Notices

Went to a pub yesterday night and it felt wierd

Old 03-25-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to a pub yesterday night and it felt wierd

Hi!

Went to a pub yesterday, It was an small underground rock venue and a good friend of mine performed there with her starting punk band.

I didnīt drink, felt wierd seeing all those drunk people, seeing the way they behaved. I was definetly juding them, because I know I used to be just like them. Glad I went, good reminder what alcohol makes me behave like, without trying my self.

Having a nice non-hungover sunday morning coffe .
Old 03-25-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's early days to do something like that, based on your join date. Glad you didn't drink; I know that I sure didn't put myself in any drinking situations.

What's you plan for staying sober?

Glad you're here with us.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was the same way in the early days of sobriety. You have to get used to it. Once you do going out sober will not be a big deal at all.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It's early days to do something like that, based on your join date. Glad you didn't drink; I know that I sure didn't put myself in any drinking situations.

Well, yesterday my plan was to go by car and taking just enough cash to pay the entrance fee. That meant, even if I had a drink somehow, I couldnt get home with my car and I did not have enough money in my pocket even to affoard one drink.

As my plan in general - finally working on 12 step program . First meeting still pending, since Iīm slighty socially awkward and not comfortable around new people.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

John,

Nice job hanging in there during the concert.

I didn't deny myself a fun during my early days. I tried to not make a big deal out of me staying clean...even though it was life or death.

Most of the time folks are not pushy. I can count on 1 hand the times they were...barely. Some folks don't get sobriety. I get that.

For me...going out and doing fun things was always on the table because towards the end of my drinking days, I was denying myself fun because I only wanted to drink until I couldn't walk right.

So going out to a show, if I had a driver, meant I would probably fall asleep during the show.

Goin out to dinner, if I had a driver, meant pre drinking because once I was full, I couldn't get drunk quickly enough. So sad.

Going to friends house, if I had a driver, meant getting wasted and hitting on all the women and wives. It was pathetic.

So me experience is I really am learning to enjoy sober life. The more I do it the better I get at it.

Now sober as a saint, I find myself having amazing experiences more and more. I see folks drinking, but as an addict I don't envy someone having 1 or 2 beers...that never made sense to me.

But, I also don't envy the folks that get drunk. The way drunks act and knowing the ramifications doesn't make sense to me either.

Basically, I am a quietly proud non drinker.

The thing is...I still crave. But, it is weakening each time I deal w life sober.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on a job well done. I'd take yesterday's experience as a constant reminder that sobriety in social settings is achievable.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

You still have to live your life. Going out is way more fun that staying home. Drinking or not.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was too ill to go out much at all for 6 weeks. I wouldn't have trusted myself to go to a bar for live music until around 5 months in. My first live show was at a large venue, not a bar, so I felt a bit more comfortable. It was strange walking past the bars and not getting a drink.

Once I sat down I started getting into the groove, it was an Alt-J show. My friends are a couple. She can't drink for medical reasons (long story) and he was not having a beer for my sake.

I went to the bathroom. On the way back I said screw it. I got a beer for him and a ginger ale for myself, took them back to the seats and enjoyed the rest of the show (better on the last tour, but nothing's perfect.)

After that I was able to go to bars for smaller shows. It WAS strange at first, and watching intoxicated people I definitely couldn't believe that I behaved like that and drank at shows. I got over it. Nothing is better than being present for a show totally sober.

Soberchella is the next challenge.

I'd just be very observant. Even now I have always have an exit plan. About a month or so after the Alt-J show I had an incredibly strong trigger walking past a restaurant serving bottomless bloody marys at brunch. Had my phone out ready to call my counsellor at IOP.

I say do what you need to do to say safely within your limits. For me, I found it got easier.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
You still have to live your life. Going out is way more fun that staying home. Drinking or not.

I'd never suggest people draw the curtains and sit at home in the dark

There's nothing wrong with going out - but I think we can use a little caution and discretion too.

I knew the kind of events that might challenge my newly born recovery and I avoided them til I was stronger

D