Notices

Moving on from the nihilism of alcohol

Old 03-29-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving on from the nihilism of alcohol

I can't believe it's been so long, drinking feels like it was a lifetime ago and also no time at all. It's strange.

So yeah, so far a lot of things have gotten better, and I've struggled in other areas. One issue is that when I was drinking I had settled with the fact that I was going to drink until I died from it and very little else mattered. And as dark as this sounded, and it was, there was a freedom that came with that kind of nihilism. It didn't worry about the future because there was no future, and no responsibilities. Now, I worry about a new host of things, what I'm going to do with my life, the state of the world. I'm now adjusting not so much to a new life but having one at all. Anyone else experienced similar feelings?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still early in sobriety for the 100th time but yes, it's like a renewed growth and a new sense of existence.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone can identify with that sarahsays.

After a while I stopped worrying and just started living.

D
Old 03-29-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

One issue is that when I was drinking I had settled with the fact that I was going to drink until I died from it

I remember thinking after one of my relapses, "I guess I've made the decision to drink for the rest of my life."
Old 03-29-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great post, really hits home for me. I too felt that I was basically living, drinking , running my business and waiting for death. Pretty sad. I wrote awhile back that now I have goals, I have new ambitions and it feels great. Congratulations.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. As bizarre as it sounds, drinking gave me a real purpose in life. It was both my biggest problem - dealing with the effects and anxiety, planning my life around alcohol and trying to hide it - and my biggest pleasure. It didn't really leave much time for anything else. The real problems are a lot easier to deal with now though ...
Old 03-29-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interestingly I remember my CBT therapist asking me " which one do you think is the worst, when your feeling depressed or feeling anxious " I told her I liked it better being depressed as I couldn't think about too much of the future and that it was worse for me in an anxious state when my thoughts were all over the place .
Might not make much sense this response but I relate to what you are saying although drinking every day would be certain destruction for me .
Old 03-31-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I can relate to this. As bizarre as it sounds, drinking gave me a real purpose in life. It was both my biggest problem - dealing with the effects and anxiety, planning my life around alcohol and trying to hide it - and my biggest pleasure. It didn't really leave much time for anything else. The real problems are a lot easier to deal with now though ...
I think it not leaving much time for anything else is a big part of why this change is a shock, when your life is alcohol, it is simple and when things become complex again that can cause a lot of anxiety because we've fallen out of the habit of how to deal with it.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
Interestingly I remember my CBT therapist asking me " which one do you think is the worst, when your feeling depressed or feeling anxious " I told her I liked it better being depressed as I couldn't think about too much of the future and that it was worse for me in an anxious state when my thoughts were all over the place .
Might not make much sense this response but I relate to what you are saying although drinking every day would be certain destruction for me .
I suffer from depression and anxiety and always found the latter to be a much trickier thing to deal with as well.