Notices

Maybe I protested too hard

Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

While I do think we are all a bit different, everyone has the same 'issue' about how we handle alcohol, in life in general and when it's in front of us specifically.

I think of the BB phrase 'which we used to recoil from as a hot flame' (para 4th ed I think p 85)....and one story I can recall is when I went to my first small dinner party at a friend's house. Small group of 6 and my friend knew about my sobriety. Without thinking - I was about 6-7 mo sober and largely chose to be "sheltered" along the way- I ate the delicious squid app. Turns out, when I asked how she did it, she had boiled it in wine as part of the cooking process. I freaked out - texting my sponsor and my sober mom, I cried, and I left the dinner party!!

My supporters calmed me down and my sponsor shared how she handled alcohol in food- not to knowingly ingest it and to stop eating if she realized. My philosophy on food- at 25 mo and change- is that I still don't eat it, as I just don't want it in my body in any way (and as I've shared here before the USDA describes in detail how the myth that it cooks off/out is largely untrue) - but I don't freak if I accidentally taste it because I didn''t realize, I stop eating and I send the dish back immediately.

Time has "calmed" my reactions to the "accidents" in life.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

That was what I would call a sane reaction Rar. Well done!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think you can relax...I'm sure your daughter isn't thinking about this. We tend to take ourselves and our problems overly seriously and create a false reality in our head...most people are focused on themselves!
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Rar -My comeback has usually been, "I'm trying to cutback calories and it leaves more room for dessert"
Old 04-07-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I tell people if they persist after the first refusal that 'it stopped being fun for me a few years back' and all I get are nods and that's it.. so far.