Notices

Quick question

Old 03-31-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question

What the hell causes an overpowering craving.? OMG! Since I’ve been sober for the last 61 days my cravings have been quite small. Nothing bad or anything. My AV starts and I end it. With all the hockey and my wife still drinking her usual glass of wine, I figured I would’ve caved a long time ago. LOL. But I haven’t. But a few minutes ago I got this wild feeling that came over me. I know it was a craving because I had to stop and remind myself that just one sip will derail all my progress. It took about 10 minutes,and a trip to the biffy to pass. It wasn’t scary or anything but very powerful and fast,and overwhelming. Is this normal???
Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
What the hell causes an overpowering craving.? OMG! Since I’ve been sober for the last 61 days my cravings have been quite small. Nothing bad or anything. My AV starts and I end it. With all the hockey and my wife still drinking her usual glass of wine, I figured I would’ve caved a long time ago. LOL. But I haven’t. But a few minutes ago I got this wild feeling that came over me. I know it was a craving because I had to stop and remind myself that just one sip will derail all my progress. It took about 10 minutes,and a trip to the biffy to pass. It wasn’t scary or anything but very powerful and fast,and overwhelming. Is this normal???
I'm a bit over a year and I think Tue? I could smell Jameson in my bathroom. I was mainly a beer guy,with some liquor on occasion(until.. you know vodka was faster type thing)..but yeah..was odd and tripped me out for a few. They do get shorter and less frequent as you add up more sober time.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No More Hiding

Could be lots of things! I am 63 days here so in a similar boat, and find when I get cravings like that it's due to complacency - when I am feeling good and healthy minded to the point that I think I'm all better and can have a beer and it'd be no big deal. It's definitely ironic and odd but that's my experience thus far. Cheers to your 61 days, keep kicking those cravings' back where they belong!
Old 03-31-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New way I think that’s what happened to me. Complacency.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MrBrad

That must have been an anomaly. Don't worry. It won't happen again.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't read like an anomaly to me,I'm afraid and it will almost certainly happen again.

I don't think my experience is abnormal.

I craved, or had sudden thoughts of drinking, for quite a long time.

They came up when I was bored, angry, tired, hungry - or when I feeling good.

To me early recovery wasn't about not having those thoughts, it was about knowing what to do when they came up.

If coming here is your new default, I reckon that's a pretty good head start canuckleman

D
Old 03-31-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with Dee. For me, cravings are a common part of early recovery. Why else would so many cave and pick up again? I’m 38 days in and the past few days have had a sudden wave of cravings crash in all of a sudden.

I think the important thing is not to beat yourself up over suddenly having a fleeting desire to drink, especially if you drank as long and as much as I did. Just dont act on it.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I learnt to accept that I had cravings but that I didn't have to act on them. They are only thoughts. Like a demanding child.

I learnt to sit with them and they passed. Surprisingly quickly. One moment they seemed overwhelming then suddenly gone.

They stopped after a while. I don't get cravings for alcohol now. If I am HALT, I will get the thought for sugary food float through me. A nice cup of tea chases that away.

I find the key is good solid self care routine. Good food and plenty of na fluids, rest and exercise . We are worth it.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in early recovery and day 3 was bad then really nothing til a few days ago. It sort of freaked me out but I found for me it was to do with previous habits.