Notices

Alcoholism a secondary addiction...

Old 03-30-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism a secondary addiction...

I'm a long time lurker...

Without going into it to much, I am a bulimic to the extreme.

I was also anorexic, so I did not drink at all.

I began drinking to relax myself into eating (my parents suggested it). Initially it worked, a small vodka diet coke, I could eat a tiny salad and not throw it up.

The drinking escalated, to a bottle of wine a night or more.

I have got in contact with my ED councillor who states it's a 2 year wait list or £60 a session (something I cannot afford).

I've been to AA, however as my primary addiction is bulimia it did not help :/

I'm not expecting answers just support, if anyone has been through this. xxx
Old 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Here and now

Can't say I've been through it, but you have my support.

My affliction has been anxiety, at times incredibly severe, so I can't say I know what you're going through, but that things do get much easier when the fog of alcohol starts to lift and that drinking may seem like a temporary relief but it always made it 10x worse.

You can do this!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think our addictions come from the same places.

Inability to handle life on life's terms. Anxiety. Fear.

There is a way out for all of it. As far as 12 Step programs, they do all address the underlying twisted thinking.

Have you read any books about overcoming this and overcoming in general? Whatever issue you have, there is a way out...the solutions are out there if you continue to search.

Alcoholism and bulimia have a lot in common. It's mostly about control and the irrational feeling of a lack of power.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both

I'm sure I have OCD to boot. I will wash the bedding every day (I'm sure this isn't normal).

I've ordered a book which my Doctor stated on anxiety, so hoping I can gain something off of this.xx
Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cassie, there are lots of great books out there that can help with healing. Don't stop at one!

When I was in the greatest pain and at my personal bottom, I think I read probably every self-help book that was in print. At least it seemed like it. I read until I felt some relief. Probably about two years worth.

They all have great points and there is something for everyone. Keep reading every self-help and spiritual book you can find. The library is a great place, so are yard sales or boot sales. I made it my mission to heal myself!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I have an ED as well. It’s awful having 2 contradicting addictions.
Sometimes I think that my eating disorder is the reason I drink but who knows.
Have you done any counselling? I just started and feel like it’s really going to help!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie , you done a great thing reaching out here as I,m sure you will find people who relate to your issue .
Firstly I am an alcoholic but also tend to use food as a comforter .
I was 8 month sober and had a relapse , not huge but a relapse just the same and prior to this I had been in a slimming club and doing great losing 18 lb but the past 2 days !!! well my eating has been nothing short of gluttony, Iv'e been eating anything and everything ..... why ? its an emotional comfort but I,m taking the reigns and pulling them tight today my 2 day eating binge is over ,its back to normality .

Keep posting and reading ,
Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also have both issues. Have you tried Overeaters Anon? The same steps except for a word or two in both but the fellowship around you will be people with food issues so you may relate more than in AA.

Just a thought.