

Sounds like you could use this as your mantra as well.

Congrats again on the 7 months. Keep up the good work!
sb
Thank you! I will definitely use it as a mantra.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Sorry you're feeling low Leftfield.

Just wondering if you've read the info on PAWs. https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
It hit me hard at around 6 or 7 months, although to be fair, I hadn't really started my step work at that point. But regardless, it meant that i needed to step uo my recovery game while it was rattling me. Getting more involved in mg step work and with others in the fellowship, taking on some service commitments, and a few volunteering things locally (as much so I could get to know other locals somehow other than through drinking) all helped me.

Rekindling some hobbies and interests helped as well. Some were non-starters after giving them a couple of goes, but others I really enjoyed. Bell ringing was a complete wash out (never realised I was quite that uncoordinated lol) but creative writing and tap dancing were both winners. Volunteering for me meant one-off events more that a regular commitment because of work, for example, I've helped at firework displays, with marshalling at running events (I don't run but I can shout encouraging words to people who do), made teas for fun raisering events, looked after a donkey for the city nativity, served dinners and given lifts to people for the Christmas day meal at the cathedral. Not exactly high profile, but all stuff that got me out of my own head, allowed me to meet people I'd have never met otherwise (some very lovely ones), and have tended to help me feel more positive about the world than the doom and gloom that comes over the TV at me was making me feel.

Anyway - I hope you feel a bit better soon.

BB
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to try writing. Have always loved it & actually thinking about self-publishing.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, is there something you are good at doing? Some past hobby or job that you feel you know pretty well?

You could find a forum that deals with that and offer to help people who are struggling in that area. I think the key is to be busy doing something productive so your mind doesn't have time to wander down those fear pathways.

Walking - especially in nature - is very similar to EMDR and can help in the processing. The side-to-side eye movement along with the steady rhythm and breathing I do while walking outdoors is therapeutic. There are also a lot of websites that help with PTSD.
Thank you. All good suggestions.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I can totally see the wisdom and benefit of the 2-year plan.....absolutley, it might be less in the end, but concentrating on your health is a very good thing....just my thoughts.
Yes, I need to get my head back on straight. ..
Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Your head IS on straight.....you are doing everything right.
This is just the part that hurts....and whether it's emotions or physical, all of that is OK....all we can do is the best to see what's going on and talk about it...you are doing all of that.

Keep going. Maybe talk to your do and do bloodwork....this is all good, even though it might not feel like it right now.

Thinking of you and sending love.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Your head IS on straight.....you are doing everything right.
This is just the part that hurts....and whether it's emotions or physical, all of that is OK....all we can do is the best to see what's going on and talk about it...you are doing all of that.

Keep going. Maybe talk to your do and do bloodwork....this is all good, even though it might not feel like it right now.

Thinking of you and sending love.
Thank you. I needed to hear this.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't have a DUI, but other than that, I cannot believe how much I can relate to your post leftfield. Wow, i could have written much of this.
I have no advice, but you are not alone.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I don't have a DUI, but other than that, I cannot believe how much I can relate to your post leftfield. Wow, i could have written much of this.
I have no advice, but you are not alone.
Good to know I'm not alone. Don't wish this on anybody but it helps that you can emphasize.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My beautiful husband wants you to know that he has survived a couple of DUIs....I know it's scary. And my friend in another thread just did really well re sentencing with hers....no jail time, just probation and classes. If you are doing the things you need to do to be healthy here, it will all go in your favour.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leftfield44 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to try writing. Have always loved it & actually thinking about self-publishing.
And, yes, have read about PAWS. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you might be a little depressed leftfield?
I think thats an understandable and valid response to events recently and to come - but there's no need to suffer, or to suffer alone.

If you haven;t spoken to a dr, therapist or some kind of health professional recently, I urge you to do so.

Recovery should be lived and savoured - not endured

D
Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It sounds like you might be a little depressed leftfield?
I think thats an understandable and valid response to events recently and to come - but there's no need to suffer, or to suffer alone.

If you haven;t spoken to a dr, therapist or some kind of health professional recently, I urge you to do so.

Recovery should be lived and savoured - not endured

D
Thank you Dee. I have a psych NP and am switching to a different one who is more understanding. I need to start going back to therapy too.