Notices

Slight weight gain

Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slight weight gain

I am committed to staying sober one day at a time. I am exercising a lot, primarily during that rough time of day for me. I am still eating too much sugar. I am 2 months sober now. I've gained a few lbs. Right now I am still giving myself slack on the eating because I am primarily trying to not drink but am I just being too lenient on myself with the sugar?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are doing your body so much good by giving up alcohol i wouldn't worry about a little extra sugar (for know). I ate like a pig last year and didn't get serious about dieting until this year, Getting and staying sober needs to be your first priority, then you can worry about your diet!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome job with being 2 months sober! However, I think you are asking the wrong question. At that early stage in you recovery, the key question on your mind ought to be: ‘Am I doing everything I can do protect my sobriety?’.
Since quitting alcohol leaves you with a sugar deficit, consuming sugar addresses your cravings for alcohol to a large extent and puts your recovery on a safe footing.
And here’s the good news: These cravings will go away as your body is healing. For me it was noticeable at the 6 month mark and now, at close to 9 month, I have gone on the Keto diet. Don’t really crave sugar any longer, so this move poses no risk to my sobriety, And now I’ll get rid of the excess weight...
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

“Getting and staying sober needs to be your first priority, then you can worry about your diet!”

Retired guy,
Lol, you beat me to it!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The sugar thing is really common. I did it and so have a lot of people. It dies down on its own, so don't stress out about it. Sugary treats helped me a lot in early days. By six months it had gone down to a normal amount...unless it's Butter Pecan ice cream, then all bets are off.

Whatever it takes, I say.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mac4711;6844434]“Getting and staying sober needs to be your first priority, then you can worry about your diet!”

Yes, absolutely! The sweet tooth will pass. After 6 months or so I started to slowly lose.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear ya on the sugar thing.....as we've posted about before. For me its a substance that I do abuse. And, once I start I don't want to stop.....hmmm there's something else I do that with....hahaha.

So I have also put on a 'few'. And couple the carb cravings with being a 52 year old woman and I'm pretty sure I can watch myself gain weight. Oop! there's another lb.

So its back to Keto for me. I'm on day 3 and its going well. No cravings for sugar whatsoever. Funny how that works

I guess, for me, my love of sugar is addictive in nature so there is no normal for me. And based on the sugar, caffeine and nicotine gorging that I watch at my AA meetings I don't think I'm the only one. Just decide for yourself when your use of sugar becomes a substitute for alcohol...if it even does. It does work in a pinch, but long term I believe dealing with cravings and triggers requires an approach that doesn't involve an external substance.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sugar thing is common - your body is still craving it, and of course there's still the psychological desire. Sugar can be as powerfully addictive as anything, but with time, it'll pass. At first I found that fruit, especially pineapple and "halo" oranges helped a great deal. The natural fruit in sugar is way better for you, and burns off easier.

Not to say a piece of cheesecake here and there didn't grab hold of me ;-)