Notices

In need of some encouragement

Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In need of some encouragement

Hey, so I’m on day 17 and went out with friends for lunch today and the wine was flowing 😬 I stuck to ginger beer. No one questioned why I wasn’t drinking. But Now I really want wine, I can’t stop thinking about it. Think I may have gone out too soon in my recovery. Does anyone have any good advice please?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First - good job on 17 days and the ginger beer.

Try and keep busy now - doesn't matter what, just have something to do.

Hang in there - it will pass, as long as you don't indulge it.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Jotick View Post
I can’t stop thinking about it.
Of course you can stop thinking about it. You just haven't yet.

That voice in my head used to tell me I'd never be able to stop thinking about drinking. You'll never be able to calm down and stop thinking about it, so you might as well drink.

Turns out it was just another lie. Like everything else it ever told me.

Go for a walk. Breathe deeply through your nose and contemplate the way the air feels at the tips of the nostrils. Imagine the sky is smiling at you.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, and I don't know if you're open to it, I would go to an AA meeting.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As hard as it may be, avoiding situations like the one you went to today is wise in early recovery. I've been sober since Oct 2015 and I still avoid things like wedding receptions and happy hours.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks so much for your comments and your support. I’ve got into bed with a book on being sober and a herbal tea. Currently reading about the dangers of alcohol. Also done some deep breathing to try and relax. There is an AA meeting near me tomorrow which I will go to. I really want to do this so thanks again you’ve all really helped me tonight 😊x
Old 04-02-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks so much for your comments and your support. I’ve got into bed with a book on being sober and a herbal tea. Currently reading about the dangers of alcohol. Also done some deep breathing to try and relax. There is an AA meeting near me tomorrow which I will go to. I really want to do this so thanks again you’ve all really helped me tonight 😊x
Good job Jotick 👍something I would have suggested was to "play the tape forward"...your post sounded like the romatisicing of alcohol without the fallout part which has led many of us to make this decision to embrace society. When I find myself romantisising about drinking, I quickly remind myself of the guilt, shame, anxiety and hangover that would surely follow the wine. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey J. Well done on your sobriety so far and for recognising the danger zones and posting re the obsessive thinking.

I'm so pleased that you'll be getting to a meeting tomorrow, as that will help a lot. There are also lots of AA recovery speakers you can listen to online for free here... https://www.recoveryaudio.org/step-1-speaker-tapes

And the Big Book of AA can be read online for free as well.... https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous (I started with the personal stories, in particular the ones in the 'They stopped in time' section. Typically arse-about-face lol).

There really are SO many resources available.

Good luck for your meeting tomorrow. It can be very scary walking in for the first time, but so many of us feel a real sense of coming home when we do so and listen to others talking in a way that we find we can relate to, even if the details may be slightly different. Focus on the similarities, not the differences. If you find yourself having a few tears don't worry - plenty of us do that at our first meeting. It's worth popping a tissue or two in your pocket anyway. Other than that you don't need anything other than open ears and an open mind. Let us know how you get on.

BB
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Good job Jotick 👍something I would have suggested was to "play the tape forward"...your post sounded like the romatisicing of alcohol without the fallout part which has led many of us to make this decision to embrace society. When I find myself romantisising about drinking, I quickly remind myself of the guilt, shame, anxiety and hangover that would surely follow the wine. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Thx Nova. Your so right about the fallout i will keep that in mind. Thank you
Old 04-02-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hey J. Well done on your sobriety so far and for recognising the danger zones and posting re the obsessive thinking.

I'm so pleased that you'll be getting to a meeting tomorrow, as that will help a lot. There are also lots of AA recovery speakers you can listen to online for free here... https://www.recoveryaudio.org/step-1-speaker-tapes

And the Big Book of AA can be read online for free as well.... https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous (I started with the personal stories, in particular the ones in the 'They stopped in time' section. Typically arse-about-face lol).

There really are SO many resources available.

Good luck for your meeting tomorrow. It can be very scary walking in for the first time, but so many of us feel a real sense of coming home when we do so and listen to others talking in a way that we find we can relate to, even if the details may be slightly different. Focus on the similarities, not the differences. If you find yourself having a few tears don't worry - plenty of us do that at our first meeting. It's worth popping a tissue or two in your pocket anyway. Other than that you don't need anything other than open ears and an open mind. Let us know how you get on.

BB
Thx BB. I will check out those links. Starting to realise that to get through this I need a lot more support than I thought I would. I’m already starting to feel more focused about life in general and have some get up and go in me that had virtually disappeared! So I know that sober is good for me and drinking is not. Thanks for AA pointers! Will keep you posted
Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I attended a neighbourhood party in very early recovery and managed to stay sober through the evening. But, the seed was planted and the next day, I was out buying wine. I couldn't stop thinking about it. For me, I had to stay away from alcohol for quite awhile, before I felt comfortable.

I'm glad you got through the evening!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jotick - yeah it may have been too soon - it took me several months(most of the year to be honest) to be comfortable around drinkers and not want to drink -, but I'm glad you sorted your head out &are back on track

D
Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks D and Anna. I’m so grateful for SR as I’m sure I would have got wine had I not posted on here. Have a few days off work so packing it with lots of productive activities 😃
Old 04-03-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thx BB. I will check out those links. Starting to realise that to get through this I need a lot more support than I thought I would. I’m already starting to feel more focused about life in general and have some get up and go in me that had virtually disappeared! So I know that sober is good for me and drinking is not. Thanks for AA pointers! Will keep you posted
Read some of the personal stories in the AA book, very inspirational thank you B.B. x
Old 04-03-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Jo. Glad they were helpful. How long til your meeting?

BB
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17/18 days, and getting through a booze lunch without drinking!

This may sound simplistic but perhaps:
1. Mindfulness? (I use the app Headspace, and/ or the website franticworld.com. Both have free meditations)
2. A CBT technique: when you start thinking about wine, picture a stop sign and say “STOP!” To yourself. Maybe clap your hands out loud at the same time to add neuro linguistic programming. Then move on to something else. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not....
Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, from what I can tell you are doing the right things.

Our brains are plastic - the connections and pathways between and along neurons literally re-wire themselves in response to our surroundings. It's like anything habitual really - the cravings you were experiencing were likely just a result of the old habits. It's takes a lot less energy for those electrical impulses to travel the old paths than to travel new ones. Path of least resistance type thing.

All that stuff you are doing - the books about AA, educating self about the dangers of alcohol, etc. are seriously contributing to forming new connections. Bravo. And the little comfort things are awesome for easing the discomfort of forming those new habits and ways of thinking.

It takes time - but anyone that says people don't change is just flat out wrong.

Sorry for so much nerdery.

Keep working it!

-B
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just saw this thread love.....sorry to be a bit late.
Thinking of you and hoping you are OK.
I could not/did not go 'out; in early recovery.....nowhere where people were drinking. But that was just me.....I was fragile. I think it is OK to look to wrap ourselves in cotton wool a little in the beginning....I know it helped me.