Notices

Day 3

Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

So I decided on Monday , after drinking way too much over Easter....and if we are being honest, drinking way too much over the last 5 years or so, to quit drinking. I have tried quitting a few times before, but rarely made it longer than a few days without finding some excuse and continuing back at it.
A typical week night for me includes about 4-6 drinks, usually either beer or whiskey (or a combination) , and around twice that on Fridays and Saturdays.
So far (and I'm only three days into it) that first night has been the worst. I work all day and its been pretty busy, which helps. After work i go to the gym for about an hour, and that also helps alot. The worst time of day is between 6pm and after. Usual drinking time. My hands start sweating and shaking, my heart starts racing, and i get super anxious. For the most part it seems like it comes in waves and it sucks but it is bearable. What hasn't been bearable is trying to sleep. I'm guessing because my body isn't used to sleeping without alcohol. The slightest sound in the house sounds like its amplified 100x, the air kicking on or a car driving by makes me snap awake. The first night i tried taking a sleeping aid but i feel like that's making it worse. I can make it about an hour or two sleeping before i wake up, sweating and anxious again....
Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this? I've been thinking that maybe getting some type of canned/carbonated beverage would help somewhat with cravings between after dinner and bed.... Selzter water maybe..as for the crappy sleep, I'm assuming that's just going to take time.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleeping definitely sucks early on. You have a couple choices. Either tough it out and know that it will soon pass (a week or two), or go see a doctor and explain yourself. With any luck, the Dr. might prescribe something to help you get some sleep during the next 7 - 10 days.

I've done it both ways, multiple times. Although you may be tired, it's not nearly as miserable as an anxiety filled hangover after 7 or 8 hours of unconsciousness.

In the next 2 weeks or so, you should start sleeping well on your own. That's when the vivid dreams started for me... Sometimes they're nightmares, sometimes they're pretty cool.. Either way, it's a great sign that you're actually getting good sleep.

Hang it there, it only gets better!!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you are going through the detox process and sleeping is often a big problem for people during that time. Hopefully things will improve in a few days. If you have any concerns don't be afraid to talk to your dr. Detoxing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Cayde!

I use self-guided meditations for relaxation and sleep. I get into bed, put my ear buds in and follow the instructions. Very relaxing. I like Tara Brach. She has the voice of stillness.

Good luck!