Notices

Guilt

Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt

What am I going to do about this guilt! It is all consuming-please help! Has anyone felt this, I feel guilty because I drank yesterday after 3 days sober. I am so tired, mentally and physically and actually have no one to share this with. I had a sponser but felt like I could not burden her with my stuff-did not know the limits of the sponser relationship.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t know much about sponsorship but I do know that drink is a depressant.
These negative feelings are caused by negative thinking and doing.
Something alcohol teaches us.
Cognitive therapy and mindfulness helped me find a new way.

I have feelings now after 13 months that I sometimes don’t know how to deal with. People in recovery are getting to know every part of themselves. There is so much I didn’t know about myself. Once we accept things for what they are we can move on and grow.

Guilt for drinking is just your addiction trying to make you drink again.( post drinking blues or boozers gloom)
Don’t beat yourself up, you are trying to address the situation,
Coming here getting a sponsor etc.
The guilt will go, you haven’t done anything wrong your brain just got addicted that’s all.
You can fix it by not drinking.

You can show and educate you kids about addiction so they are aware of the dangers. Use your experience to protect them.

You can do it you just have to be kind to yourself like you would to your best friend

Take care
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Neena,

From my experience with binge drinking, the effect of guilt and shame seems like a brain chemistry thing. I have felt it everytime I drink, even when I have only been sitting at home listening to music with no social interaction. I'm not saying that you won't be ashamed of your actions later. But that crushing guilt and shame during the hangover disappears to almost nothing after a couple of days. That's why I keep drinking, because after a few days the guilt is gone.

So, get rest and water and food into you. You will feel better soon. But when you are feeling good, that's when the danger of drinking is real.

Like everybody says...you have to have a plan and get rid of all the easy temptations. Because you are going to want to drink again soon. And those urges to drink are VERY hard to beat. But it can be beaten, as you can see from all these great members and mods.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

P.s if I were you I’d tell my sponsor everything
Old 04-03-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=NoBones;6847601]Hi Neena,

From my experience with binge drinking, the effect of guilt and shame seems like a brain chemistry thing. I have felt it everytime I drink, even when I have only been sitting at home listening to music with no social interaction. I'm not saying that you won't be ashamed of your actions later. But that crushing guilt and shame during the hangover disappears to almost nothing after a couple of days. That's why I keep drinking, because after a few days the guilt is gone.
Thank you that was sooooo helpful
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

I had a sponser but felt like I could not burden her with my stuff-
Whenever anyone comes to me because they are struggling, I don't look at as a burden but rather an opportunity to make a small payment back on what has been so freely given to me by others. Don't deprive your sponsor of the opportunity.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My suggestion is to make sure you come back here when you are feeling stronger, with a plan. Share it here to help you feel more accountable. The mods and experienced members can look at your plan and give you advice to maybe improve it.

Goodluck
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Whenever anyone comes to me because they are struggling, I don't look at as a burden but rather an opportunity to make a small payment back on what has been so freely given to me by others. Don't deprive your sponsor of the opportunity.
I never thought of it like that. Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neena View Post
What am I going to do about this guilt! It is all consuming-please help! ... I feel guilty because I drank yesterday after 3 days sober.
Welcome. There's lots of support here.

But you answered your own question. You feel guilty because you drank. Don't drink.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think guilt is another clever expression of addicts like us of self-centeredness and avoidance. Yes, I can relate. Still do in other areas. I'm currently fighting procrastination. Sometimes I think I'd rather deal with guilt than deal with the responsibility I have to do the things I need to do to recover. How messed up is that?

Not trying to be harsh. I seriously empathize. But my own experience - which is all I have - is that my own feelings of anxiety, depression, guilt, etc. largely went away on their own when I simply stopped drinking. Addition by subtraction type thing.

Get sober. What's the downside?

Glad you are here. It's a good place.

-B