Notices

At the beach and everyone in my condo is drinking - ugh

Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm really mad on your behalf that your husband wasn't more supportive.

But, you can't change him. He's also just having fun and letting his hair down. He means no harm. So, you'll have to let live...

What's really coming through is that terrible feeling of being the "uncool" one, of not fitting in, of being the outcast. I can identify. It's an awful feeling.

But, it's pretty much in your head. You can change that feeling by changing your perspective. Get self-righteous. You are awesome for doing 2 years of sobriety. How many people have that strength and resolve?! Not many. But you do.

Finally, I'll just say that in sobriety, I've experienced sometimes a kind of weariness in being the one who understands, the one who extends compassion, the one who bears the more responsible attitude, in the face of people who can't or won't make the effort to do the same. I think that's what's happening for you here, so bravo for being that more responsible person.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well, lessons learned, yah?
Next vacay, do it differently.
Sometime, in our recovery, we leave some things behind.
Glad you are doing well.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
I was deeply disappointed that I wasn’t able to count on him in a stressful time.
My wife never read the manual I wrote for her on how to be supportive, either. I felt a lot better when I quit expecting that she would.

Glad you got out and enjoyed the morning!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
My wife never read the manual I wrote for her on how to be supportive, either. I felt a lot better when I quit expecting that she would.

Glad you got out and enjoyed the morning!
He drinks at home, and I’d expected him to drink on this trip - but not to staggering, jagermeister shots, pathetic levels - especially in front of all these teenage boys.

I am digesting this experience. I don’t know if I want to live like this the rest of my days.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Regarding self-righteousness, I am still far too aware of madgirl the drunk to feel self-rightepus. I know I would have been consumed by all those bottles lining the kitchen right now. I know I would have possibly (accidentally) blacked out - in front of those teenagers - and deeply embarrassed my son. So if these people end up gossiping about me that I am a sober stick in the mud, I will be so glad.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You have so much to be proud of.
I do understand how it is hard to be around a husband who drinks, particularly where it is that getting drunk kind of drinking. Trying to find my way through that particular struggle myself.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Madgirl- I've been following your thread and I just want to reach out to you with support. I too have a husband who continues to drink and I cannot imagine being on a trip with him and his boozing buddies.

As others have said, now you know NOT to go on group trips with these people. You did exactly what I would have done, in getting up and going out on your own for a run. Keep doing things for yourself and forget about what the others think. If they want to drink, let them...you do you and let them do them.

Hang in!
CT
Old 04-06-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Madgirl- I've been following your thread and I just want to reach out to you with support. I too have a husband who continues to drink and I cannot imagine being on a trip with him and his boozing buddies.

As others have said, now you know NOT to go on group trips with these people. You did exactly what I would have done, in getting up and going out on your own for a run. Keep doing things for yourself and forget about what the others think. If they want to drink, let them...you do you and let them do them.

Hang in!
CT
My son is an only child. This is his last spring break as a high school student, and he wanted to be with his friends. That is the only reason I agreed to this scenario. I wanted our own condo but the other families on the trip couldnt afford that (but 30 plus bottles of liquor was doable?!)

Trust me. Never again.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My H was just now bragging to the other women that he gets like so trashed on his canoe trips.

I couldn’t resist saying “oh - you are, like, so cool.”

He is 47 freaking years old, and that is just sad.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

ya know, MG, it is believed by many that an alcoholic stops growing mentally and emotionally when they take their first drink.
im glad you see how sad it is.

whats your plan for the rest of the day? youre on vacation- isnt there sites to see?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I get so annoyed when I see parents encourage their teens to drink. I've seen this turn out badly many times. And it's like they are teaching their children that you can't have a good time without drinking.

I'm going in a limo with my sober husband this weekend for a dinner theatre party where there will be drinking (hence the limo), and my husband said I should go ahead and drink too. I was wavering and your post answered my question. Don't need to drink to have fun, Thanks
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
People who use vacations as an excuse to drink excessively are escaping from lives they don't really like.

Sounds like a situation where I'd have to find something extraordinary about the sunrise and mention it to them at brunch.
I could NOT disagree more. I know plenty of very hardworking, responsible folks who go on vacation and have a few more than they usually would. The people who don't have a problem with alcohol return to normal life the next day. Even drinking excessively on vacation, if the context is appropriate, does not mean these people are unhappy or miserable.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Loved this "my issue- my deal- my adventure. "

I had never thought about the idea of sobriety as an adventure - cool thought.

Good on you Madgirl. Good on you.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Not a sightseeing kind of place - just the beach. I spent the day on the beach with everyone. Prior to going down, I pulled H aside and asked him to be responsible and not get trashed. He whined and hissed “what are you - my mom?!”

Tonight if he does shots and acts like a fool it’s on him. I told him we would have a serious problem. I think he is trying to impress this other woman (like a teenage boy).

The teenagers on the trip are far more sophisticated than their parents.

I have much to ponder about my own future.

Last edited by madgirl; 04-06-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

This is the last night, thank God.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

At least its nearly over....you did the best you could for your son, by letting him have time with friends. You paid a heavy price in terms of what you had to put up with, but at least its almost at an end. For me though I know those kinds of situations breed resentment. I hope you can find a way to shake that off because it only hurts you in the end.
Take care.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I have much to ponder about my own future.
Good luck, madgirl.

I have changed many things in my life with sobriety and usually can trace the root of those changes back to a knowing of "this just isn't right". I had those insights when I was drinking too. The difference is that, with sobriety, I have found the will to make changes and the drive to follow them through. Oh, and the wisdom not to do things in a hurry.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Alcohol on vacations, work trips, home life - I hate alcohol, hate it. It is frigging everywhere and those of us who quit drinking are the weirdos.

Damn. I need some sober people in my life. I am lonely!
Sorry for barging into this thread -- I usually hang in Friends & Families -- but have you ever been to Al-Anon? It might provide an interesting perspective -- and plenty of recovering alkies go, not just normie spouses (although that's the stereotype).

Good luck!

T