Notices

Brand New here

Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brand New here

Saying hi. Been drinking between 1 and 2 pints of vodka a night. Started out as 1 pint about 11 years ago to ease anxiety and help sleep, and, has worked it's way to 1 up to at least 2, especially after a recent car accident. No DUI, no injuries, but needed a new car.

I got laid off from my job because I wasn't showing up some days due to depression, and didn't have the high energy attitude I used to have. Then, I started day drinking which made it worse. After scaring my significant other and his mother, I finally decided to call a doctor. They were booked out 10 days in advance. Called psychiatrist, she referred me to a detox. Made me promise to visit the hospital that day. I did, and they addmitted me to detox. I've been here 48 hours and I feel great. They've been giving me anti-anxiety meds and have help me relax. Family has been mixed, most have been supportive, some of them scared. I reached out to a friend of mine whose partner has been sober 28 years, he had no idea I had a problem, but it's more than happy to help. Today is day 3. Thankfully no bad shakes, and I have some great support to look forward to. My significant other first accuse me lying the first 6 years of our relationship. My friend reassures him it's not intentional and that I did not mean to do it. Hoping things will get better from here. I'm hoping to be able to get out to at least spend Easter with my family. They don't know what I've been through yet, and I'm not sure I'm ready to say. Over the past several years, I was never a social drinker. I didn't drink at bowling leagues. I didn't drink at family events. I only drank it home to help with sleep. I drank in my significant other's house in secret, so that I could sleep over. He's ashamed of that, and considers it lying to him. Thankfully, our friend is reassuring him it's not my fault. And that I'm working on it.

I look forward to all the support I can find on here and look forward to posting when I'm not busy drinking, which I hope will be never again. I've read on here a lot about people stories over the past few months, now it's time to make my own story. Look forward to hearing from you.

34Blue
Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

It sounds like overall you have some pretty good support around you. That, together with the support you will find here, will help you kick the drink. It's great when you do.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site.

I would say use any and every resource you can find to help you.

All the drinking problems went away when I stopped pouring it into my own mouth.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi 34Blue

I look forward to hearing updates on your sobriety journey. Wishing you well 💙
Old 03-31-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello! I'm new here too. I wanted to wish you good luck on your journey
Old 03-31-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, 34Blue, to SR; very glad you found us. Recovery support is so very important.

Congratulations on a successful detox and on day 3 of sobriety.

You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Have a look around the site, giving special attention to the Stickies at the top of each forum. There is a wealth of information, wisdom and experience in them.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm rooting for you. 42 days here and today was so hard... But these people here helped me through it. Post often. These people know what they are talking about. Best to you.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

Sounds like you have some very good reasons to quit.

My advice is to work hard at that - and take responsibility for the things you've done.

Its not about beating your self up - but admitting I'd done wrong and owning the bad choices I'd made disease or not, didn't mean it or not - that was crucial to my recovery and crucial to me rebuilding the fences I'd broken with my loved ones.

D
Old 03-31-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place for encouragement, 34Blue. I stopped drinking after 30 yrs. when I came here & could be honest about my addiction. Everyone understands what you're going through, & we want to help.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MrBrad

This certainly can be a great place to find support with turning the tides. It's amazing what can happen when one stops drinking. The chain of woe comes to a sudden halt and life appears much brighter. Please keep us posted with your success in the future. May this be the start of something great.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Blue.

It might be that your partner won't be able to 'get it', and the trust will just need to be earned back over time. TIME - Things I Must Earn. Doesn't sit well with the average instant-relief seeking alcoholic, but we can learn to accept and live life on those kind of terms. That's what recovery is about.

It's worth finding out about support groups locally so when you come home you can get straight into that recovery work. A detox doesn't reset our broken off-switch, so it's something we need to keep working on, like we need to eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom. Otherwise we will, if we're lucky, get a rotten quality of sobriety, or if less lucky, and up drinking again.

If you contact your local area AA they will likely be able to send someone (same gender) to come visit you for a chat in hospital if that woukd be helpful.

BB
Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support so far. It's interesting, I got here in such a hurry because of my doctor's urgency, (change of clothes, wallet, ID, insurance card,) in the car to drive myself in! I'm trying to type this from my tiny smartphone. It's a little hard to see, but I am getting through it. On the bright side, they said I'd get free parking for safety driving myself in for an overnight treatment
When I get home, I'll either be on my laptop or tablet. Day four today, and other than some weird dreams and a little bit of shaking upon waking from the dream, I felt the best I've felt in a long time. They woke me for a vital check, and I was in the best mood I've been in for early morning in many years.

I'm lining up friends I know who will be there to talk to me when I get out of here, and plan to attend meetings regularly!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's day 5, the longest I've ever gone without drinking in the 11 years of my "career." Because the last drink was around 1-2 AM Thursday, can I really call today day 5? Still at the hospital, ready to leave, but worried whether or not I can handle the real world. I'm supposed to meet with a social worker this morning to structure my meetings an support. Looking forward to that today.

34Blue
Old 04-02-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good on you. Hope the meeting with your social worker goes well. What kind of meetings are you thinking of going to? If you mean AA, thats something we do ourselves. Social workers don't get involved with that. If would kind of mess up the whole anonymity thing if social services were involved.

BB
Old 04-02-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

BB,

Maybe I'm using the wrong words. I think the importance of the visit is to schedule follow up outpatient treatment to help guarantee continued sobriety, and she provided a list of information I need, which included AA meetings, should I choose to use, the information is there. Thankfully no social issue at home, I only drank at night! When I told my doctor how much I've been drinking, she made promise "hospital today." I couldn't believe it, I'm not drunk! She then said I didn't understand withdrawal, and that I can definitely drive myself to the hospital! So I did. . The rest is history.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool. Yes, that sounds realistic and doable. Its good to have some one to run it past I suppose, as well as on here.

Good luck with your first AA meeting. When do you think that'll be?

Bb
Old 04-02-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The first AA meeting will probably be the day after I leave the hospital. There are several in my area, so I'm sure I can choose 1. If I don't like it, I don't like it. Who knows? I'll find out!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck 34Blue. The first few weeks can be stressful and emotions can be all over the place. Keep that in mind as thoughts of drinking may pop up. Sounds like you’re on the right track.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 34Blue View Post
The first AA meeting will probably be the day after I leave the hospital. There are several in my area, so I'm sure I can choose 1. If I don't like it, I don't like it. Who knows? I'll find out!
If you don't like the first one it's still worth trying some others. Different meetings can have very different vibes. Plus, it's likely that it'll take a few meetings to find your comfort zone.

BB
Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, 34Blue, and brilliant on 5 days! I am very glad you're here. SR has been a huge part of my getting and staying sober, and I hope you stick around with us.
Wishing you all the best.