Notices

Relapse Defined

Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Defined

Hey all.
Good evening. As mentioned yesterday I had a quantity of gin at the weekend in my week 4. We covered that yesterday. Im still here attempting to support and taking it.
So my question. What is a relapse. Is it an occasional tipple? - a full blown state of drunkenness resulting in physical withdrawal etc ?- a period of continuous drinking? All three?.
Im trying to see how my pause sits in terms of my aim of total abstinence. Are there different sizes , types of relapse?
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It's up to you. We can give opinions, but in the end you decide.

If your aim is total abstinence I think you've answered the question. How having a "quantity of gin" given your goal can be spun to be OK is not clear to me.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What does it matter what it's labeled as (slip up, relapse) Just don't drink. It kind of just sounds like you're looking for a way to justify or rationalize past or future drinking.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In terms of the physiology of addiction, any intake is a relapse, because any amount triggers the pleasure center of the brain and erases any forward progress of resetting the brain for accepting a "normal" level of dopamine. (I have a reference for this, PM me if you want it.)

For us personally, relapse can actually be a learning experience- why did that happen, how long until we get back on the sober train, and it actually can be a blip on the screen that makes our resolve even stronger. It can also be a huge backslide and last for years- as so many of us know personally. That's why they are so risky and we work so hard to prevent them from happening.

If total abstinence is your goal, then any intake means you should firm up your plan, carefully examine what happened and by all means, don't pick up.

4 weeks is fantastic, and the good news is you will not lose what you've learned in that time- that experience is yours to build on as you continue to pile up the sober time and strength.

Keep going!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
Im trying to see how my pause sits in terms of my aim of total abstinence. Are there different sizes , types of relapse?
There are two types of relapses:

1) Those you come back from, and
2) Those you don't.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not Justifying Relapse

Thanks all.
I didnt mean to offer justification. I feel rather sorry for myself if truth be known but I always try to move forward - questioning - learning from others.
So - it doesnt really matter how we define relapse then - just dont do it - whatever you think it means.
And - theres optimism - 4 weeks is good and I can learn to rebuild after my slip.
Thats what Im going to do . A bit like a sports game - I wasnt sure if Id win to nil. But Im certainly going to stretch out for the most goal difference that I can achieve.
Ive always been used to part whole learning - bit like walk before you can run. However Im perceived by the group - Im trying and right now cannot see a pick up point.
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My opinion is that a relapse is when a drop of alcohol crosses your lips.

You can make your own definition of a relapse if you like.

I'm glad you're back to working on your recovery.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank You Carl

Im back and at it !
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Relapse, slip, oops, mistake - lots of different words, but they all mean the same thing. Willingly and knowingly drinking any amount of alcohol of any kind is not abstinence in my book.

What's far more important though is to make a plan to get back to abstinence and stay there. What happened has happened, so learn from it and move on.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna

Im leaning on you lot for the answer - if I knew it all I shouldnt have ended up throwing a load of my life away.
Im on this learning curve and wanting the knowledge and viewpoints is helping me along the way. Like a game of snakes and ladders - Im trying to lose the dice.
Thank you
Dave 🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dave, we are all on this journey together. We might be at different point, but we're all on the same path. You're doing great!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

drinking is drinking.
sober is not drinking.
'bout as simple as it gets.

try not to overthink it too much, just don't drink no matter what. keeping it simple also keeps it much easier.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What is a relapse

my opinion:
a thought process that ends with a drink.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A relapse is any time you drink deliberately. No matter for how long.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Anvil
Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Theres The Plan Scott

Im not used to a never ending road - at least thats what it would appear to be. I cant grasp the final outcome - the trophy. Obviously in this final chapter that would be eternal sobriety - and the road is never ending. I think I cant wait for the easy bit. It cant be a battle forever. Ive read that you can enjoy being free of alcohol - its been with me for so long - but this has been my longest sniff at success without being in group etc. Im ready and not ready - but Im sure enjoying the benefits - eyes , skin, alertness, being kinder to others , cashflow - you get me - and Im getting me together.
Fighting my friend.
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There are two types of relapses:

1) Those you come back from, and
2) Those you don't.

Brilliant.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To me it is if your mind is changed and you are not sober due to the voluntary use of alcohol and/or illegal drugs after a significant amount of clean time. The amount of clean time I guess varies but in my opinion to be considered a real relapse at least a week clean although I'm sure others will disagree with me.

It is important to remember relapses are extremely dangerous because as many people here have said when we have clean time our addiction goes on steroids and is waiting to come back 10x as strong as before.

Some people relapse and go right back to being clean and never drink/use again or have several years clean before they relapse again. Others relapse get a few weeks clean then relapse again, repeat, until something really bad happens. There are others who relapse, never get clean again and eventually die or die the night of their relapse. There are so many different scenarios it is almost impossible to say what can/will happen.

Overall a relapse should be avoided at all costs but if it does happen it's important to get right back to trying to get clean so you fall right back into the hell of addiction. So it is not a be-all end-all but it's certainly very serious even a minor one.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If You Say So Yourself

Wisdom Carl
🤠
Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Danger

Im back anyway.
It didnt get me. And no - that doesnt mean that would justify cracking open another next weekend. Im happy that I survived. Its being a risk taker that led me here. Now Im aiming to live risk averse when it comes to drink taking. Ill never be perfect - but Ill be the best I can.
Regards
Dave 🤠