Notices

Antabuse

Old 03-12-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hi,

Bit of my story. I had 8 solid years of sobriety. Then in a moment of weakness picked up and then spent the best part of 4 years relapsing over and over, eventually ending up in hospital for 3 days with the most severe case of DTs. This wasn't enough and was not my bottom. Nearly dying was not enough.

Eventually I decided to get on Antabuse.

It changed everything, I no longer had to battle myself. Drinking was no longer an option. Even if I want to relapse, it will take 2 weeks to get the Antabuse out of my system, I would have to plan 2 weeks ahead!

It is such a huge relief and I have easily maintained my sobriety.

I have a question for the people here. Why don't more people use this?

CS
Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why don't more people use this?
Because it doesn't work that well for everyone. It's not a magic pill to cure alcoholism, it's a strong deterrent to drinking that works best in conjunction with a recovery program.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Chimp,

For me....no antabuse. I am trying to maintain sobriety drug free.

It is hard sometimes,

I have not been through heavy DT's yet. I did have hellish agoraphobia though.

Pretty much walked on the edge of sanity for a while.

But, it was all in my head. My ex carpool buddy made fuN of me fro driving 60 mph on the highway. My wife and son had to deal w me taking back streets 20 miles sometimes, because I was afraid of the freeway.

But, I am all better now.

Your relapse after 8 years clean is a great reminder that I am an addict for the rest of my life.

Thanks for that.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there!
For myself, I’m experiencing success with it. Much like you described, it helps take alcohol out of the question so I can’t even have the option to negotiate and can finally start building some serious sober time. But I do know it’s only a part of this process and am also working with an addiction counselor and AA. I’m doing the work to get prepared for when I exit it out of my program. Good luck and I’m happy that it’s working for you!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never used it. No experience to share.
Welcome to SR Chimpersneak

D
Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve used a dopamine inhibitor (topamirate) off and on over the years to cut down my drinking (the sinclaire method). And I have found it hugely effective.

However I also personally, for me, felt I needed to learn to be sober without it so I’m not on one now. I guess for me, I found that I was too tempted to not take it if I wanted to go on a bender (it has a short half-life of about 12 hours?)... ie it was a crutch rather than a cure. Not that I’m ‘cured’ now, but I feel more confident quitting without the meds.

Also, I found the dopamine inhibitor kept me sober, but that’s when I realised the alcohol was only one part of a much more complicated picture. I needed to address WHY I drink... not just the drinking itself.

But again, that’s just me, for now. In the past I have been grateful for the pharmacological assist and have wondered whether they won’t be used increasingly more in addiction treatments in the future... it will be interesting to see... and if antabuse is working for you, that’s great!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Was on it for close to 3 weeks and then came out in a terrible, painful skin breakout.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Because it doesn't work that well for everyone. It's not a magic pill to cure alcoholism, it's a strong deterrent to drinking that works best in conjunction with a recovery program.
Yes, and to add - it is hard on the liver, and it needs to be taken exactly as prescribed. Many folks like me, when "trying" to be sober and taking it drink on it, risk what may happen, skip doses.....only when I was DONE drinking first, did taking it the first 90 days of sobriety (and leaving it to my dr's discretion should she determine from our sessions that it would be a good idea to use again) work.

She is a psych versed in addiction and we even created a sheaf of papers with lines for me to sign, date and get witnessed my daily use. It became something routine, I took it noon-one each day, and that paper stayed in my purse all the time.

It was the right choice for me. It was also, as said, just one tool in my recovery plan.