Notices

not sure how much longer I can do this

Old 03-27-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I apologize to folks that i hurt when i say meds are an addiction.

There are all sorts of reasons to take meds. I am offering an opinion for consideration.

Dr.s are so nonchalant about meds. I was taking a statin for cholesterol. I was turning into a zombie.

I quit and told the Dr. He seemed to not care.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Completely agree. There are many amateur psychiatrists that you'll meet in sobriety. They're best to be ignored. Laying unwarranted guilt on someone who's struggling to stay clean really can't be helpful.

John
Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
I take a low dose SSRI, I'm a little offended at the comment that this is an addiction, I don't think such comments help the stigma associated with them already!! I have been on it for a couple of years, before I quit drinking. They work so much better now that I've quit, the help my anxiety no end. I'm working on my anxiety and so will stop the meds when I can, but I see no issue - I have an illness so why shouldn't I take meds for it?
Hope you find a way through.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good move man, thanks. Peace.
Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I apologize to folks that i hurt when i say meds are an addiction.

There are all sorts of reasons to take meds. I am offering an opinion for consideration.

Dr.s are so nonchalant about meds. I was taking a statin for cholesterol. I was turning into a zombie.

I quit and told the Dr. He seemed to not care.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

First of all, congratulations on 127 days, Cobber3. I'm at 33 days sober today, and can really identify with the brain fog, etc.

I try to bear in mind that it took me a long time to get to where I was with alcohol, and can't expect to heal overnight.

I also remind myself the suffering is not coming from being sober, it's coming from years of drinking poison, aka: alcohol.

Like you, I didn't anticipate feeling this bad a month (or 4 months in your case) after quitting, but absolutely believe it will get better.

I'm not a fan of antidepressants (never really worked for me), but I'm also not an expert. I'd urge caution, though, as you do have good days mixed in already?

Hang tough. You can do it! It will get better.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cobber3,

To answer your question, yes, I still have bouts of anxiety. But it's the same type of existential anxiety I've always had since I was a teenager. I also get anxiety when I procrastinate, and I am working very hard to stop procrastinating so I can minimize the anxiety. I used to get A LOT of drink-related anxiety, but that has subsided since I stopped drinking. Anxiety, for me, will probably just be a part of normal life, and I can work on lessening it using different tools (mediation, writing, exercising, etc).

Best of luck to you Cobber3.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Cobber3,

To answer your question, yes, I still have bouts of anxiety. But it's the same type of existential anxiety I've always had since I was a teenager. I also get anxiety when I procrastinate, and I am working very hard to stop procrastinating so I can minimize the anxiety. I used to get A LOT of drink-related anxiety, but that has subsided since I stopped drinking. Anxiety, for me, will probably just be a part of normal life, and I can work on lessening it using different tools (mediation, writing, exercising, etc).

Best of luck to you Cobber3.
Thank you for the feed back!!! Let the journey continue!!! Appreciate ya.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stephan2018 View Post
First of all, congratulations on 127 days, Cobber3. I'm at 33 days sober today, and can really identify with the brain fog, etc.

I try to bear in mind that it took me a long time to get to where I was with alcohol, and can't expect to heal overnight.

I also remind myself the suffering is not coming from being sober, it's coming from years of drinking poison, aka: alcohol.

Like you, I didn't anticipate feeling this bad a month (or 4 months in your case) after quitting, but absolutely believe it will get better.

I'm not a fan of antidepressants (never really worked for me), but I'm also not an expert. I'd urge caution, though, as you do have good days mixed in already?

Hang tough. You can do it! It will get better.

Congrats on 33 days man, thats HUGE!!!! It sounds like you have the right head space with your eyes on the prize. Keep it up dude!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cobber, I'm going on a little over month now (Should be 4 mo, but i relapsed a couple times). I have all kinds of anxiety related problems, but just like others have said, i have good and bad days. I also have good and bad weeks. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of meds either, but i think the SSRI i'm taking is helping. If nothing else, it's helping to calm the obsessive thoughts.

For me the obsessive thoughts are the worst because they try and convince me that i'm going crazy and that leads to more anxiety and more symptoms. The only drug that i've read you need to take caution with in recovery is any type of benzo. Benzo's can be used for physical withdraw, but they are detrimental for the mental side of the house (PAWS). I'm no doctor so take what i'm about to say with a grain of salt, but apparently benzo's work on the same area of the brain as alcohol. So in effect, taking them is the same as drinking.

That said, there are many of us out there doing the right thing and fighting this readjustment period away from booze. Keep posting your progress and i'll do the same. Hopefully doing so will provide hope on the bad days/weeks.

Take care and keep throwing those addiction fighting round-houses!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You are in a tough part. I remember around day 100 I felt wretched - just as you describe.

It gets way, way better - and right now, I am asking you to keep going in pure faith that what you are being told is true.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks madgirl ! I'm at a turning point in my life. I'm in my early 30's have a great family and an amazing job. I have no choice but to push through and be healthy. Just as cobber said, hearing the stories of those who have gone before us helps tremendously!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tommy
Hows it going Cobber?

D