Notices

One month sober challange - I think I´m an alcoholic

Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Caralara,

There are a lot of binge drinkers here who can do a month or more, but are still alcoholics.

Hows it going Godin?

D
Old 04-02-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Caralara,

There are a lot of binge drinkers here who can do a month or more, but are still alcoholics.

D
My Dad was a binge alcoholic. He could go months without a drink. What got him was once he took a drink, he was headed for about a week or more of daily drinking, working buzzed and staying out "with the boys" after work, but he would always make it to work. He finally stopped, and I swore I would never, ever drink. Bad prediction. As you know I started drinking in earnest once I turned 19. So much for swearing I would never drink!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Godin,

It is very mature of you to contemplate that you may have an alcohol abuse problem. It is very easy at your age to look at excessive drinking to be almost a right of passage, common practice, or hey it's what we do in college. I can look back to those days and say that I had many of the same feelings you have in regards to your relationship with alcohol. I did not drink often to excess, but the mental relationship was there. The physical dependency occurred later. I wish I knew enough then to address the beginning of a very bad relationship with alcohol.

Also, we have a son who recently spent some time at an inpatient rehab facility for his addiction issues. Alcohol is the primary concern and he is 21. I am thankful that he could differentiate his use from his peers and recognize his problems.