SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   At the beach and everyone in my condo is drinking - ugh (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/425890-beach-everyone-my-condo-drinking-ugh.html)

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:12 PM

At the beach and everyone in my condo is drinking - ugh

On a trip with two other families and the kids - the adults are all drinking/drunk, including my husband, who is wasted.

They were playing a dice game and I could tell my sober presence was a problem, because they started saying things like “I’m getting tipsy now madgirl, don’t judge” - so I retreated alone to my room with a book.

I feel like a social outcast. This sucks.

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:14 PM

I am safely sober with zero intention of drinking - just feel stupid and awkward, so I came here.

NoBones 04-04-2018 08:18 PM

Don't worry, tomorrow it will be them who feel awkward :)

tomsteve 04-04-2018 08:21 PM

glad ya came here madgirl. feelings arent always true. who WAS feeling akward were the people telling you not to judge. they wouldnt say that if they didnt think they themselves had a problem with alcohol.

stupid would have been stickin around the crazyness. you didnt- you made a wise move :You_Rock_

NoBones 04-04-2018 08:23 PM

There are a few people in chat if you're bored Madgirl

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:39 PM

Not bored. Irritated, particularly with my husband, who appears more interested in drinking with the other women on this trip than supporting me.

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:40 PM

I told him I was nervous about a solid week in a condo with drinkers and hoped he’d be in my corner - ugh.

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:42 PM

No one will feel awkward tomorrow because they all think it’s totally normal to drink on vacation, and yeah, lots of folks define time off to include cocktails. They probably think I am a total weirdo and a real debbie downer.

NoBones 04-04-2018 08:43 PM

People don't think straight when they are drunk. I'm not making excuses for him, but you understand how alcohol affects people.

notgonnastoptry 04-04-2018 08:47 PM

Yeah, I get it and it sucks.

Lots of times, I don't even look forward to those occasions anymore because I can't drink and though I'm not tempted, I'm not going to say I find more pleasure in being sober and looking a the beautiful roses, etc. I just can't drink because I can't handle it.

Anyway, and, yeah, I get that they won't feel awkward, especially among friends and if they don't do it all the time. Even if they do something stupid it will be forgotten about/blown off.

The real trouble comes with drinkers like me who say unfiltered crap or get in real fights with people while drunk. Social drinkers or those that get wasted once and a while don't do this.

sorry your husband is drunk and not sensitive right now.

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:50 PM

Our son is a senior in high school, and I agreed to this trip so he could spend spring break with his friends.

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:51 PM

The other moms are even making the other teenagers mixed drinks. Wtf

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:54 PM

It is just very painfully clear to me that while husband may be proud on some level of my sobriety, he also enjoys drinking and drinking/drunk women. He will be pissed at me for not trying to hang with them and retreating to my room instead

madgirl 04-04-2018 08:56 PM

Sorry for dumping all this out there tonight. Social awkwardness was always a trigger for me to get drunk, and now it is made even worse by hiding out sober by myself. I feel dreadful.

NoBones 04-04-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by madgirl (Post 6848876)
The other moms are even making the other teenagers mixed drinks. Wtf

Now this is a recipe for disaster...

NoBones 04-04-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by madgirl (Post 6848879)
Sorry for dumping all this out there tonight. Social awkwardness was always a trigger for me to get drunk, and now it is made even worse by hiding out sober by myself. I feel dreadful.

Just go back out there! Grab a glass of water, sit down, smile and nod for a while. You might settle in...

StellaBlu 04-04-2018 09:04 PM

Hi Madgirl,
I'm sorry about your situation. I've certainly been in similar situations.
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb idea, but I've 'pretended' to drink in situations like that. Like I'll have a drink in a mug and 'pretend' to sip it all night. Or I'll have water and 'pretend' it's wine.
sb

madgirl 04-04-2018 09:08 PM

They know I don’t drink, and I left because it was clear that I was making them feel self conscious about drinking (one lady is a teacher).

madgirl 04-04-2018 09:28 PM

Alcohol on vacations, work trips, home life - I hate alcohol, hate it. It is frigging everywhere and those of us who quit drinking are the weirdos.

Damn. I need some sober people in my life. I am lonely!

StellaBlu 04-04-2018 09:33 PM

Madgirl - BTW, I really like your avatar.