Notices

Checking in to hold myself accountable

Old 03-25-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in to hold myself accountable

Day 20. Today I am so sick of fighting cravings. For the last week from 2 p.m until I fall asleep at night my brain is saying wine, wine, wine, wine... drink. I have almost caved a few times this week. I don't know how I've managed to not drink. I'm using all of the tools I have and learning more as I go, but, I still have lots of times throughout the day that I truly think I am going to fail. Knowing that these cravings can last a very long time, years even, is very discouraging. I know it's temporary discomfort (albeit daily) for a very good reason, but it is so hard. Hope it let's up at least a little soon.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it’s after 2:00 and you’re out of work and feeling urges, go for a good walk or some kind of moderate exercise. The dopamine will feel great and you’ll have time to reflect on the reasons you’re doing what you’re doing. Keep it up 💪
Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have been walking almost 3 miles daily. It does help. I do have to wait for my partner to get home to take care of the kids so I can go. The wait during those cravings is ridiculously difficult. Lots of chocolate. Herbs. Keeping busy with house stuff. Jumping out of my skin waiting to go for that walk. This is when the wolf howls.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mindfulness may be something else you want to look into, it really helped me. I also find reading and posting on SR daily really helpful.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Breakingcycles View Post
Thank you. I have been walking almost 3 miles daily. It does help. I do have to wait for my partner to get home to take care of the kids so I can go. The wait during those cravings is ridiculously difficult. Lots of chocolate. Herbs. Keeping busy with house stuff. Jumping out of my skin waiting to go for that walk. This is when the wolf howls.
I hear you. Downtime is the worst when it comes time urges because your brain associates those moments with a glass. I think even if you’re trying to keep your body busy with chores, it doesn’t keep it off the brain. Have you thought about something to keep your brain busy whilst you’re around the house. I have this little inexpensive, go-whereever Bluetooth speaker that is AWESOME...links up with my phone, so if I’m shuffling around the house, i listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks to keep my focus on something. Music is great too, but only if the urges are light because a lot of times music is fun (which is great!) but it can make you reminisce about parties, bars, etc
Old 03-25-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that the intensity will die down, and for many, it fades away all together with some flair-ups as time passes.

After my first sober year, I had many days / weeks where drinking was not even a thought in my mind. I got busy with life instead.

It won't always be this hard--you're doing great and keep the distractions and actions going for the moment.
You can do it!
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you checked this link out breakingcycles?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 03-25-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. Today about halfway through my walk, I could literally feel my thought processes changing. I started todays walk not being able to see clearly what av was doing. I was able to get to a point of processing and then to a place of taking note of all of the little improvements that have happened in the last 3 weeks of my life...just because I'm not drinking.

I will keep working to find ways to get through the down time of the witching hours. I know it's worth it. Even when I'm blinded by cravings.

Thank you all again.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just did Dee74. Thank you!