Notices

Sobriety is an amazing experience

Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is an amazing experience

While I have not posted here much I think my past is easy to gain insight on from the posts I have made. I recently went 10 days without alcohol. It was amazing. I felt great, went days without anxiety meds and then came this weekend. I drank. I felt horrible all day today. Something I noticed though has been eye opening. I found that at my worst I have developed a crazy fear of heights. This could be as simple as climbing multiple sets of stairs which I do in my daily work. Anxiety is something I seem to have developed from alcohol however, at the 10 day sober mark it had all but disappeared. My question is how did you overcome anxiety and how did you get sober. I feel like I am finally ready to say so long to alcohol and loved the freedom I felt by not having anxiety for a few days. Sorry for rambling, I am just bummed I drank again.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, the biggest factor in my sobriety is my desire to be sober more than I wanted to drink.

I hope our support can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sephgato
Alcohol took my anxiety to a whole other level. I was once a really good swimmer and I loved to swim but if I think about doing it now I suddenly have this fear of the water like I will drown. I used to walk down stairs without looking at the steps and now I watch my feet to make sure I do not stumble. Like you I am now afraid of heights. I do not trust myself not to fall. I am fully committed to my sober path but I do wonder if I will ever regain my confidence fully in these areas.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a solution!

I'm coming up on ten months and my sobriety is not even something I think about or dwell on very often. Jesus freed me as He said He would in John 8:36. He is THE solution, the only permanent solution for this horrible scourge. Let Jesus transform your heart and your mind and you'll forever escape from your addiction.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

why did you drink again sephgato?

D
Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of my anxiety subsided when I quit drinking. I quit drinking by coming here daily, implementing diet and exercise, listening to podcasts, sobriety literature, etc. I learned to recognize and manage urges, and as I went along, the benefits of sobriety reinforced my decision to quit.

As for the heights issue, towards the end I was having weekly Monday morning anxiety at work, to the point of sweats and upset stomach. This was at a job that I'm entirely capable of and have been doing for 18 years. Anxiety manifests in weird ways sometimes.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had a big fear of heights which can be a bit of a problem on a boat where I have to go up the mast now and again.

About four or five years ago I went to an AA meditation meeting. It didn't really need the AA title as all sorts of people went. I was curious, and I found the imposed discipline of being in a group helped me to sit still for the full 45 minutes. After about half an hour I heard a voice say to me "there is nothing to fear". Clear as a bell. There were only two or three men in the room, and it wasn't one of them.

Anyway, I left after the meeting and didn't think too much more about it. Maybe two weeks later I was doing a job on my boat, went up and down the mast 5 or 6 times, when I suddenly realised I had lost my fear of heights. God removed yet another character defect. The 12 steps have been effective in dealing with fear, among many other things.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe I drank because I was around it and thought that I was over it. Boy was I wrong. I am a binger. I suck down every beer insight until they are gone, I have always been that way. Now that I have had time to reflect I am back on track. The good thing is I have a trip to Florida planned where I will have a week to get away from work and everything to just let my mind clear
Old 03-26-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My anxiety was debilitating. I would shake visibly. Had a difficult time even going to the store. I haven't drank in 4 days. I also haven't had 1 bit of anxiety in 4 days. I never realized that alcohol was causing it.